Turbo upgrade.

brandnu6

Hello everyone. Hope all is well. So, I have a decision to make. Currently I have TA49 in my car. All mods done. Just picked up a set of "Champion Irons." 212/212 flat Comp Cam in the car as well. Husek 3021 convertor. upgraded fuel pump, hot wire, headers, downpipe, 62mm T.B., 42lb injectors with 93 oct. chip, [T.T.] "Dutt Neck" S.L.I.C., Engine, trans. rebuilt, [but not for 11 seconds and quicker!] Here is my question. I have an opportunity to buy a brand-new Precision 6262 B.B. turbo. By the way, I'm the guy that does not use "alcohol" yet! Running 17lbs of boost on 93 octane. If I were to swap out the 49 for the 62, what would I need to do in order for that turbo to work like it's supposed to? Assuming I have trans. built for more power and install "Alky-control" set-up so I can up the boost. Besides a different tune, which would include a different chip. Would I need say bigger injectors? Larger intercooler? How would the car respond to larger turbo? Would it spool like the 49 because of the "ball Bearing" design? Is that the right convertor? Please, your input is important. I do not want the car to be a dog around town! Thanks very much...

Ok so again
The turbo should be speced or chosen based on the power you want to make.
Fuel injectors should be chosen based on the power you want to make with say and 80% duty cycle or less.

With your current set up, the 49 at 17 is no better than the stock turbo. As you go higher in boost the 49 makes much more power than the stocker. The Dutt neck slic is the first mod you need change to take advantage of the higher flow of the 49 or 62/62. Next you need octane to take advantage of the higher boost. Have to either go 100 unleaded, alky injection or octane additive (store bought or homemade). Those mods and correct tune would be 11s. The cam is not your friend. It's raising the powerband away from your 17psi boost range. Unless you put the Champ heads on, 62/62, larger intercooler, 60lb injectors, alky and chip, you can't take advantage of that cam. My friend is running that cam with ported iron heads, 80s, alky, dequick slic, 64/66 and 3000 stall converter. It rips.

Hello everyone. Hope all is well. So, I have a decision to make. Currently I have TA49 in my car. All mods done. Just picked up a set of "Champion Irons." 212/212 flat Comp Cam in the car as well. Husek 3021 convertor. upgraded fuel pump, hot wire, headers, downpipe, 62mm T.B., 42lb injectors with 93 oct. chip, [T.T.] "Dutt Neck" S.L.I.C., Engine, trans. rebuilt, [but not for 11 seconds and quicker!] Here is my question. I have an opportunity to buy a brand-new Precision 6262 B.B. turbo. By the way, I'm the guy that does not use "alcohol" yet! Running 17lbs of boost on 93 octane. If I were to swap out the 49 for the 62, what would I need to do in order for that turbo to work like it's supposed to? Assuming I have trans. built for more power and install "Alky-control" set-up so I can up the boost. Besides a different tune, which would include a different chip. Would I need say bigger injectors? Larger intercooler? How would the car respond to larger turbo? Would it spool like the 49 because of the "ball Bearing" design? Is that the right convertor? Please, your input is important. I do not want the car to be a dog around town! Thanks very much...
Brandnu6,
To answer your ? concerning modifications require if you upgrade from a TA49 to 6262 BB turbo- there are few changes required for a 6262 BB turbo in-order obtain reliability and efficiency of the turbo swap.
1. Every Turbo requires its own specific combination of bolt on component in-order to obtain the best efficiency of a combo.
2. The 6262 BB turbo requires a loser than stock torque convertor somewhere around 3000-3200 stall to obtain the best efficiency/performance. Dave Husek or PTC can help you obtain a good TQ.
3. Also the fueling system requires at least a 340 LB/hour fuel pump and hot wire kit to supply ample fuel for the turbo.
4. Need to upgrade from a stock intercooler to reduce ambient air temp due a higher volume of compressed air entering the engine.
5. I recommend at least 60 to 80 lbs/hour injectors with an Alky chip tune or an ECU GN for a street car.
6. Your 212/212 camshaft and champion ported cylinder heads are a perfect match for that turbo.
7. Also- if your stock ignition module/coil is not working 100%- it might need replacing with a TR6 module/coil due to the demand for higher energy ignition spark need.
8. As you mentioned in your thread- a more robust transmission will definitely be required for that addition power- Janis Transmission or Dave Husek can assist you with that issue.
9. The most important thing required with any combo is- the Turbo/Camshaft/TQ/Tune/ Intercooler/Engine compression must match in-order to obtain the best performance and efficiency. Without that your wasting your money and time.
10. Also if your stock headers is cracked or leaking- dont weld them up. Get rid of them and purchase a set of TA performance headers.
11. IMO these are the minimum required things to do in-order to have the most success with your combination. Good luck my friend.

