SD2/Powerlogger Pro general discussion

Finally installed one these. Pretty seamless transition.

One thing I find little confusing is there are tables to tune but targets are set with chip parameters? How does it use the AFR table in conjunction with chip parameters?

Rick

To use the afr table you want for the chip set cell 2,3,4 to what you want and tune from there . like I did in cell 2 I use 13.5afr and cell 3 I use 14.5 and cell 4 I use 10.2 , these settings are in closed loop with the wideband correcting . Now this is what I use your engine may like something else .

I understand that but why have a table with ARF targets when your setting the target in the chip? And how do they work in conjunction with one another?

You can use either table , the table thats in it is a start up table for all . You can adj that table if you want to your likings .

You can either set the target in the chip in cells 2, 3 or 4 OR you can set those cells to a value of 97 which commands wideband closed loop operation and uses the values in the main AFR Target table. I keep those cells set to 97 so that the main AFR table is used.

Then as time goes by, I keep an eye on AFR corrections that are happening, and I make changes to cells 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8 as needed. Those are what we called User Tune tables in the Translator Pro. Those cells do the same thing. They cover a broader range of corrections to be made instead of fiddling with individual VE cells.
It takes a good bit of driving and logging to get enough data to start making changes to the VE table.

This past summer I just made changes to the User cells in the chip (1,5,6,7,8). But I think this coming spring I'll start tuning with the VE cells. I have my user tunes cells set back to default 128, and the car still runs fantastic, possibly because it's cooler now days. We'll see.

And thanks to a lot of hard work on Bob's and Eric's part, I have Narrowband tracking and DFCO working perfectly!!!!!!!!!

Dave,

That's what I was looking for. I guess I should read directions a little better.:p

So how are you using narrowband and wideband correction?

Rick

The way I look at it they are several ways to skin a cat and get the final results will be the same .

Is there anyway to select multiple cells in the tables for adjustment?

Please excuse me if it's in the directions or been posted. This thread is too damn long.:D

Rick

Dave,

That's what I was looking for. I guess I should read directions a little better.:p

So how are you using narrowband and wideband correction?

Rick

Well, there's a new option being worked on. I honestly don't know if it's in release form yet but...... It works like this (requires a reflash to the PL btw) There's on option you set in the options box on the tune parameters page. That turns closed loop narrowband tracking on. It activates in any Target AFR cell (in the big table) that has a value of 14.5-14.7. Any time you move outside of that range of cells, normal wideband tracking tracks the values in the other cells you're operating in. The system uses the AF Correction function to track the narrow band and maintain very close to 14.7:1

Here's a picture of it working: You can see the narrowband and wideband in the bottom two graphs, and the AFR Correction working in the top graph.

Also take note of the fact that I have increased the number of Target AFR cells containing the 14.5 value to cover a wider range of rpm and loads

closed loop correction.jpg

lean cruise, closed loop.jpg
Why am I going to so much trouble in this area you say??? Well, it's like this. My car is retired from racing, and being the eternal tweaker that I am, I have taken in upon myself to perfect the street manners of my car. Even though it's speed density, I want it to run and behave every bit as perfectly as if it were a new GN running the original MAF based stock ECU, etc etc.

I had just reached that point on my Translator Pro system, when this new SD2/Powerlogger Pro system hit the market, so I decided to take the leap and see if I could accomplish the same results.

Have I?? A resounding YES!! The car behaves with perfection in street manners/cruising, and yet when I stand on it, it still responds perfectly, wailing up to 20# of boost, and ripping these rediculous stock sized tires off. Yet, with the narrowband tracking working I have superior gas mileage on the street.

If there's one thing I've learned over the past few years, it's that NOTHING in the wideband arena can match the stock narrowband when it comes to maintaining very very tight control of stoicheometric air fuel ratio. This also maintains great cruising fuel economy!!!

Oh, BTW I shouldn't forget, the Lean Cruise function of this system works flawlessly also!!!! Here's a picture of that function tracking my target of 16.0:1:

the narrowband stuff also helps guys that don't have a wideband (like my NC test car)

Its not in the standard version, as its still experimental.

the tables in PLC don't have multiple cell selection yet, or off-line tuning. These are on the list to be worked on at some point.

To tune a file off-line you can use TunerPro, then re-upload the file.

Bob

I just got my SD2 chip. Can I actually save a tune in the computer for 93/alky and run a tune for E85?

by computer, you mean the laptop?

Yes, you can save tunes in the laptop and load whatever you need.

Bob

Since I do not have a NL converter how do you set the CS in the RPM section of the PL ? What method is used to achieve this ? Where do I come up with the CS factors ?

It's too early in the morning!! please translate into english. What's a NL converter, and what are you referring to by CS in the RPM section??

Oh wait, I just remembered what CS factor is.
There's no math method that I'm aware of. I had some numbers suggested to me several years back and they were pretty close. For me it was easy to tweek them though because I have a manual locking switch set up.
So..... I would select the gear I wanted, lock the converter, and look at the CS factor, then make adjustments to it to achieve a zero value.

You make the adjustments starting on the F3 page in the Analog Input Settings and the adjust button as shown.

CS factor.jpg

Sorry Dave, NonLockUp converter is what I meant , since I do not have a LockUp feature or switch I quess I would be quessing anyway , I see how your way would work as my setup I need to worry about something else LOL . This Day Light savings time has me all messed up for the mornings .

with a TH400 and no gear switches put 46.5 in all 3 factors. The calculation will only be valid in third gear though.

B