Precision Turbo Choices

Rdirks

I will be upgrading turbos this fall and have a few questions now that I have gone through the new lists from precision.

First I will give you my current set-up and goals:
3300lb car, stock long block, Dutt neck IC, Stock turbo running 16lbs boost, 30lb Injectors, TT 93 chip, 2.5ss dp, 3" Single exhaust (no cat), Dynotech Hi-pro 200r4, 3000-3200 stall 9.5" Pro-torque LU, 3.50 gears, Mickey Thompson 235 DR's.

As it sits, it is good for mid-hi 12's all day long. This is a street car that spends more time going for ice cream than running down the track- so street manners are more important that an extra couple of tenths.

Goal #1 -Add 60lb injectors, 3" THDP, and a new turbo and get as deep into the 11's as I can on pump gas (17-18 lbs of boost max)

Goal #2 -Add Alky/new TT chip, and turn boost up to 22-23 and see what she'll do.
Questions:

1. Could anyone expand on what is meant by the new TQ technology from PTE? Should I be adding a few hundred rpm to the listed stalls because my converter is "old-school"?

2. By looking at both charts, there seem to be plenty of choices that fit my combo. Looks like I could go with old-school TE-60 all the way through a 6265e - Any recommendations?

3. Because I never intend to go above low 20's with boost, I am figuring That I don't really need the BB option. Is this a correct way to think about the choice between Journal and BB?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can provide.

If your looking for "deep" 11s then you'll need a roll bar, you may not want that if it's just a street car. If you stay with high 11s, all of the smaller turbos, old school and billets will get you there, no need to go "big". If it was me I'ld do the Alkycontrol first. Turn up the boost on the stock turbo and see what happens. It may be all you want. Maybe some 27" tires too (M/T 255/60/15).

I will be upgrading turbos this fall and have a few questions now that I have gone through the new lists from precision.

First I will give you my current set-up and goals:
3300lb car, stock long block, Dutt neck IC, Stock turbo running 16lbs boost, 30lb Injectors, TT 93 chip, 2.5ss dp, 3" Single exhaust (no cat), Dynotech Hi-pro 200r4, 3000-3200 stall 9.5" Pro-torque LU, 3.50 gears, Mickey Thompson 235 DR's.

As it sits, it is good for mid-hi 12's all day long. This is a street car that spends more time going for ice cream than running down the track- so street manners are more important that an extra couple of tenths.

Goal #1 -Add 60lb injectors, 3" THDP, and a new turbo and get as deep into the 11's as I can on pump gas (17-18 lbs of boost max)

Goal #2 -Add Alky/new TT chip, and turn boost up to 22-23 and see what she'll do.
Questions:

1. Could anyone expand on what is meant by the new TQ technology from PTE? Should I be adding a few hundred rpm to the listed stalls because my converter is "old-school"?

2. By looking at both charts, there seem to be plenty of choices that fit my combo. Looks like I could go with old-school TE-60 all the way through a 6265e - Any recommendations?

3. Because I never intend to go above low 20's with boost, I am figuring That I don't really need the BB option. Is this a correct way to think about the choice between Journal and BB?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can provide.

I had a front mount intercooler setup that costed me 250 for the intercooler, pipes, clamps, and hoses. Let me know if you want more info, I got all part numbers and suggestions. Here is a pic of the stock compared to my front mount. PM me if ya want.

Attachments

• intercooler conversion (2).jpg
    intercooler conversion (2).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 403
I agree with what Pronto and gs462 say. Also, a dbl BB turbo isn't just for people who want to go faster then elevens. They are great for going fast and being streetable too. They allow you to make the power of a big turbo with the conv stall of a smaller one. It's like the best of both worlds.:)

Sounds like your on the right track, and your asking the right questions.
I'd say, don't throw all the parts at it at once. Sneak up on the HP and tune. Find out what the car likes. This will be safer on the engine, and you'll learn more. Hopefully, you'll make your tuneing mistakes at the lower power level. The most effective thing that you can throw at these beasts is knowledge. There is a learning curve on these cars. IMO, that's the fun. Get a good data recorder, and keep us in the loop.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Save the $500+ on a bb/lines and use that for an intercooler, later. Alky first, tune and enjoy, then upgrade injectors, reburn chip and turbo then intercooler. A giant interecooler isn't needed; a larger slic would be fine. Remember at the track, 11.5 roll bar, 10s = more safety stuff. You may not want to go that route for a car that sees mostly cruise nights and out for ice creams with the kids.

You won't be able to get into the 11's at 17-18# of boost with a stock longblock. Don't be afraid of boost. It's all about the tune.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
As far as IC is concerned, I really do not want to go front mount at this point as I do not want to risk blocking airflow to the radiator. Anything larger than stock SLIC will require removal of my front swaybar so for now at least the Dutt neck will stay put. Since this is a hybrid, everything fits a little different than on a G-body. In some places I have tons more room in others less.
The reason I wanted to upgrade in the order I mentioned above is that I thought I might have a shot at hitting mid-11's with the right turbo selection on pump gas with the lower boost. I may be fooling myself here, but if I could hit 11.5 with goal # 1 - I would be done. For my purposes the car does not really need to be faster than that. One of the things that Patrick wrote about the newer billet turbos is that they work very well at the lower boost levels.

If I cannot manage mid 11's then I would go the Alky route, but it would be nice not to have to.

At the moment I am leaning towards spending a month or so learning and tuning what I have now and then giving either the new 6057e or 6262e a shot. I would love to hear from anyone with any experience with these models.

Thanks again.

You're not going to run mid 11s on 93 oct and less than 20lbs of boost. Why fight it? Do the alky first and don't look back. EVERYONE I know that has done is totally satified and running faster with no knock. Like HIPSI said, don't be afraid of boost-if you got alky and a good tune.

I agree....alky 1st. The alky will cool your intake so you can run higher boost levels with your current turbo on pump gas, and the alky will also supplement your fuel (the smaller injectors).

IMO the intercooler can wait if you go w/ alky. instead of an intercooler get your self a good scan tool.

OK..OK..I give. Who am I to argue with the prevailing wisdom. Besides it will be pretty cool if I can get close to my goal with the stock turbo.

Pulled the trigger yesterday, so one of Julio's kits should be in route to me right now.

Thanks for the opinions guys - this board is such an amazing resource:biggrin:

My friends street ripper T has run 12.1@110 with the stock turbo. He's expecting 11s next time out. 23lbs of boost with lots of alky.:biggrin:

You won't be able to get into the 11's at 17-18# of boost with a stock longblock. Don't be afraid of boost. It's all about the tune.

He might be able to since he stated hes at 3300lbs. Id still be running more boost myself.

Considering you're a hybrid 65 Skylark, getting a FMIC to fit is probably not worth the hassle. Alky with a PTE SLIC would go way deeper than you want so I'd pass on the FMIC or intercooler upgrade all together now you've bought Alky.

Since you're not comfortable pushing more than low 20's psi and you roll on 235 MT's, you're going to have a hard time hitting low 12's in this car with the stock turbo if you're 60ft is not so hot. A bigger turbo is how you'll gain the MPH to achieve this.

New PTE Billet Turbos make about 30-40hp more on the compressor side vs the older cast wheel of the same size. BUT, when comparing similar sized compressors (cast and billet), the billet does NOT spool as fast, many Import shops have proven this. If you were to go with a new turbo, the billet 60/57S would fit your needs but not spool like the old 60-1.