Precision stock location intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacky

Drive it like you stole it
I bought a brand new precision stock location intercooler from precision turbo and engine and the design of the cores has changed greatly. I'm wondering if it's for the better or is it just because that's the cores they could get? I wonder if anybody has any test information. I guess I was shocked when I opened the box and saw different cores than the one I was expecting. If I didn't have a original precision intercooler to compare to, I would have never known the difference.

Anybody encounter this. And hopefully the new design is a better design. I'm wondering which intercooler is the one that I should put in my car, the old school? What are this new design that looks more like my Mark Jackson?

Post a pic of the core close up and might as well the rest of the cooler also

That's a great idea. We have a picture of both intercoolers and I can see if I can have my friend do just that, post the pictures

I hope its still a quality USA piece , especially for what there charging now.

I got the pictures forwarded to me and now we should be able to see the difference. The intercooler on the right is the new design and it's not 18 or 19 rows like their websites says. The other picture is the picture I took of mine that I have an unwrapped yet. Yeah I did it. I see pictures :oops: o_O:X3:

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_172708_480x640.jpg
    IMG_20230331_172708_480x640.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20230331_143120_01_480x853.jpg
    IMG_20230331_143120_01_480x853.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20230331_172725_480x640.jpg
    IMG_20230331_172725_480x640.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 251
Counted the rows of the new intercooler that they are selling and it's like 29 rows. If you go to shop.precisionturbo.net and put in Buick intercooler. You should be able to pull up their ad and the ad still states 18 or 19 rows.

Somebody must have encountered this. We made a call to precision and they don't know anything about it
I'm headed to

While I have no info on the new design I can say that I purchased a new one of these in late 2019 and it is the old style you have on the left, so the change was after that point in time.

Like I said if you call precision they don't even know when the change was made. But what they show is not what you get. The question here. Is it a better design or just something they're throwing together to sell more intercoolers? And what I bought by intercooler back around thanksgiving I had to order it and they said they have some Cores remaining and I thought I was getting the 18 or 19 rows unit that they advertise not the new design that people have precision don't even have an answer about. Disappointing
BUYER BEWARE

I wouldn't get to hung up on the rows, it still looks like a quality piece with the same neck and end tank design and size, it looks like a higher density bar/plate core, i still would like to know why the change in core design, i dont think its a tube/fin core like the stock Garrett but cant tell from pic

Anyway to my knowledge China doesn't do tube/fin core construction (too expensive) at least they never use to

Remember, a Dutt neck 10 row stocker been in the 10s so its not going to hold you back. But the company should have an explanation on why the design change.

I heard from Patrick at precision and he said it was changed about five or six years ago. But as you read on this thread, a member bought one in 2019 and had the design that is advertised by precision. The problem I have is I wanted the one that was originally built that day still advertise. There was no mention of any core changes until I just heard from Patrick a little while ago. V6 sleeper. I'm just perplexed at why I did not get the cores that they said I would be getting. I just don't think it's right

I heard from Patrick at precision and he said it was changed about five or six years ago. But as you read on this thread, a member bought one in 2019 and had the design that is advertised by precision. The problem I have is I wanted the one that was originally built that day still advertise. There was no mention of any core changes until I just heard from Patrick a little while ago. V6 sleeper. I'm just perplexed at why I did not get the cores that they said I would be getting. I just don't think it's right
I hear ya brother, they haven't updated the slic advertised picture ever, its still the old school pic, they should really write up all the spec's and construction of the unit with multiple pictures so everyone knows what there spending $1500 on.

here is the response I got from Patrick at precision turbo and engine. He is the Buick go to guy at the company, a great guy for the Buick community. His response was quick. It's not his full response as I remove the part that didn't pertain to the intercooler cores

Hello Steve.

With regards to the core, from what I remember, the core was changed about 5-6 years ago.

I have not heard of any customers who have done any testing, but you might want to contact Brian Lorenz and see what he says. The core change was done when I was not working for PTE so I don’t know the exact date of the change.

I can tell you, that there have been no complaints about the SLIC since I have been back working for the company.

Patrick

Patrick Rubio

Inside Technical Sales Representative

Precision Turbo & Engine

9401 Georgia St. Suite 2 | Crown Point, IN 46307

Direct (219)690-5314 | (855)996-7832 |

www.precisionturbo.net

Facebook.com/PrecisionTurbo

ISO 9001:2015 Registered

thumbnail

I know there were two different versions but that change was a long time ago, if indeed there was a change 5 or 6 years ago like Patrick said or in 2019 like mentioned in post #9 that would be the 3rd change

I dont remember what the first to second change was but they were minor differences, the newest one you have is clearly different and the 3rd version.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll get it all figured out and now we know what they are selling as far as core design for 1500 plus shipping and as was said..... Hopefully not from China!
Glad for all the people that have chimed in so far and hopefully more will add more useful information. 🤞

Is that how you would do a test of an intercooler. I thought they were to help cool the exhaust air temperature. Not sure what's the best way to test the effectiveness of each intercooler. I think of there is a way that we can test them. It would be great information for anybody that be interested in buying the new style stock location precision Intercooler :unsure: It's a expensive upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.