Trunk mounted ALKY tank...

C

coach

Hey Guys,
I have a request. I have had a friend contact Rick at Metco to see if he might do another run of his spare tire well fuel cells. It makes a perfect ALKY tank and holds 6 gallons. I know Mark H has his done this way and it looks awesome and functions great. Problem is, as Rick states...there is not enough demand and he would need to make like 50 to keep the cost affordable.

All of us that run ALKY, who would be interested in this???

I dont want maybe's or I'll think about it. I know there are others like me who would do this, so now is our time to stand up and be counted. This thread will get forwarded to Rick if the count goes good, and maybe it will persuade him to do a run. The current pump works in this fashion, and you just add a line up to the engine compartment. Run as wire or two and maybe add a float switch, which we can ask Julio about.

Post up your thoughts. I do not have a price, so that would need to be asked to Rick and I will try to do this. I'm just looking for guys who are interested in purchasing.

Thanks
Coach

Nope. He also mentioned it while I was on the Phone with him. He said another run would be nice

This is the only way to go in my opinion. Julio got me all the necessary harnesses to extend everything to the trunk. Only downside is you lose the storage area for the spare tire. No more worrying about the fuel level every time you take the car out. Would suggest that if Metco does another run, maybe some baffles inside them to help keep fluid in the sump of the tank. Sump is not all the way to the rear. I stuffed mine with alky safe fuel cell foam and put a piece in a jar of alky to see if it ever degrades, so far so good.

Here is the thread on my install to try and get this going for you.

metcoalky-002-jpg.89043

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/metco-fuel-cell-install-with-pics.305551/#post-2369687

I thought about this, also, but waited too late to buy the fuel cell.
definitely interested!
Do_O

This is the only way to go in my opinion. Julio got me all the necessary harnesses to extend everything to the trunk. Only downside is you lose the storage area for the spare tire. No more worrying about the fuel level every time you take the car out. Would suggest that if Metco does another run, maybe some baffles inside them to help keep fluid in the sump of the tank. Sump is not all the way to the rear. I stuffed mine with alky safe fuel cell foam and put a piece in a jar of alky to see if it ever degrades, so far so good.

metcoalky-002-jpg.89043

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/metco-fuel-cell-install-with-pics.305551/#post-2369687
Thanks so much Mark. I left you a message on you phone and it was concerning this.
I just went back and read your thread again. How did you get the low level to work? Did you install the switch off your underhood ALKY tank?

metcoalky-002-jpg.89043

Mark super nice, clean looking install, looks great. I understand the reasoning of having a bigger Alky tank but doesn't the Alky need to be preheated to work better ? Also in the event of a collision wouldn't it be safer to have the Alky tank under the hood ? Thanks, Kyle.

Mark super nice, clean looking install, looks great. I understand the reasoning of having a bigger Alky tank but doesn't the Alky need to be preheated to work better ? Also in the event of a collision wouldn't it be safer to have the Alky tank under the hood ? Thanks, Kyle.
A cell is WAYYYYY better on impact then a radiator overflow tank...thats next to the hot engine. I really want to add this. The underhood tank is one reason Buick did not add it from the start. If you watch the Black Air DVD...it's addressed in the extra seminars at the end of the film. The underhood tank would not pass Federal highway standards.
Im not bad mouthing Julios system. I have talked to him about changing out certain items. This idea was brought up by another vendor to me and really got me thinking. I carry a 2 gallon container with me to every event. I would really like to just put in 5-6 gallons and not worry about it.

Coach, believe I got a sensor float deal from Speedway Motors for that. For safety, I installed one of our trunk firewall kits that blocks the interior off from the trunk. This also required removing the speakers from the rear deck as having the firewall and not blocking off the rear deck wouldn't make sense. Ended up putting speakers where those inserts on either side of the back seat are.

If the price is reasonable I'm in. Please let us know what the cost will be for each for that run.

RemoveBeforeFlight

If the price is reasonable I'm in. Please let us know what the cost will be for each for that run.

RemoveBeforeFlight
We have to convince Rick to run another batch. I was told today he is checking on the tooling to see if its still around...cross your fingers!!!

I plan on getting an alky in the future. Probably within a year. So I'd definitely be interested pending price. What did they run last time? I'd like to get a ballpark figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Why not put a 4 gallon on the package tray?
4 gallon cell fitting front.jpg

Then mount pump lower like in the spare tire well?

Just an idea?

I plan on getting an alky in the future. Probably within a year. So I'd definitely be interested pending price. What did they run last time? I'd like to get a ballpark figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick
They were listed at $249.

$250 I can still do. If it goes over $300, that will definitely stretch my funds.
By the time you factor 15 ft of braided hose, new hose from tank to pump, tank itself, vent, check valve, fitting for tank outlet, new wiring, float for tank, etc.. 300 wont cover it. You'll have an easy 200 plus the cost of the tank you decide on. Not counting labor to do the car.

Just saying o_O

Yup, nothing comes cheap but results are worth it. Mounting that tank to ledge in the trunk might be a great idea if the other tanks are not available. I would mount the pump underneath the ledge. That way you would still have space for your spare.