this 8 second stock block.

If you want to see some interesting comparisons, start using HP per cu in disp. You'll start seeing the limitations of the 2 valve head real quick.

No, I'm saying that an awd dsm has the same weight disadvantages to overcome as the buicks.....

Point was someone says a DSM stock block went 7's.. Then you say they weigh 3200+ lbs.. I reply has a DSM 4g63 run 8's weighing 3400 lbs?

156 MPH + 3400lbs + OEM block + 20+ years old. Thats the point to this thread.

I'm on a Buick board.. I have my bias :p

What does this imply? That the race classes calling for a 109 block are no longer relevant? Because if you're able to throw huge $$$ at a 109 block you can run 8s? Isn't the reason for having 109 classes to limit costs - more players, closer competition?

Personally, I'm not surprised a 109 block has gone 8s. I'd go so far as to say it was inevitable. Maybe the rules should be revised to no studs, no girdles, no clamps, no hard blocking, OEM caps...

strike

Maybe the rules should be revised to no studs, no girdles, no clamps, no hard blocking, OEM caps...

strike

Sounds like a great idea if you could get enough volunteers to cleanup all the oil, antifreeze, and broken parts from the track...:D

What does this imply? That the race classes calling for a 109 block are no longer relevant? Because if you're able to throw huge $$$ at a 109 block you can run 8s? Isn't the reason for having 109 classes to limit costs - more players, closer competition?

Personally, I'm not surprised a 109 block has gone 8s. I'd go so far as to say it was inevitable. Maybe the rules should be revised to no studs, no girdles, no clamps, no hard blocking, OEM caps...

strike

Should be an unlimited/outlaw class any turbo/any combination..Keep a minimum weight.. bring the ET's down.. generate more interest in the cars.. value of cars go up up up... :D

Limit the classes, limit the power.. make em run 10's.. value goes down.

The Buick TR is one of the baddest cars ever made.. make em shine.. make run the numbers..

Cant afford the sandbox.. play in another one. Thats the problem with classes.. they get into bickering over spoiler colors, wheel well modifications, and the definition of what "Stock" is.

Power to guys like Kearney that see the 8 second barrier within his grasp and does what it takes to "Get the Job Done". This 8 second pass adds another notch to the Legend of the GN. People can bitch all they want.. or say $$$ did it.. or.. whatever. Doesnt matter.. It got done. Period.

When your hunk runs 9.50's.. then you'll see what it takes to go 8's.

Is this the same motor that comes with steel rods and crank?:rolleyes: Come on ... not even on the same ball park. Im sure if Buick 109s came built the same way this accomplishment would not be such a big deal. Lets stop comparing apples to oranges.:mad:

So your saying this buick that ran 8's didn't have steel rods and a steel crank? How is this not apples to apples?

Razor said he would like to see a Ls1 or a Mustang run 8's with a stock block, and I did him one better, completely stock long block.

Razor said he would like to see a Ls1 or a Mustang run 8's with a stock block, and I did him one better, completely stock long block.

3400 lbs? Completely stock longblock...

Please post link :)

It does not cost more to build a TSM engine than a Quality stage II. You take the new stroker kits Dan and Mike are selling. Those combo's have been well into the 9's already. Can't get much more affordable than that!

I agree that it may not cost more to build, but will cost more to maintain at those power levels. Its easy to build a "more affordable" TSM engine with the kits available now without a doubt. Most of these 800+ hp TSM engines are running a steel crank and revving to 7000+ rpm. Theres a lot more than most would even think of involved in these engines. Its not something that most would be able to duplicate on a budget. I was trying to say that if you plan on running 150mph than you are better off starting with better parts unless you are limited by the class. Somehow after seeing a thread like this some will think they can do the same or nearly the same. They dont have a clue as to what else is involved. The biggest thing being big $:biggrin: .

Should be an unlimited/outlaw class any turbo/any combination..Keep a minimum weight.. bring the ET's down.. generate more interest in the cars.. value of cars go up up up... :D

Limit the classes, limit the power.. make em run 10's.. value goes down.

The Buick TR is one of the baddest cars ever made.. make em shine.. make run the numbers..

Cant afford the sandbox.. play in another one. Thats the problem with classes.. they get into bickering over spoiler colors, wheel well modifications, and the definition of what "Stock" is.

Power to guys like Kearney that see the 8 second barrier within his grasp and does what it takes to "Get the Job Done". This 8 second pass adds another notch to the Legend of the GN. People can bitch all they want.. or say $$$ did it.. or.. whatever. Doesnt matter.. It got done. Period.

When your hunk runs 9.50's.. then you'll see what it takes to go 8's.

Julio me lo puedes decir en espanol, thank you:D

I agree that it may not cost more to build, but will cost more to maintain at those power levels. Its easy to build a "more affordable" TSM engine with the kits available now without a doubt. Most of these 800+ hp TSM engines are running a steel crank and revving to 7000+ rpm. Theres a lot more than most would even think of involved in these engines. Its not something that most would be able to duplicate on a budget. I was trying to say that if you plan on running 150mph than you are better off starting with better parts unless you are limited by the class. Somehow after seeing a thread like this some will think they can do the same or nearly the same. They dont have a clue as to what else is involved. The biggest thing being big $:biggrin: .

Yeah getting there and living there is too different things, agreed! I have been told these new kits are good up to 1000hp:eek:

I also agree that a 1000hp Stage II engine will live longer than a 1000hp 109.

I am still a newbie at engine knowledge but I listen real good when the experts explain stuff to me. This has been a big topic of conversation latley:biggrin:

I have to say. If more people try accomplishing this same feat, we are going to see 109 blocks becoming very rare indeed. Not to discourage anyone. I'm the last person to do that, but I don't believe in building ticking time bombs. I hate the cleanup after a major incident. Take my word for it. It isn't fun. The records been made. Don't tempt fate.

For those that go for it. I'll back you up with all fingers crossed.

Don,
I agree with what your saying to a point. I will say that Dick's motor appears to be fine. So much so, that he's probably going to just swap the turbo and run it next season as is. I wouldn't have been afraid to get back in his car and run the ET I think it's capable of. I'm just not sure what that would prove.

I have to say. If more people try accomplishing this same feat, we are going to see 109 blocks becoming very rare indeed. Not to discourage anyone. I'm the last person to do that, but I don't believe in building ticking time bombs. I hate the cleanup after a major incident. Take my word for it. It isn't fun. The records been made. Don't tempt fate.

For those that go for it. I'll back you up with all fingers crossed.

good point dude and ill X my fingers too.

now lets stick that set up into a 80's chevette you could scratch the 7ns.
those guys are tham good.
and good luck to them all.

Don,
I agree with what your saying to a point. I will say that Dick's motor appears to be fine. So much so, that he's probably going to just swap the turbo and run it next season as is. I wouldn't have been afraid to get back in his car and run the ET I think it's capable of. I'm just not sure what that would prove.

Let the record stand for awhile. If someone betters it, and that won't be for quite some time, then go out and top it. You can now afford to kick back and bask in the accomplishment. Everyone would just be sick for you guys if you scattered it. Metal fatigue is a very hard thing to measure.

Don,

We should have borrowed it for Orlando!;)
Hope all is well dude!

An 03 Mustang Cobra can run 8's with a completely stock long block, and it's only 281 cubic inches. They'll do it at 3400+ also.

I've never heard of an 03-04 cobra running 8's on a stock long block...mid-high 9's aren't uncommon though. Most of those guys that are runnings 9's in the cobra are turbo'd.