SR7 Performance - anyone here dealt with them?

1993 F -bodies used the 700-R4/4L60.
So yes it had a TV cable.

Scott Seven, owner of SR7 argued me UP AND DOWN that they did not come with a TV cable, I already knew they did. THAT is when I knew I was in trouble. He told me how good and experienced trans guy he was yada yada, did everything but call me a dumbass...until I popped it on him that I was a 12 year ASE cert dealer tech. :wink: AND HE STILL SAID THEY DID NOT COME WITH A TV CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also told me a 93-94 F body case was the same, numerous times.

David

I would not be suprised if he sent me a junk transmission....if he did I will send it to Frank @ CPT...

Apparently youre not gonna learn much from this expensive mistake and take it to a good builder next time.

Ask Rossler or Bowler(2 of the best in the buisness) about the 700r4/4l60e and see what they say if you dont believe those here.

And CPT still equals real Art Carr;)A man who SOLD his name,kinda like Mr Transmission sold his;)

Apparently youre not gonna learn much from this expensive mistake and take it to a good builder next time.

Ask Rossler or Bowler(2 of the best in the buisness) about the 700r4/4l60e and see what they say if you dont believe those here.

And CPT still equals real Art Carr;)A man who SOLD his name,kinda like Mr Transmission sold his;)

So from the quote above, you do not consider Frank@Cahall a "good" builder I assume?

3 or so years ago ,there were really only 3 or 4 people who could make a 4L60E live any length of time, Rossler, FLP,Combination Motorsports and one other that my memory is failing me on. Most were over $3500 per unit back THEN!

I did not even know about Frank then. And If I would have known Combination Motorsports was not building their transmissions in house I would not have went that route for sure.That is ALWAYS a recipe for disaster.

And as far as the CPT- Art Carr deal. I read Art Carr's shop went belly up. And for me if a man sells HIS NAME, he aint worth a crap anyway.

I think the real reason his new company is "CPT" is that if you have a company that you file bankrupt on, you cannot re-open another with the same name. Or so I understand it that way.

Oh I have learned PLENTY on this little ride, believe me on that one.

David

No I do not consider Frank a good builder.If he was,he would have nothing hide.

They were $3500 because you get what you pay for with new stuff as Chris and Jake have pointed out.

Sucks to get burned on an expensive trans or any other part for that matter.Lots of guys here with high HP and heavy cars have learned the lesson long ago that od transmissions CAN last long but that certainly isnt the case on most of em.

No I do not consider Frank a good builder.If he was,he would have nothing hide.

They were $3500 because you get what you pay for with new stuff as Chris and Jake have pointed out.

Sucks to get burned on an expensive trans or any other part for that matter.Lots of guys here with high HP and heavy cars have learned the lesson long ago that od transmissions CAN last long but that certainly isnt the case on most of em.

Frank is "hiding" something? Do tell.

David

Chris asked him what he does special to it to get it to live reliably in the 9's and he points out a 11 second car.

Go back and reread Chris' posts.

Your hard earned $$$$,its up to you to make the descision of who you want to build the rare "indestructible" 4l60e.

Personally,id go to a different trans but if I had to have the 4l60,Rossler would be getting the nod.

Chris asked him what he does special to it to get it to live reliably in the 9's and he points out a 11 second car.

Go back and reread Chris' posts.

Your hard earned $$$$,its up to you to make the descision of who you want to build the rare "indestructible" 4l60e.

Personally,id go to a different trans but if I had to have the 4l60,Rossler would be getting the nod.

Why would a man give up his trade secrets? I damn sure would not. That is his livelyhood. ANd it REALLY cracks me up that you guys just "EXPECT" it from him.

His rep has been made on camaroz28.com...and on top of that I consider him a standup guy...in other words, a man of his word. Not many of those left, VERY rare in the business world.

And for the record, no trans, ESPECIALLY an overdrive trans is "indestructable" If it lives a year and 5-8000 miles of street and strip, you got a good one. Especially at the weight my car is and the power it makes, or I HOPE it makes.

