Summit Racing Breather Tank

Paulmac201

I was on here a few weeks ago discussing smoke coming through my open breathers on both valve covers on my 1987 Buick GN. A mechanic inspected the car and the piston and rings are fine, good compression, and it is not a head gasket. I was told to Add a Breather tank from Summit Racing. I bought the Breather Tank (part number SUM 300104), rubber hose, and fittings.

I assume I need to pipe both valve covers into this breather can? Should I install a PCV valve in each valve cover and then run the hose from each PCV valve into the Breather Can? Any help is appreciated.

THANKS, PAUL

CDE28A62-780E-4D84-A3F8-4F542ECBD5FE.jpeg

I think something else is wrong. I temporarily ran this breather tank and look at the smoke still coming out.

All that tank does is concentrate the fumes to 1 location.
If the original pcv is leaking, the boost is blowing into the crank case and creating the smoke/fumes.
A real catch can: Mightymouse Catch Cans

I looked at those
Not cheap

Ran a Moroso catch can with mesh media that worked decent

My concern is the amount of smoke from both valve covers when running the open breathers on each cover. I piped both valve covers into the Breather Tank and the smoke was coming out of the Breather Tank when I revved the engine. A decent amount of exhaust too. Enough to see smoke behind me in the rear view mirror. Any suggestions what the problem can be? A mechanic says the pistons and rings were fine and the car has good compression.

Pull the down pipe and look for oil going thru the turbo.
Did you confirm the pcv is working?

I need to confirm about the PCV but the mechanic said he replaced the check valve that is apparently in line with the PCV valve. With a new check valve it is still smoking. Thanks.

I need to confirm about the PCV but the mechanic said he replaced the check valve that is apparently in line with the PCV valve. With a new check valve it is still smoking. Thanks.
There is no check valve "in line" with the PCV, unless someone put it there. The PCV is the check valve.

Pull your PCV & apply a regulated 12-15 PSI to verify that it seals against that pressure.

No Bueno:

Pull your PCV & apply a regulated 12-15 PSI to verify that it seals against that pressure.

No Bueno:
Thanks for the information. I will try that.

Here is a video of what I am dealing with. It is also smoking from the dual exhaust when driving it. Pretty good stream of smoke - enough to see it in the rearview mirror.

Attachments

• Blowby.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
You have problems no catch can is going to fix.
I suggest you find another mechanic.
As I said before.. Look at the turbo and the PCV.
However, I doubt it's the pvc.. Way too much volume.
Also pull the up pipe and look in the manifold... It'll be full of oil as is the intercooler.

Hold a cold mirror (stick it in the refrigerator for a while) up to the "smoke" stream, if it's steam, it will condense into water on the cold mirror. Then look at your head or intake manifold gasket(s).
I second the "you need a different "mechanic" statement, regardless.
We installed a Vintage Air system on a camaro here in Phx,az. The customer drove it to California on vacation, and complained about "smoke" coming from the A/C vents, it was fog from the COLD air conditioner!
TIMINATOR

Hold a cold mirror (stick it in the refrigerator for a while) up to the "smoke" stream, if it's steam, it will condense into water on the cold mirror. Then look at your head or intake manifold gasket(s).
I second the "you need a different "mechanic" statement, regardless.
We installed a Vintage Air system on a camaro here in Phx,az. The customer drove it to California on vacation, and complained about "smoke" coming from the A/C vents, it was fog from the COLD air conditioner!
TIMINATOR
You have problems no catch can is going to fix.
I suggest you find another mechanic.
As I said before.. Look at the turbo and the PCV.
However, I doubt it's the pvc.. Way too much volume.
Also pull the up pipe and look in the manifold... It'll be full of oil as is the intercooler.
I verified a new heavy duty PCV valve was installed (Part #7302). I guess I can rule out a PCV valve problem.

Thanks for the information. I will try that.

Here is a video of what I am dealing with. It is also smoking from the dual exhaust when driving it. Pretty good stream of smoke - enough to see it in the rearview mirror.
The PCV valve is a new heavy duty (part #7302). So I should look at the next possible cause of the problem.

You
will
check
the
downpipe for
oil
as chuck said
yes?

you separate down pipe from turbo

if oil there

turbo seal bad
you replace