WOT correction OFF with Alky?

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Bison has enlightened me to a little problem that has led me to shut down wot correction. The latest info suggests Alky Injection can over enrich the rear cylinders causeing correction to pull fuel resulting in the front cylinders going dangerously lean. We have a few members who have learned the hard way.

Dual nozzle set ups are more prone to this. As the IAT drops Alky will puddle and head right for the rear cylinders. Running alky in cold weather is dangerous as well.

Alky is a wonderful thing but nothing ever seems to be perfect. No doubt there are some great advantages to running it but there is a fine line to what can be safely done.

IAT needs to be hot to flash the alky into vapor. When IAT drops below 70f on a dual nozzle set up you can guarantee akly is puddling. It makes sense if you think about it.

Food for thought.

RL

Man that sucks I stay in seatte guess I will be keeping my air cleaner under the hood for a little extra heat.

That is why I've always pushed port injecting the alky. But don't listen to me. I don't know nothin'.
I guess it's cheaper to repair an engine, than to work out a port injection system.

Bison has enlightened me to a little problem. Recently I shut down wot correction. The latest info suggests Alky Injection can over enrich the rear cylinders causeing correction to pull fuel resulting in the front cylinders going dangerously lean. We have a few members who have learned the hard way.

Dual nozzle set ups are more prone to this. As the IAT drops Alky will puddle and head right for the rear cylinders. Running alky in cold weather is dangerous as well.

Alky is a wonderful thing but nothing ever seems to be perfect. No doubt there are some great advantages to running it but there is a fine line to what can be safely done.

IAT needs to be hot to flash the alky into vapor. When IAT drops below 70f on a dual nozzle set up you can guarantee akly is puddling. It makes sense if you think about it.

Food for thought.

RL

Are the corrections still within bounds?

i have heard of situations like you describe.i was wondering about that very issue but have not noticed the puddling effect yet,we run our cars in the cold as well.one car has a duel nozzle other has a single.i understand the fuel needs a certain temp to flash it,another thing is we run non wideband chips.i always put more fuel in for the colder weather.

I've only been to about -8 degrees F but I guess if it gets cold enough I could have some issues with alky. on the street. :p

I don't use WOT correction though.... :)

Monitoring knock isn't all that difficult on most cars.

What I've found is that you need to inject less alky and richen the targets more and more as the temp drops.

I've only been to about -8 degrees F but I guess if it gets cold enough I could have some issues with alky. on the street. :p

I don't use WOT correction though.... :)

Monitoring knock isn't all that difficult on most cars.
You might not get knock till the instant you hurt it. When under 600hp you have much less to worry about. Once you have enough cylinder pressure to make more than 600hp under 6000rpm you are asking for a lot of trouble if you lean out cylinders. When you are making a lot of power and experience any knock you just hurt it.

That is why I've always pushed port injecting the alky. But don't listen to me. I don't know nothin'.
I guess it's cheaper to repair an engine, than to work out a port injection system.

No no. I didn't mean to leave you out Don. Your posts are very educating as well. We all very much appreciate you and your knowledge. Keep it coming my friend.

Lets talk more about port injecting. My bud Surej was thinking about using a nitrous plate. WDYT?

RL

No no. I didn't mean to leave you out Don. Your posts are very educating as well. We all very much appreciate you and your knowledge. Keep it coming my friend.

Lets talk more about port injecting. My bud Surej was thinking about using a nitrous plate. WDYT?

RL
what about using a nos fogger knozzle

Sounds like one of my old plenum spacers would be the ticket for stopping that. I havent seen one in years since Kirban stopped selling them, tho.

what about using a nos fogger knozzle

Na.. thats not the problem. Its the air distribution. Im pretty sure I was the first person to ever address this way back in the 80s. It doesnt matter how you atomize it, the air path is the same.

Are the corrections still within bounds?

Good question. Personally, I have not experienced it enough to say. I should also add that this can still happen with correction off so it not quick fix, just a precautionary measure at this point. We need to come up with a better way to feed alky equally to all cylinders.

RL

Good question. Personally, I have not experienced it enough to say. I should also add that this can still happen with correction off so it not quick fix, just a precautionary measure at this point. We need to come up with a better way to feed alky equally to all cylinders.

RL
race gas or e85 fixed:D

RL

Would a Power Plate help ??? Or they don't work with faster cars ??

Sounds like one of my old plenum spacers would be the ticket for stopping that. I havent seen one in years since Kirban stopped selling them, tho.

J are you talking a regular old plenum spacer? Like a champion plenum spacer?

Most of us are running RJC power plate. Have to think that helps. No?

RL