hot wire probems white racing

Doug G

Last spring I installed new valve springs on by daughters GN. Put everything back together and would not start. Got super busy all summer and now getting bock to it. I am guessing that there is some I messed up putting it back together. This car had a lot of mods done to it by Whites Racing and Marine but they are no longer in business.

First problem is that turning on the key will not turn on fuel pump. This car has Whites hot wire kit. I went to the back of the car disconnected the wires and used a power probe to run fuel pump and it is fine. Traced the red wire up to relay on drivers fender. Power wire goes to alternator, exciter wire is brown and goes to what looks like a hobbs switch. If I power the brown wire get instant 40 psi of fuel pressure. Attached pictures of wiring at tank, and the switch at the alternator. Any ideas?

Attachments

• fuel tank.jpg
    fuel tank.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 64
  • hobbsl switch.jpg
    hobbsl switch.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 63
The wire at the fuel tank does not look plugged in all the way. Is this a dual pump setup?
Most hot wires pull the turn on for the relay from the stock wiring. the 2nd pump would turn on from the hobbs switch. This setup seems a bit janky.

The wire at the fuel tank does not look plugged in all the way. Is this a dual pump setup?
Most hot wires pull the turn on for the relay from the stock wiring. the 2nd pump would turn on from the hobbs switch. This setup seems a bit janky.
It is plugged in. Only one pump. Doubt it is janky, very clean install. The problem is Dan White died and I do not have installation directions or wiring diagram.

As I have looked the system over more I think that the hot wire system is not the problem. I think it is the stock wiring to the fuel pump that is not working. This hot wire system is designed to come online only when the engine is in boost. So any info on what to look for in the stock system will help.

It is plugged in. Only one pump. Doubt it is janky, very clean install. The problem is Dan White died and I do not have installation directions or wiring diagram.
Okay, in the picture the orange plug looks like it is not pushed in all the way because I can see the rubber part, The gray wire on the original plug is not connected, this would be the original power wire to the pump. The middle should be the fuel sender and the other should be ground. The only power going to the pump is the hotwire. Can you take a picture of the relay setup for the hotwire?

I believe that’s not a Hobbs switch. It
looks like Red Armstrongs volt booster. Besides you wouldn’t need a Hobbs switch for a single pump setup..
That makes a lot more sense. According to the Hot Rod mag article on this car it does have a voltage booster.

That is a Hobbs switch. You are correct that it is for boosting voltage.
Last spring I installed new valve springs on by daughters GN. Put everything back together and would not start. Got super busy all summer and now getting bock to it. I am guessing that there is some I messed up putting it back together. This car had a lot of mods done to it by Whites Racing and Marine but they are no longer in business.

First problem is that turning on the key will not turn on fuel pump. This car has Whites hot wire kit. I went to the back of the car disconnected the wires and used a power probe to run fuel pump and it is fine. Traced the red wire up to relay on drivers fender. Power wire goes to alternator, exciter wire is brown and goes to what looks like a hobbs switch. If I power the brown wire get instant 40 psi of fuel pressure. Attached pictures of wiring at tank, and the switch at the alternator. Any ideas?
Thanks for the responses everyone. The problems on this car are just over my head. Fortunately I am friends with Denny Manner and Roberta Vaslow. They have tuned me in to the man that wrote the service manual for the turbo V6 and he wants me to bring it over to his garage. We can't do it until November but should be worth the wait. When we get it done I will get back to all of you. Not putting the name out yet as I do not have permission from him.