What is the weight of a Turbo Buick V6?

Bigglezworth

I'm certain lots of you racers that count pounds can cite this off the top of your head - give or take a few pounds. I'm merely trying to ascertain the weight of a fully equipped stock engine and also that for a Stage II - with either single or dual turbos. I've been contemplating a Buick powerplant in a lightweight sports car as a winter project. A few friends say they would do an LS7 engine swap, but I think they are heavier. Besides I have had GN for years and swear by Buick power.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

my first thought is HEAVY

but I think my stock GN with ttops weighed in around 3670 I don't have the slip in front of me

I saw this number in another thread, so I can't swear that it's true- but it was said that a turbo Buick V6, with transmission attached, weighs 675 lbs.

I don't know about the weight of the motor but if going to an LSx motor, I would go with an aftermarket setup (Block, heads etc.) rather than the LS7 crate motor - more power for less money!

More_Boost!! said:
my first thought is HEAVY

but I think my stock GN with ttops weighed in around 3670 I don't have the slip in front of me

My Bad, I thought you meant the whole car.... sorry i'll read the whole post next time

Mine is 3760 with out my fat arse in it. 86, full weight astroroof GN with only lightweight weld draglights and bloted on front bumber. that is with a 1/2 tank of the good go go juice.

With a full tank of gas mine weighed in at 3,650 pounds. Its a stripper though so that may play into the weight.

How many people are going to respond with the weight of their car and not the weight of the engine? LOL

long block

VadersV6 said:
How many people are going to respond with the weight of their car and not the weight of the engine? LOL

:biggrin:

Just shipped a long block 3.8 with iron heads, intake, pan and front cover. On the freight company's scale, it was 375#'s with a wooden pallet and a metal engine stand.

Keep in mind that the LC2 is an iron block, iron heads where the LS7 is aluminum block and aluminum heads. I'm gonna guess that the LS7 is lighter, when you consider the turbo, intercooler, extra hoses and exhaust work for a turbo setup.

Nick's number seems to be in line with the other number I read- 675 with a 200R4 attached. The chebby is indeed an aluminum block, but it is a bigger engine. More crank, more rods, and the block and heads are longer than the V6 block and heads. If you look around, you will see differing weights, but they are in the range of 450-475 lbs, WITHOUT the transmission. So it looks to me like the Buick combo would be lighter.

Whut said:
With a full tank of gas mine weighed in at 3,650 pounds. Its a stripper though so that may play into the weight.

Don't know about you, but I'd NEVER tip a stripper that heavy.

[ducks]

- Freed

Ormand said:
Nick's number seems to be in line with the other number I read- 675 with a 200R4 attached. The chebby is indeed an aluminum block, but it is a bigger engine. More crank, more rods, and the block and heads are longer than the V6 block and heads. If you look around, you will see differing weights, but they are in the range of 450-475 lbs, WITHOUT the transmission. So it looks to me like the Buick combo would be lighter.
The "chebby" is substantially heavier. An all aluminum twin turbo Buick V6 is 295 lbs. More on it here.

113_0602_01_z+aluminum_buick_v6+ta_performance_engine.jpg

time for a reality check..........

Bigglezworth said:
The "chebby" is substantially heavier. An all aluminum twin turbo Buick V6 is 295 lbs.
Just proves, do not believe all you read in magazines [or on the internet]! :biggrin:

No way in hell the all alum Buick V-6 long block is under 300 pounds. :frown:

That complete twin turbo engine will be near 500 pounds.

Here is how I can verify that:

The bare alum block is 88 lbs, about the same as a stock 109 block, with TA heads you will save about 30lbs. So the complete long block is ~330 lbs. Add the turbos, headers and other stuff shown and you will be at, or over 500 lbs

Just proves, do not believe all you read in magazines [or on the internet]!
Goodness, gracious, Nick! Do you mean that an article with Duttweiler's name on it might be innaccurate! You are an infidel! ;)

Ormand said:
Goodness, gracious, Nick! Do you mean that an article with Duttweiler's name on it might be innaccurate! You are an infidel! ;)

It was also a ridiculous $35,000 for a claimed 700 HP. That's embarassing. You could almost have double the HP out of a SBC for $3,500.

Jim