Haulz A

With your current set up, the 49 at 17 is no better than the stock turbo. As you go higher in boost the 49 makes much more power than the stocker. The Dutt neck slic is the first mod you need change to take advantage of the higher flow of the 49 or 62/62. Next you need octane to take advantage of the higher boost. Have to either go 100 unleaded, alky injection or octane additive (store bought or homemade). Those mods and correct tune would be 11s. The cam is not your friend. It's raising the powerband away from your 17psi boost range. Unless you put the Champ heads on, 62/62, larger intercooler, 60lb injectors, alky and chip, you can't take advantage of that cam. My friend is running that cam with ported iron heads, 80s, alky, dequick slic, 64/66 and 3000 stall converter. It rips.
Hello Pronto, Thanks for the feedback. Let me know when your friend wants to upgrade to a "front mount." I will buy his stretched I.C. How many rows is it? Tony made three different versions. Take care...

Brandnu6,
To answer your ? concerning modifications require if you upgrade from a TA49 to 6262 BB turbo- there are few changes required for a 6262 BB turbo in-order obtain reliability and efficiency of the turbo swap.
1. Every Turbo requires its own specific combination of bolt on component in-order to obtain the best efficiency of a combo.
2. The 6262 BB turbo requires a loser than stock torque convertor somewhere around 3000-3200 stall to obtain the best efficiency/performance. Dave Husek or PTC can help you obtain a good TQ.
3. Also the fueling system requires at least a 340 LB/hour fuel pump and hot wire kit to supply ample fuel for the turbo.
4. Need to upgrade from a stock intercooler to reduce ambient air temp due a higher volume of compressed air entering the engine.
5. I recommend at least 60 to 80 lbs/hour injectors with an Alky chip tune or an ECU GN for a street car.
6. Your 212/212 camshaft and champion ported cylinder heads are a perfect match for that turbo.
7. Also- if your stock ignition module/coil is not working 100%- it might need replacing with a TR6 module/coil due to the demand for higher energy ignition spark need.
8. As you mentioned in your thread- a more robust transmission will definitely be required for that addition power- Janis Transmission or Dave Husek can assist you with that issue.
9. The most important thing required with any combo is- the Turbo/Camshaft/TQ/Tune/ Intercooler/Engine compression must match in-order to obtain the best performance and efficiency. Without that your wasting your money and time.
10. Also if your stock headers is cracked or leaking- dont weld them up. Get rid of them and purchase a set of TA performance headers.
11. IMO these are the minimum required things to do in-order to have the most success with your combination. Good luck my friend.

Haulz A
Haulz A, how are you. Thanks for your response. I like the way you numbered everything. It says a lot about your personality, very organized. I will try to answer items one at a time. #2- I have Dave Husek's 3021 converter. #3- I have "Racetronics" 340 fuel pump w/ hot wire. Plus, I ran a separate # 10 ground to the battery. Don't want to relie on the frame. #4- I have "Dutt Neck" on a very clean stock I.C. Will this be okay? or will I need to upsize to a "Precision" SLIC? #5- when I reach out to Eric Marshall for "Alky chip." I will more than likely be upsizing to 60lb injectors. #7- Ignition is fine. Works good. #8- I would be contacting Dave Husek as you recommended for trans. #9- with regard to "compression" It is 8 to 1. [Factory setting] I would be using .40 gaskets, again, oem specs. #10- I have "TA" headers on the car now. Also "RJC" 3" downpipe w/ internal W.G. I did open it up a little. It's supposed to help with" boost creep?" Question: would the extra boost/power require an "external blow off valve? Again, I appreciate all the help. I'm still learning;) Talk to you later...

BrandNu6,
Just my humble opinion, but:

If you feel like you will miss out on a deal for the 6262, buy it now and put it on the shelf for the time being.
I'd like to see you max out the combination that you currently have. It sounds like you have a very good foundation of parts built around the TA49. I would add the ALKY Kit, injectors and matching chip and turn the boost up on that TA49 and you will see a night and day difference! If you grow tired of that level of performance, then pull your 6262 off the shelf and go nuts setting up a strong foundation for that Turbo.

