New Personal Best with Stock Longblock, Alky, and TA-49

Very Impressive:eek:

I have almost the same setup with alot of new(to me) parts on it now, A new learning curve for me this year:confused:

Haven't run it full out since since my previous best 11.77 about 8+yrs ago:frown: then the trans started to slip, now has built trans.
I'm just hoping to run consistant 11.5's on 93

I used to do the same launching technique but I don't think it ever got up to 20lbs:eek: maybe 13-15.

Pot calling the kettle black
Never, I run M30 worth of Julio Juice to quench the mighty Dragons Fire.:biggrin:

Ok 1KWIK6, now tell me you're locking the stock D5 in 3rd and really make me believe I've read an Aliens post on TB.com. :eek:

This is not the first Buick Ron's had in the 10's

Ron knows how to squeeze the very last drop out of his situation. He previously had a 67 MM turbo and had run upper 10's. What got this push started on this one was reading Bison's thread on the turbo's.. and he figured what the heck, lets give it a shot. A shot indeed.. 10's on a 49.

A few years back at BG there was a car.. Joe Mooney's.. he ran 11.1 at 122 on a GT3255 full weight car on drag radials. So a high 10 sec pass at 124 on a slightly larger turbo=49.. better weather than May.. totally doable :D

The TQ converter is only an issue when the turbo gets larger... once you can get the turbo over the pipe building boost... doesnt matter if its 12 PSI or 20 PSI.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Looks like the stock D5 is holding you back--lol.

Obviously!... lol

Ok 1KWIK6, now tell me you're locking the stock D5 in 3rd and really make me believe I've read an Aliens post on TB.com. :eek:

There's no other way to fly....:D

He previously had a 67 MM turbo and had run upper 10's.

I know I'm splitting hairs here, Julio...... my TE45a was a 66mm
:smile:

You're a GN vendors nightmare in a slow economy, you only need Alky and a set of DR's and you're running high 10's!!!!

You definitely know how to maximize a combo.:cool:

You're a GN vendors nightmare in a slow economy, you only need Alky and a set of DR's and you're running high 10's!!!!

You definitely know how to maximize a combo.:cool:

LOL!! Thanks for the compliment. ;)

Finally, the other stock longblock GN that I had in the 10's had a TE45a turbo and a loose torque converter. I wish that I knew then what I know now. ;)

What exactly do you know now that made a difference. I have a similar setup, but nowhere close to that strong!!!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing

This car is really flying. I don't think he's as close to the edge as some think. I've been running my blue car at over 30psi/23* for over 2 months now. 93 in the tank. I don't really know the boost since I only have a 3 bar and the logs just show 30.4psi the whole time the tps value has been at wot for a second or more. I only have a single 15gph nozzle and about 110 psi pressure. I'd love to see him hit the 10.70's with the 49. A .85 ex housing might help a little here. Definitely possible without dropping weight.

I have to hand it to you I have never heard of anyone being able to foot break at 20 pounds, I could get 10 and that was on a great track, Most the times it was 5 pounds, I run 19 pounds, Would love to feel my car at 30 pounds but the heads would blow through the hood, I run 10.90's on 19 pounds boy 30 pounds would be nice

This car is really flying. I don't think he's as close to the edge as some think. I've been running my blue car at over 30psi/23* for over 2 months now. 93 in the tank. I don't really know the boost since I only have a 3 bar and the logs just show 30.4psi the whole time the tps value has been at wot for a second or more. I only have a single 15gph nozzle and about 110 psi pressure. I'd love to see him hit the 10.70's with the 49. A .85 ex housing might help a little here. Definitely possible without dropping weight.

Bison, what CR are running on your blue car?

I was almost there at 30psi until my GT3255A 'released flares' out the tailpipes :eek:

What exactly do you know now that made a difference. I have a similar setup, but nowhere close to that strong!!!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing

No problem. I now know that a 66mm turbo is OVERKILL on a stock longblock. It also requires a looser converter which ultimately leads to running the stock cam outside of it's optimum rpm range.

Thanks, bison. I'm going to work on the 60' when the cooler air returns this year. I thought about a .85 ex housing or a Precision .63, but I don't think it would work well with the stock tc.

tires spinning

How are you keeping the drag radials from spinning off the line? I don't seem to have a problem building boost on the foot brake, but once I get over say 4-5 lbs, and release the brakes, the tires start spinning. Thanks!

Back on 12/12/2010, I decided to take my '87 GN to State Capitol Raceway in Baton Rouge for it's inaugural passes. The temp was about 50* and the track was well-prepped.

My mods: K&N air filter, LS1 maf, T+, TA-49, AlkyControl single nozzle kit, ThunderFab SLIC, RJC PP, RJC boost controller, hot-wired Walbro fp, TT 6.0 chip, new valvesprings, 50# MSD FI, CK Perf shift kit, 3" THDP, 2.5" dual exhaust, RR airbag, and M/T 275/60 DRs. The only weight savings that I have are Weld Pro-Star rims and removing the front sway bar. All passes on 93 pump gas and alky. I launch the car off the foot brake.

I was pleasantly surprised when my GN's first-ever pass was an 11.22@120.8 through the exhaust on a 1.643 60'. For my next run, I uncapped the exhaust and was rewarded with:

60' - 1.518
330- 4.467
1/8- 6.985
mph- 97.32
1000-9.162
1/4- 11.013
MPH- 121.34

The boost was a hair more than 26#.

Fast forward to 3/6/2011.
I made the following changes to my setup: converted to dual nozzle alky, added ATR rear swaybar, installed Extender chip.

It had rained the previous 2 days and the track was not as well-prepped. The temp was around 58*.

I am still trying to fine-tune my launch with the dual nozzles. My 1st run was a disappointing 60' of 1.718 and 11.13@122.74

The fuel was rich, so I adjusted the boost controller and made another run:

60' - 1.643
330- 4.553
1/8 - 7.027
mph- 99.09
1000-9.166
1/4 - 10.982
MPH- 123.81

The boost maxed at ~29.5#.

I was very happy with the pass, but I wanted to try for another 1.51 60'. After the engine cooled down, I made one more pass:

60' - 1.598
330- 4.522
1/8 - 6.992
mph- 99.29
1000-9.128
1/4 - 10.940
MPH- 124.17

I'm very happy with the performance, but I know that it has at least another tenth in the 60'.

I would like to thank Julio for offering us a convenient and well-designed alky kit. I never would've believed that this kind of performance was available on pump gas.

Finally, the other stock longblock GN that I had in the 10's had a TE45a turbo and a loose torque converter. I wish that I knew then what I know now. ;)

Here is a pic from the track on 3/6/11.....

Nice pass. What kind of stall converter you running?

EDIT: I see you're running a .....D5?????

stock long block as in unopened stock long block??

Correct; except for fresh valvesprings.

How are you keeping the drag radials from spinning off the line? I don't seem to have a problem building boost on the foot brake, but once I get over say 4-5 lbs, and release the brakes, the tires start spinning. Thanks!

Track preparation plays a HUGE role.

Nice pass. What kind of stall converter you running?

EDIT: I see you're running a .....D5?????

Yep.

fastest i heard of was 10.7/125 on a 1.40 60ft.car had slicks,heads/cam,d5 converter,513 gears,and a 44 turbo at 3550 lbs.