Oddball issue for the mechanics here. Ford 5.4L issue

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I have a 2000 Ford expedition 5.4 (with an older twin screw KB supercharger) that has had the engine replaced. (I had a shop handle it for me because my garage is too tight and I didn't want to work in the snow.)

The set up: Fresh engine, new plastic intake manifold, New Fomoco COPs (coil on plug), new Fomoco spark plugs, freshly flowed and matched injectors, new fuel filter. Recently refreshed trans and TC from Extreme Automatics.

The issue: Truck starts and idles nicely. It was idling a little low (600 rpm) so, I swapped in a new IAC and the idle is better now at 750rpm. I can drive down the road and it runs and drives fine. Then, out of the blue it will simply die. This can occur coming to a stop or while driving down the road. It can be cold or warmed up to operating temperature. Sometimes it will shudder a little, if it plans to die at a stop. When it dies while driving, it sounds like it's been punched in the gut. Like someone just turned off the key. The weather has been 30*-50*F dry and wet. As a side note, the previous engine has 114k on it and NEVER had any issue like the one described below.

When the truck stalls, I pull over and sometimes it will start right up. Sometimes, I have to wait a few minutes. Sometimes, it will happen only once, and for the rest of the day it will be fine as I run errands. The last time I was having issues I dropped it back at the shop, They checked everything and claimed to have found a loose vacuum line. They claimed they had driven it up and down the street with no issues. I took the truck and got onto the main road. It died a within a few blocks. It took a few minutes to finally start. I turned around and it died before I could get to the stop light. I sat through a few light changes trying to start it again. When it finally started my "theft" indicator was flashing- I've never seen it do that before. I drove back to the shop and parked it. I turned the truck off and then on again and no "theft light" came on. I took the shop owner on a drive and did not have any issues at all. Figures...

The truck has absolutely no codes. I checked with my Autel scanner. The shop used their scanner and could find nothing (not even old stored codes). This shop works on these engines all the time and they have no idea as to why this is happening.

Things I've considered and discounted:

1. Fuel pump- it either works or it doesn't (usually not intermittent)
2. Ground wire- I think if one was loose I think it would have other issues
3. Vacuum line- would throw a code
4. Ignition Control Module- It would likely act up when it warmed up and then work when cooled down. With the way it usually starts right up and can have many miles with no issues it does not feel likely.
5. MAF- it was tested as working fine

Anyone have any ideas??? I'm at a loss. Any input is appreciated. This is getting frustrating.

Have you checked your plugs?? I know my 2002 would act funny like that. For some reason sometimes it would and wouldn’t throw a code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2000 Ford expedition 5.4 (with an older twin screw KB supercharger) that has had the engine replaced. (I had a shop handle it for me because my garage is too tight and I didn't want to work in the snow.)

The set up: Fresh engine, new plastic intake manifold, New Fomoco COPs (coil on plug), new Fomoco spark plugs, freshly flowed and matched injectors, new fuel filter. Recently refreshed trans and TC from Extreme Automatics.

The issue: Truck starts and idles nicely. It was idling a little low (600 rpm) so, I swapped in a new IAC and the idle is better now at 750rpm. I can drive down the road and it runs and drives fine. Then, out of the blue it will simply die. This can occur coming to a stop or while driving down the road. It can be cold or warmed up to operating temperature. Sometimes it will shudder a little, if it plans to die at a stop. When it dies while driving, it sounds like it's been punched in the gut. Like someone just turned off the key. The weather has been 30*-50*F dry and wet. As a side note, the previous engine has 114k on it and NEVER had any issue like the one described below.

When the truck stalls, I pull over and sometimes it will start right up. Sometimes, I have to wait a few minutes. Sometimes, it will happen only once, and for the rest of the day it will be fine as I run errands. The last time I was having issues I dropped it back at the shop, They checked everything and claimed to have found a loose vacuum line. They claimed they had driven it up and down the street with no issues. I took the truck and got onto the main road. It died a within a few blocks. It took a few minutes to finally start. I turned around and it died before I could get to the stop light. I sat through a few light changes trying to start it again. When it finally started my "theft" indicator was flashing- I've never seen it do that before. I drove back to the shop and parked it. I turned the truck off and then on again and no "theft light" came on. I took the shop owner on a drive and did not have any issues at all. Figures...

The truck has absolutely no codes. I checked with my Autel scanner. The shop used their scanner and could find nothing (not even old stored codes). This shop works on these engines all the time and they have no idea as to why this is happening.

Things I've considered and discounted:

1. Fuel pump- it either works or it doesn't (usually not intermittent)
2. Ground wire- I think if one was loose I think it would have other issues
3. Vacuum line- would throw a code
4. Ignition Control Module- It would likely act up when it warmed up and then work when cooled down. With the way it usually starts right up and can have many miles with no issues it does not feel likely.
5. MAF- it was tested as working fine

Anyone have any ideas??? I'm at a loss. Any input is appreciated. This is getting frustrating.

Also they are known for bad modules. Replaced mine a few months ago. Would start up and shut off whenever it wanted to, cold or warm. Don’t remember if it ever happened while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has new Ford plugs and Coils.
Which Module? Truck ran perfectly before the engine needed to be swapped (not related to driveability)