Spark plug gap for street driving

hotairgnx548

hotairgnx548
Reciently Quit racing. What would be a good gap for A/C 43ts plugs on the street.Would .032/.035 be too tight? I always ran NGK ur5 @ .028 at the track. Car in my signature basically. John

Reciently Quit racing. What would be a good gap for A/C 43ts plugs on the street.Would .032/.035 be too tight? I always ran NGK ur5 @ .028 at the track. Car in my signature basically. John
I run .032 on the street and my car runs great. Been that way for years. Brad

I really doubt anyone could tell whether they had ur5 at .025 or .035 or any other brand for that matter. A spark is a spark. If the ignition is working properly then just about any plug that will thread in correctly will be able to fire off the charge. The ignition is what generates the current. Not the plug. If .002" gap makes a difference then you have ignition issues that will constantly re-appear. Most don't even have the proper tools to measure .002" difference in a spark plug gap. For a street plug the stock r44ts or a range colder is a great choice. Or any of the other brands equivalent to those.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Point taken Brian as I was taking the advice and recommendation of Brian Weaver on the extra .002. I wouldn't doubt that I may be experiencing bad ignition as it seems everything we did went wrong.

I really doubt anyone could tell whether they had ur5 at .025 or .035 or any other brand for that matter. A spark is a spark. If the ignition is working properly then just about any plug that will thread in correctly will be able to fire off the charge. The ignition is what generates the current. Not the plug. If .002" gap makes a difference then you have ignition issues that will constantly re-appear. Most don't even have the proper tools to measure .002" difference in a spark plug gap. For a street plug the stock r44ts or a range colder is a great choice. Or any of the other brands equivalent to those.
Thanks Bison I put the engine in the car with new ring pac sounds good have not put more than a couple of lbs of boost thru it in about 150 miles. Just going to drive it and enjoy it for now. Maybe someone will goat me into making a few passes but right now I'm still saying no to racing it at the track. John

BPE2013@hotmail.com

My text did not appear for some reason so I'll try again. Thanks Bison I just put the engine in the car with a new ring pac so I have only put a couple of pounds of boost thru it so far in 150 miles. It sounds good and runs good. I'm going to just drive it and enjoy it. Maybe someone with goat me into runnig it at the track but for right now I'm going to just drive it. I've beat on it for almost 30 yuears with several different set ups but always kept it hot air. I still love the car. John

I'd like to bring up a point if anyone out there has had occur. On my last build (which is now tore down and started fresh) I took the plugs out. RT43 and they made noise like a PCV valve and the ceramic moved inside the plug's housing...loosely. What the hell would cause that? Mind you....no detonation...

If you have a iron heads the autolite 23 will be a great plug.

If you have Alum heads the Autolite 3933 will be a great plug.

I'd like to bring up a point if anyone out there has had occur. On my last build (which is now tore down and started fresh) I took the plugs out. RT43 and they made noise like a PCV valve and the ceramic moved inside the plug's housing...loosely. What the hell would cause that? Mind you....no detonation...

either it got rattle with know or it was a junk plug from the start. I don't use AC plugs anymore cause the quality of them has went down way down.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

X2, how does one beat a man who know's what he's taking about.