Thinking of racing Drag Radials, how big

clean86

Thinking of racing Drag Radials, how big can I go

Hi all, I am thinking of racing my car in the west coast racing series[ PSCA ] But the slowest class is way to fast and $$$ for me to go racing again. They do have a DR class that seems like it may be fun! I was woundering what the biggest DR ,Nitto or BFG, anyone has fit under there cars? And has anyone gotten them to REALLY hook. Guy's in NMRA are running 8.60's at over over 160 with 1.4-5 short times. Cars in PSCA arn't even close, so I would like to make a go of this and any help on how to really get these things to work would be great.

THX

I just tried my 87T with 275/50-15 BFG DR's, on stock 7 inch rims. Car basically stock with 120K. Turning 1.9 60 ft. on a fun-and-grudge night. They dont prep track much.

Later,

John

If you learn to launch your car with DR you should be able to hit some 1.60-1.7 on them. It takes time thats normal, for sure your first pass wont even come close to those 60'. It also all depends on your suspension setup and I'll take myself as an exemple.

Two years back I was running stock 215/65/R15 in the back on a 450hp+ street car, but since I have a full drag suspension (Hotchkiss upper-lower, 50/50, 90/10) well I was able to get 3-4psi launch with no wheel spin :eek: . Now the I've puted some 275/50/15 BF Drag Radials in the back I can get some 7-8psi in the street with NO wheel spin at all.

If in your case you're still running a stock suspension, well it's totally another thing and the results wont be as good.

I went a 1.59 on 275 Nittos in Bristol last year.....1.60 this year there. Consistent 1.6's. Trans brake works well to shock the tires. 12 psi hot in tires. Just takes some practice and finesse..Track prep has alot to do with it as well...Boxed lowers, air bags (with 5 psi right 0 left), and adjustable front shocks....otherwise stock suspension....Scott

THX guy's, Right now I have stock uppers and lowers, 1 bag r side and am using 28x12.5 et streets and am getting high 1.7 60's . A friend of mine has an ART rear bar for me and boxed uppers. Should I get some adj lowers, and if so what pinion angle should I run. The NMRA guy's are using 6 deg, but I do drive the car on the street a little.

Anything else you think I should try?

What about size? A lot of the real fast cars are running 315x60's or 295x50's but on 8" rims. What do you think?

The faster NMRA DR guys are are running 1.3's to 1.4's 60's on 325/50-15's and at 150-165mph.. It depends on how fast you wanna go because if you make too much power you may need to dial it back a bit to maintain traction..

ks:)

Two weeks ago I ran the DR class at the World Street Finals. I had never ran them before so didn't get to optimize my launch. My best 60' was only a 1.58 which resulted in a 9.342@151. I made 2 more passes which were 9.350 and 9.412. These were done on a 325/50/15 on 10" rims. If I run the class next year, I plan on running the 315/60/15 tires. They have a larger footprint and would probably help my car out the back door. With some practice I could have dropped my 60' another .10

Hope that helps

Without notching the frame, 275/60 is the best size to go with. The taller sidewall and longer contact patch makes them hook slightly better than the 275/50's