Again, just my opinion.
ENJOY!!!
- Jerry

BrandNu6,
Just my humble opinion, but:

If you feel like you will miss out on a deal for the 6262, buy it now and put it on the shelf for the time being.
I'd like to see you max out the combination that you currently have. It sounds like you have a very good foundation of parts built around the TA49. I would add the ALKY Kit, injectors and matching chip and turn the boost up on that TA49 and you will see a night and day difference! If you grow tired of that level of performance, then pull your 6262 off the shelf and go nuts setting up a strong foundation for that Turbo.

Again, just my opinion.
ENJOY!!!
- Jerry
Hello Jerry. I like the way you think. You're right, I could already have what I want sitting right under my nose. I'll reach out to Julio in the near future. Thanks for that sound advice, Phil...

Haulz A, how are you. Thanks for your response. I like the way you numbered everything. It says a lot about your personality, very organized. I will try to answer items one at a time. #2- I have Dave Husek's 3021 converter. #3- I have "Racetronics" 340 fuel pump w/ hot wire. Plus, I ran a separate # 10 ground to the battery. Don't want to relie on the frame. #4- I have "Dutt Neck" on a very clean stock I.C. Will this be okay? or will I need to upsize to a "Precision" SLIC? #5- when I reach out to Eric Marshall for "Alky chip." I will more than likely be upsizing to 60lb injectors. #7- Ignition is fine. Works good. #8- I would be contacting Dave Husek as you recommended for trans. #9- with regard to "compression" It is 8 to 1. [Factory setting] I would be using .40 gaskets, again, oem specs. #10- I have "TA" headers on the car now. Also "RJC" 3" downpipe w/ internal W.G. I did open it up a little. It's supposed to help with" boost creep?" Question: would the extra boost/power require an "external blow off valve? Again, I appreciate all the help. I'm still learning;) Talk to you later...
Brandnu6,
To answer your two questions concerning an intercooler upgrade and requiring a blow off valve.
1. A SLIC such as Precision intercooler or a front mount intercooler upgrade would be very beneficial for either the 49 or 6262 turbo upgrade due to the less restrictive airflow and cooler volumetric amount of air efficiency gains thru out the boost curve.
2. As far as the blow off valve- it is not required with either turbo you decide to run.
3. If you decide to swap out the champion ported cylinder heads, 212/212 flat tappet camshaft- ensure that the correct valve springs are installed on the cylinder heads to match your flat tappet camshaft profile/combo. I also recommend replacing the timing chain with a TA performance double roller Roll Master timing chain- if you have not replaced the stock chain already.

Good luck with your endeavor and pay close attention to details- you will have successful build.

Haulz A

Brandnu6,
To answer your two questions concerning an intercooler upgrade and requiring a blow off valve.
1. A SLIC such as Precision intercooler or a front mount intercooler upgrade would be very beneficial for either the 49 or 6262 turbo upgrade due to the less restrictive airflow and cooler volumetric amount of air efficiency gains thru out the boost curve.
2. As far as the blow off valve- it is not required with either turbo you decide to run.
3. If you decide to swap out the champion ported cylinder heads, 212/212 flat tappet camshaft- ensure that the correct valve springs are installed on the cylinder heads to match your flat tappet camshaft profile/combo. I also recommend replacing the timing chain with a TA performance double roller Roll Master timing chain- if you have not replaced the stock chain already.

Good luck with your endeavor and pay close attention to details- you will have successful build.

Haulz A
Good morning. Again, thanks for your response. I will look for a good used stretch intercooler. They do not pop up that often. I may have to buy a new one, if they are available? Yes, the springs are correct for "flat tappet" cam. The person I got the heads from, asked me specifically. And yes, timing chain is done. Also, thanks for clearing up "blow-off valve" issue. We think alike. I am very detail oriented. Double and triple check everything. These cars are very temperamental. I checked 99% of the wiring on the car. All grounds, fuse links, data wires to ECU, you name it, I checked it. Relocated grounds from back head, replaced and relocated all "fuse links." No margin for error, that's me. Have a great day. I wish I could upload files, site won't let me. Anyway, I have a Silver on Grey leather Turbo-T Limited "CF5" [factory] sunroof car. East coast car, no rust, go figure. Take care...