SD2/Powerlogger Pro general discussion

Finally had a little time to play with it. What a neat new toy! I dialed idle and cranking fuel in. Starts like Cadillac.
Adjustable idle speed would be nice. That was the only thing I'm missing so far. :p

Nice job gentleman! :) It's a great new chip...

Rick

Welcome to the group Rick!!

I have a powerlogger but it does not have the "tune" option nor the option to check the SD chip under "MAF display option". Do I need to download another version? I'm running MAF now, but like SD and may run it in the future. My other car runs SD and I like being able to tune the fuel and spark maps.

I have a powerlogger but it does not have the "tune" option nor the option to check the SD chip under "MAF display option". Do I need to download another version? I'm running MAF now, but like SD and may run it in the future. My other car runs SD and I like being able to tune the fuel and spark maps.

You will need the SD2 chip and the latest update on powerlogger to have that feature . Go ahead and update to SD2 chip and you will wonder how you did without it .

You will need the SD2 chip and the latest update on powerlogger to have that feature . Go ahead and update to SD2 chip and you will wonder how you did without it .

Cool, a new chip/injectors were on my to do list anyway...sounds like a win!

Well now I've got the same problem as Dee (USMC_Turbo6). When I turn the lights on the fuel correction goes from pretty much 0 (128 on scanmaster) to pulling out the max (115 on scanmaster 10.2% on computer) amount. I've reinstalled the power logger board, ECM pin D11 is empty, my grounds for WB,Boost gauge, alky... all go to the block, and I get power for the MAP sensor as Bob suggests in his video. Attached is a log where you can see this happening. The only evidence I see is a slight glitch in MAP and Boost pressure when the lights go on around frame 565. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• steve lights 2.dat
    401.3 KB · Views: 58
i looked at it, at that point in the file the MAP sensor signal shifts upward somewhat slowly. I'm not sure if its electrical (offset) related, or the alternator load is moving your idle point some.

I will try to duplicate it here and see if I can recreate it. if the MAP sensor is properly isolated from the body ground, then it would seem to be a tuning issue.

was that log idling in drive or neutral? Do you see a shift in your idle correction when the fan turns on?

Bob

Well now I've got the same problem as Dee (USMC_Turbo6). When I turn the lights on the fuel correction goes from pretty much 0 (128 on scanmaster) to pulling out the max (115 on scanmaster 10.2% on computer) amount. I've reinstalled the power logger board, ECM pin D11 is empty, my grounds for WB,Boost gauge, alky... all go to the block, and I get power for the MAP sensor as Bob suggests in his video. Attached is a log where you can see this happening. The only evidence I see is a slight glitch in MAP and Boost pressure when the lights go on around frame 565. Any suggestions?

I'm not quite sure yet what is causing this issue, BUT..... WHY do you have a value of 098 in cell 1 ????????

Cell 1 is for setting idle BASE fuel, NOT for setting open or closed loop operation.

Your floating bubble sure jumps around A LOT for being at idle!!?? I saw the same issue in (USMC_Turbo6's) files. Noisy/crappy grounds????

Your RPM graph is also very noisy!. As is your MAP graph!

Another thing I don't like is why your correction factor graph is moving around so much simply trying to keep up with all the crazy wavering that your Wideband is doing. Should NOT be moving around that bad during idle!

Compare those things on my warm idle graph display. Notice the smoothness? no noise, no wandering AFR, no wandering Correction, Flat MAP

warm idle.jpg

Last edited:
more like a choppy cam. note how high his MAP is at idle.

the experimental PL software you (Dave) and I are running has extra MAP sensor filtering at idle to reduce the chop. But the idle richness is likely due to the cam's lobe separation / overlap.

My car has a choppy 212/212 so I will try to get a log tonite. (its 20 degrees outside...)

B

Bob, that log is idling in the driveway with the car in park. I have not noticed a change in idle when the fans kick on, but I will check it out.

Dave, during my initial tuning after I installed the chip I had to bring Cell one down to 98 to get it to idle correctly. The default of 128 was way too rich and i couldn't get it to idle correctly. Of the four cars I've tuned with this chip I've had to bring cell one down quite a bit.

The four cars I've tuned all have bigger than stock cams. Mine is a 206/210.

BTW, its 67 degrees outside here. I've been in shorts all day! :)

In Shorts all day??? I think I hate you!!! ;)

BTW, something really neat I just noticed in this new PL/PLC software that wasn't there before the SD2 stuff,...... When I load someone else's data file, it sets THIER wideband on the F3 page for me!!! nice feature.

more like a choppy cam. note how high his MAP is at idle.

the experimental PL software you (Dave) and I are running has extra MAP sensor filtering at idle to reduce the chop. But the idle richness is likely due to the cam's lobe separation / overlap.

My car has a choppy 212/212 so I will try to get a log tonite. (its 20 degrees outside...)

B

Ya, but his rpm graph is also just as choppy (noisy).!!??? Is his Wideband wandering so bad because of the cam?? It shouldn't, or am I wrong.

Wow, Dave yours entire log is much smoother than mine. What cam are you running? How do I get the PL software version with the MAP sensor filter? ;)

I did notice that about the new software when you load someone else's file. That is a really nice feature and you don't have to check to make sure the correct WB is selected when you begin logging your own files again.

My cam is only a 200/200 with a bone stock long block. Notice how lean my car loves to idle??? I can take it even leaner.
Not sure about the software. I'm hoping Bob will release a final version of it soon. I love the way "mine" is working.

Okay, went back thru this thread and read the posts and saw jpwalt1987's post about running a ground wire from the battery to the MAP sensor. I did that and the problem with the lights on went away. I did notice that when the fans turned on there was a shift in idle correction so I added 4.5% to the fan idle compensation parameter and it fixed that. Thanks guys. Bob, any idea when the update with the MAP filter will be coming out?

the MAP filtering did not help the jitteriness of the floating bubble at idle much, so it needs a little more work.

The cam in the new engine has a little more "chop" than the old one, so I have a good target for future development.

In the spring I will likely have a bug-fix version, with a couple minor feature additions.

Bob

In the spring I will likely have a bug-fix version, with a couple minor feature additions.
Will this include the version for the NB usage to do the fueling that Dave has been testing ?

@TurboBob , if you wish, at some point I can start a new thread to do a write up on the use of the narrowband tracking feature, and include several pictures of the graph displays so folks will know how make the needed changes to the Target AFR table and tune page, and also what the graph displays will look like while narrowband tracking is occuring.
So that nothing takes anyone by surprise. At first the AFR Correction and Wideband graphs might take some by surprise during narrowband tracking.

let me get the software to a stable point, so we can post the updates at the same time (I have a couple things to do to it). But that is a good idea.

Bob