Trunk mounted ALKY tank...

Could we use a 5 gallon fuel cell? What's special about the methanol tank?

Could we use a 5 gallon fuel cell? What's special about the methanol tank?
You could use any cell you want, but we are trying to get the Spare tire cells made again. It is made to fit right in your spare tire well. It takes up no room and is practically hidden. At the beginning of this thread is a link to Mark H's install. It looks killer. Way better then just adding a box shaped cell...IMHO.

Look up thread titled...Performance Parts in for sale. Has one listed.

Ok fellas,
Look what showed up on Friday. I was contacted by Cal Hartline after I posted and bought a tank he had sitting in the back of his shop.
I had it sent from Hartline's to Julio at Alky Control. Julio installed the correct brass fitting and a new GM float level.
He also included a new plug in wiring harness for the fuel level and a check valve.
I decided to get a new ALKY pump for my build and have my other pump rebuilt for a spare.
I will mount the tank and pump and then run some rope where I want the feed line to go and Julio will make the lines to my specs down the road. I need to fab up a nice bracket to mount the pump in the rear of the car.
But...just knowing I don't need to carry a jug around with more Meth makes this all worth it. I can drive to Norwalk and race and drive home on the 6 gallons it holds. That's nice.

image-1042069928.jpg
image-2512898168.jpg
image-2171303505.jpg
image-4215792784.jpg

charlief1 said:
Does anyone make a tank that would fit on the left side of the trunk? I actually like having my spare in the car.

Look back through this thread. Julio posted a pic of one.

regalracer1987 said:
id buy one i run 25 psi all the time on the street and tired of filling up two or three times a night

Do you have a leak?!?!? I can run 27-28psi for an entire weekend show and only use maybe a tank and a half.

Not to hijack further but a 11.50 car can run to 10-12 1/4 mile passes with dial on 6 stock heads small turbo at 26 psi...So something aint right

no leaks just heavy footed driver i usually take it out for 100+ mile cruise when its out and it gets the snot beat out of it every time thers an open road

regalracer1987 said:
no leaks just heavy footed driver i usually take it out for 100+ mile cruise when its out and it gets the snot beat out of it every time thers an open road

I think your pump is leaking at full pressure. 150psi is max and it can leak. It won't leak at idle or just sitting, just when the pump head is put under load. I know the TAI ( Turbo Alcohol Injected) guys are only using 1/2 gallon or so to run 4-5 full 1/4 mile blasts at up to 30#'s of boost. That means they could go 30 full passes and barely use 3 gallons.

i'm out of said group purchase, gathered a bunch of stainless from work, gonna fab up a tank for the spare tire well. i'll post pics when its done :)

So, are the trunk units coming back...?

If you set up for a stainless or aluminum, shoot me a price if you don't mind. Need 2-3 of them...

jcb2210@sbcglobal.net

Methanol eats aluminum, it has to be stainless or plastic- i'm not a vendor here and i dont have the infrastructure to produce multiples, its just a fun one-off build, probably gonna take me a couple days lol. I'll post pics in the fab section when its done in case anyone wants to bust out their tig and copy it-

coach said:
Ok fellas,
Look what showed up on Friday. I was contacted by Cal Hartline after I posted and bought a tank he had sitting in the back of his shop.
I had it sent from Hartline's to Julio at Alky Control. Julio installed the correct brass fitting and a new GM float level.
He also included a new plug in wiring harness for the fuel level and a check valve.
I decided to get a new ALKY pump for my build and have my other pump rebuilt for a spare.
I will mount the tank and pump and then run some rope where I want the feed line to go and Julio will make the lines to my specs down the road. I need to fab up a nice bracket to mount the pump in the rear of the car.
But...just knowing I don't need to carry a jug around with more Meth makes this all worth it. I can drive to Norwalk and race and drive home on the 6 gallons it holds. That's nice.

Very interested in getting this set up. I will sell my girl friends dog for it.

Just make more sense to go this route and keep all the fuel and weight in back where it belongs. Not to mention less clutter under the hood

Thanks Joe

I like this idea alot, i'm just not far enough along in my build to jump in here. Hope on is around when i'm ready, would love to do this...

You could use any cell you want, but we are trying to get the Spare tire cells made again. It is made to fit right in your spare tire well. It takes up no room and is practically hidden. At the beginning of this thread is a link to Mark H's install. It looks killer. Way better then just adding a box shaped cell...IMHO.

You will be happy you made this decision. I have been running this setup for 6 years now and very pleased with it. Here's my old thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/whats-better-than-alkycontrol.223323/