David

No trade secrets as hes not doing anything different than anyone else im sure.

Go ahead and buy his trans and prove me wrong!!!

You first;)

Why would a man give up his trade secrets? I damn sure would not. That is his livelyhood. ANd it REALLY cracks me up that you guys just "EXPECT" it from him.

His rep has been made on camaroz28.com...and on top of that I consider him a standup guy...in other words, a man of his word. Not many of those left, VERY rare in the business world.

And for the record, no trans, ESPECIALLY an overdrive trans is "indestructable" If it lives a year and 5-8000 miles of street and strip, you got a good one. Especially at the weight my car is and the power it makes, or I HOPE it makes.

David

David,
I don't think anybody expects him to give up trade secrets. If he has a certain calibration he uses in the pressure circuits, a few little tricks here and there, cool.
You don't see Bruce on here telling his VB calibrations for the 200-4R, and Chris isn't going to tell everyone his either (but pretty damn close).

If you look at this forum, look at the top, Bruce has an excellent article on the 200-4R. I don't do business with him but I do refer people to the article as a starting point.
He shared a considerable amount of experience and time to write that article, I applaud him for that.

I applaud Chris for his sharing of a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Mike (BlackPlague)

Lonnie (quick6) IIRC.

And others.

Frank claims he can build a very tough unit for $1400. I don't doubt his credibility. He seems to have a good rep on CZ28, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and listen because I'm SURE I can learn something from him.

However,
there are quite a few of us who build these things and know what breaks.
The 4L60 has seen a lot of upgrades, OEM and aftermarket, in the last 20+ yrs, and really has come a long ways, but I still haven't seen many last in a 9 second car to what I would consider "reliable".
I've "heard" of them from guys like Frank and Dana (pro-Built) who claim it can be done.
Maybe the trick is the super deep rear ratio, which seems counter-productive, etc.

However a 9 second capable trans for under $1400 is quite a feat.
Hopefully Tony doesn't mind but I'll post some links.
Tony is the lead trans guy at Hughes. I email back and forth with him and talk shop occasionally. Sharp guy, he messes with alot of 4L60Es and I believe has done some R&D type work for GM.

57084l65e02.jpg

4L65 input shaft

5708700input5.jpg

700 shaft

4L65E-broken.jpg

4l65E broken output...

David,
I don't think anybody expects him to give up trade secrets. If he has a certain calibration he uses in the pressure circuits, a few little tricks here and there, cool.
You don't see Bruce on here telling his VB calibrations for the 200-4R, and Chris isn't going to tell everyone his either (but pretty damn close).

If you look at this forum, look at the top, Bruce has an excellent article on the 200-4R. I don't do business with him but I do refer people to the article as a starting point.
He shared a considerable amount of experience and time to write that article, I applaud him for that.

I applaud Chris for his sharing of a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Mike (BlackPlague)

Lonnie (quick6) IIRC.

And others.

Frank claims he can build a very tough unit for $1400. I don't doubt his credibility. He seems to have a good rep on CZ28, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and listen because I'm SURE I can learn something from him.

However,
there are quite a few of us who build these things and know what breaks.
The 4L60 has seen a lot of upgrades, OEM and aftermarket, in the last 20+ yrs, and really has come a long ways, but I still haven't seen many last in a 9 second car to what I would consider "reliable".
I've "heard" of them from guys like Frank and Dana (pro-Built) who claim it can be done.
Maybe the trick is the super deep rear ratio, which seems counter-productive, etc.

However a 9 second capable trans for under $1400 is quite a feat.
Hopefully Tony doesn't mind but I'll post some links.
Tony is the lead trans guy at Hughes. I email back and forth with him and talk shop occasionally. Sharp guy, he messes with alot of 4L60Es and I believe has done some R&D type work for GM.

57084l65e02.jpg

4L65 input shaft

5708700input5.jpg

700 shaft

4L65E-broken.jpg

4l65E broken output...

Kind of reminds me of the 200 4-R ten years ago. Twisting and breaking shafts, stripping out splines, and cracking carriers:eek: . Luckily the 200-4R's ills have been taken care of for a while and almost all TR's fall above the breakage level at this point.

