Precision stock location intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that how you would do a test of an intercooler. I thought they were to help cool the exhaust air temperature. Not sure what's the best way to test the effectiveness of each intercooler
NO But an easy way to see watch is more constricting. It a start.

My guess is that the denser core will have more restriction but with better cooling.

I think I’d rather have the old core.

My guess is that the denser core will have more restriction but with better cooling.

I think I’d rather have the old core.
That's what I'm afraid of. I think you're absolutely right. And the old school precision stock location Intercoolers will be worth more.
Once again, I just can't believe that precision's trying to sneak this by us without updating there pictures and explaining this core change.

"Once again, I just can't believe that precision's trying to sneak this by us without updating there pictures and explaining this core change".
Until you see a comparo test, how do you know it's not an improvement?

Exactly Chuck. The more I think about it the more I'm pissed about it. When I see something and read about it and that's what I want, I don't want something different. I think this goes under false advertising

You might consider using a shop vac on one side & a vacuum gauge on the other end (or that wind gauge).

Primitive test, but easy to compare the two.

PS. If you decide to use a shop vac, draw vacuum with it instead of blow through. Blow through would probably be dirty air.

I'd be more concerned about Pressure Drop then the cooling,

Im also curious about the weight comparison , weigh them back to back if you can. i have the old one its a ton.
And no mention about the shroud is it the same?

Isn't this all just bullshit complaining if you're not taking the time to do a back to back test and gathering data? Data log pressure drop between the two or take it to the track and swap them out. I do agree that precision should have a better explanation but I'm also willing to bet most people won't be maxing out a precision slic of any design.

The change 5 or 6 years back was 18 to 19 row. So this is a 3rd version. Bell cores have thinner rows, with more rows per inch like pictured. Not saying its a bell core, just looks similar. Would be interesting in seeing data.

Isn't this all just bullshit complaining if you're not taking the time to do a back to back test and gathering data? Data log pressure drop between the two or take it to the track and swap them out. I do agree that precision should have a better explanation but I'm also willing to bet most people won't be maxing out a precision slic of any design.
We're just average Joe consumers. Wish we had all the tools to do the testing and the time to do them. And going to the track and make runs and swap them out. Not renting the track for a day. o_O Just pointing out that we're getting what wasn't what was advertised. Hope somebody can do the testing that has the toys to do it. I'm not going out to buy them to do the test. Just putting the information out there that it is not intercooler that is advertised.
V6 sleeper. We will get you the weight and let you know about the shroud comparison. Good point. I think we can handle that testing
Come by the way, it seems to be more of like 31 row innercooler

Last edited:
Okay. The new intercooler is 28 lb as opposed to the second generation intercooler weighing 29 and a half pounds. So the third generation is pound and a half shorter with 14 extra rows. Don't know how they did that but that's what it is.
Once again, the thread was started to tell you what you are buying when you buy this third generation. Intercooler and nothing more. Disclaimer: We are not a performance shop that can do testing of an intercooler. We're hoping precision can do testing or explain to us the change 😜

I am curious to how the core compares to the new Lorenz SLIC.

Ssgn, I think we're all curious to know how it compares up to their old intercooler, but without somebody that can test it, who knows. The fact is that Patrick, who is the Buick guy at precision is not answering my emails about the difference between what their advertising and what you're getting as far as cores.
The Lorenz intercooler was was made from Red's design, so I've never seen one of those up close. And as far as efficiency of any of the many front mounts, not sure.
Like Chuck says on an earlier post, precisions just trying to sneak this by us right now with no explanation on the core design from the nice 18/19 row intercooler they were making a few years back

Ages ago Team Grumpy went 9.98 at 138 with a Precision on a stock stroke and alky. I haven't seen any times with the new IC.

Ages ago Team Grumpy went 9.98 at 138 with a Precision on a stock stroke and alky. I haven't seen any times with the new IC.
Those are the kind of numbers that make sense and that's why I ordered that 18/19 row intercooler and received this new 32 row one with no explanation more or less testing. If precision thought it was a great thing you think they would advertise it. I mean because a lot of people would sell their old 18/19 row cores for the new better 32 row core :unsure: :X3::oops: also has Patrick said and then earlier post that I shared they changed the design five or six years ago and I don't hear any of those guys chiming in about their great new 32 row intercooler.

If indeed they went to a Bell core nothing is going to be lost, it could possibly be equally as efficient or maybe more..
We are jumping to conclusions a little quick, lets just look more into what the new construction is or get a definitive answer from Precision at some point..

If indeed they went to a Bell core nothing is going to be lost, it could possibly be equally as efficient or maybe more..
We are jumping to conclusions a little quick, lets just look more into what the new construction is or get a definitive answer from Precision at some point..
I think your misunderstanding the thread. Nobody's jumping to conclusions that I have read so far, but I find a lot of us wondering why there was a core change without no mention of it from precision. We that got the new design are sure. Hoping it's better, but don't you think precision would have marketed as being a much more efficient better? Intercooler when they raise the price to 1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.