Seeking advice on turbo upgrade. Strongly considering TA49

Megatron _ed

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster, and recent owner of a 1989 Turbo Trans Am. Picked up the car with less than 5k miles that had an upgraded intercooler, street chip (turbo tweak), and dump pipe. With these mods alone, the previous owner ran 12.7.

My plan is to keep it as close to stock as possible considering the mileage. My goals include a mid to high 11 car with little or no loss in reliability and the ability to convert it back to stock easily and quickly if necessary.

I plan to get there by adding a bigger turbo, injectors, and tuning. Is this possible? I prefer not to mod the converter, so I am looking at a TA49 as my turbo due to its reliability , stock appearance, and compatibility with the stock torque converter. However, the TA60 is enticing too. Here are my questions that I appreciate you folks helping me with.

1. For a stock upgrade, is there a better option than the TA49 without upgrading the converter?
2. If not, what should I expect to pay for a TA49 new or used? Can I use the stock turbo shield with a TA49?
3. Typical install cost for turbo and injectors?
4. Is putting a converter into a 200r4 a big job? Convert back to stock easily?
5. Would a 2800 stall affect my driving experience relative to stock?
6. How much can the stock fuel pump handle?

Thanks again.

Anything with a 57mm turbine Exducer in a Garrett .63 ex housing will spool well with a stock converter and fast with a converter that goes to 2200@0 and is really hard to beat for value wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster, and recent owner of a 1989 Turbo Trans Am. Picked up the car with less than 5k miles that had an upgraded intercooler, street chip (turbo tweak), and dump pipe. With these mods alone, the previous owner ran 12.7.

My plan is to keep it as close to stock as possible considering the mileage. My goals include a mid to high 11 car with little or no loss in reliability and the ability to convert it back to stock easily and quickly if necessary.

I plan to get there by adding a bigger turbo, injectors, and tuning. Is this possible? I prefer not to mod the converter, so I am looking at a TA49 as my turbo due to its reliability , stock appearance, and compatibility with the stock torque converter. However, the TA60 is enticing too. Here are my questions that I appreciate you folks helping me with.

1. For a stock upgrade, is there a better option than the TA49 without upgrading the converter?
2. If not, what should I expect to pay for a TA49 new or used? Can I use the stock turbo shield with a TA49?

Thanks again.
Here's my worthless 2 cents worth:

1. Hard to beat a TA49 or TA60 for a stock appearing upgrade. If you use a .63 Garrett housing as Bison stated it will spool ok with the stock D5 converter.

2. Contact Bison for prices on turbos. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/turbos-for-sale-te-ta-mfs-stock-to-900hp.421844/ The potential headaches with taking a chance on running a used turbo is not worth the risk in my opinion. Others may disagree but I've had nothing but bad luck with used turbos and even supposedly "newly updated" turbos with 0 miles on them :rolleyes:. A TA49 or 60 will work without modifying the stock shield.

3. Install costs will vary depending on location. Try to find a local TR buddy to help you for a few beers.

4. Dropping the trans to change converters is not considered a big job for most and is easily reversible.

5. Get a good converter from Dave Husek or PTC and it will drive almost like a stock converter...until you nail it :D

6. The stock fuel pump is barely adequate for a completely stock car. A pump upgrade with Hotwire is a must.

With some tuning and the right supporting mods others have reached your goals with the stock turbo I believe.

Last edited:
My goals include a mid to high 11 car with little or no loss in reliability and the ability to convert it back to stock easily and quickly if necessar
49 is a perfect 11 sec turbo on a stock motor,however mid 11's will require a build up on the trans for reliability.stock fuel pump needs to come out.octane in the form of alky or race gas with sticky tires and a good tune.

^^^In addition to what Mr.Spool said also change the injectors to Siemens 60s..

The rear end will only take so many hard launches. Then it will start howling and progress from there.

Hi everyone.

Thanks again.
You should get a set of sticky tires install the alky with turbo tweek alky upgrade and I think you will be impressed. Keep in mind it ran 12.7 on pump gas with octane boost on street tires . The alky will allow you to run 21 plus lbs. of boost, from that point traction is going to be worth alot!

Not yet. Looking for one. Think I will go with Bison. For a moment I thought about a ta60 but did not want a stall for the street with a slushy feel.

Not yet. Looking for one. Think I will go with Bison. For a moment I thought about a ta60 but did not want a stall for the street with a slushy feel.
Nothing wrong with your choice of a TA49 but you are mistaken if you think a TA60 with a .63 Garrett exhaust housing will spool much different than a TA49 with the same converter.

TA49 is the way to go. I switched from a 49 to a 60, saw zero gain and more lag!

Another Great Option is the newer Technology PTE Billet Wheel Turbos.
They are Quick Spooling and make a lot of HP out of smaller Turbos.
Here's a suggestion: 5858 JB or BB (620 hp)
AND if you wish to stick with "Stock Appearing" (TA), this turbo can be purchased with the Bell Inlet.
We will be happy to get you pricing on this Turbo or any PTE turbo that you might be interested in.
Feel free to PM us or Give us a call 321-610-1500