True,
and I can see almost every issue eventually being taken care of in a 4L60 including the drum/input shaft breakage with aftermarket parts. However the 3-4 clutches just seem like they are going to be an issue unless the drum is designed to allow a different method of applying the clutches. With an 8 clutch 3-4 and thick steels, I don't even believe it is a friction area problem, so much as an apply issue.

On a 200-4R you can dual feed, increase line, install an aluminum piston or ring to help dissipate heat, etc. You can only increase the pressure in a 4L60 and then probably not as much as you can in a 200.

The funny thing is,
in a few yrs we'll all have forgotten the 200 and 4L60s and be talking about 6 speed autos and how to make them live. :)

Let us know fatboy... interesting... just met up with someone that says dear ol' Scotty keeps hitting him up for $$$... maybe doesn't have any of his own... again! :eek:

Let us know fatboy... interesting... just met up with someone that says dear ol' Scotty keeps hitting him up for $$$... maybe doesn't have any of his own... again! :eek:

Are you referring to Scott@SR7? If so I could see why he has no money.

I should have the car running this weekend, I have to do some torque arm mods first, then install the trans.

I will keep this thread updated as to how the trans does. I am scheduled to be on Ed Wrights dyno on the 31st of this month, then to Cruising the COast in October, then when it cools off outside it will go to the track.

If it does not live in the car it will be sent to Cahall, pics will be taken of whats inside. If it is junk you will know. Because of the post by Luke Juke, I see no need to send it back to Scott@SR7. He will find a way to not honor the warranty and charge to fix it.

David

Any updates? This thread died.

David

Died?? That's exactly what Chris was hoping it would do. Don't worry, I won't let it die, until we finally make sure Chris is labelled the liar he is. No build numbers = a huge liar.

Frank
CPT

The trans is in the car this morning, I am buttoning it up now. The case is different from what I had. I had to cut a big ear off the trans on the passenger side to clear my headers. I trimmed the drivers side also. The bellhousing is shaped much differently from what I had, the "hump" on the back is higher...makes it much harder to get the top bellhousing bolts in.

Also my dust cover will not go on, it has 4 1/2 inch holes in it, this case is not made this way, it has 4 very small holes in the corners and I had to cut one of those off with the ear I trimmed off. Will it hurt it to run without a dust cover? I know it came with one, but it aint like I am going mud riding. Seems lie it would run cooler without one. Anyone GOT one that will work?

SHould be running late tonight, got to do some suspension mods and then button it up.

Oh yeh, Frank very sorry for waking you up this morning....you one hell of a guy.

David

Are you referring to Scott@SR7? If so I could see why he has no money.

I should have the car running this weekend, I have to do some torque arm mods first, then install the trans.

I will keep this thread updated as to how the trans does. I am scheduled to be on Ed Wrights dyno on the 31st of this month, then to Cruising the COast in October, then when it cools off outside it will go to the track.

If it does not live in the car it will be sent to Cahall, pics will be taken of whats inside. If it is junk you will know. Because of the post by Luke Juke, I see no need to send it back to Scott@SR7. He will find a way to not honor the warranty and charge to fix it.

David

I do hope you get lucky FASTFATBOY.
How long did it take to even get the tranny? I waited 3 months for mine and even if Scott would have honered the warrenty it would of been another 6 months before he got to it Im sure. Im always hearing more horror stories down here in Vegas about the guy. I heard he owed a lot of people a lot of money also. No need to wonder why. The guy always struck me as a con artist and would constantly put down anyone else that built trannies for a living. Its sad that you have to put it on a dyno. I think any self respecting builder would use one. I remember asking Scott if he used one and he said he didnt need to because he was the best performance tranny builder in the nation. Yeah I should have known.
Anyway the best of luck to you FASTFATBOY. Keep us posted.
Luke

I am sooooo glad I started this thread.:rolleyes:

Dave, call me when it's back from Wright's, I wanna ride in it before it goes back under the (tranny) knife. J/K (I hope.)

Richard