Gear choices

86GrandNash

I have a 86 regal. With the 200r4. Shift kit and 2800 stall converter with 4:10 gears. It don’t like to stay in fourth due to the gears I’m assuming. I’d like to keep the gears in it is fun but I’m afraid I’m going to burn up the trans. Should I change the gears to 3:73 or slap in a turbo 400 I have laying around. Or go back to stick converter??

Need more details on the car and what you're trying to do with it. If it's a 86 regal with a n/a 3.8 or turd 305 v8, keep the gears and converter. If it's a turbo v6 the 4.10's are probably not ideal but not for the reasons you're stating. A Th400 with 4.10's will put you around 4k rpm's at a steady highway cruising speed. I wouldn't run the stock converter either way. Install auxiliary trans cooler if you're concerned with fluid temps.

I have a 86 regal. With the 200r4. Shift kit and 2800 stall converter with 4:10 gears. It don’t like to stay in fourth due to the gears I’m assuming. I’d like to keep the gears in it is fun but I’m afraid I’m going to burn up the trans. Should I change the gears to 3:73 or slap in a turbo 400 I have laying around. Or go back to stick converter??
Way Back in the day
I ran 4.10 gears in a 200 on a 28 tall tire with 0 issues for years.
car loved it and went 10s@125mph on a 49 turbo and basically a stock motor through 4th gear😉