Shocks

HUENEMEGN

I’m going to be upgrading my 20 year old shocks . What is everyone using ? Coil overs are not in the budget .
My car is lowered with Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks . It feels like I don’t have enough shock travel due to the car being lowered . Been like this for years . Want to try something else . What about the Competition Engineering adjustable shocks ? I heard back then a lot of people used them .
Or what do y’all recommend?

The Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty. Call them and find out what you need to do to have them dealt with. There is no better stock location replacement than the Bilstein units.

Adjustability is not useful unless you're racing. Don't pay money for things you won't use.

The Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty. Call them and find out what you need to do to have them dealt with. There is no better stock location replacement than the Bilstein units.

Adjustability is not useful unless you're racing. Don't pay money for things you won't use.
Is there different length shocks for lowered cars ? My rear suspension feels very stiff . Not to mention I have an HR bar .

It seems the Competition Engineering shocks were more geared towards drag racing, but maybe they had a variety to choose from.
When researching performance handling springs, I ran across quite a few threads saying the Eibach lowering springs were very stiff and harsh riding.
I never did find spring rate numbers for the Eibach springs.
For reference the touring package springs (GN, T-type, Turbo T and the like) are 422 lbs/in. in front and 118 lbs/ in. in the rear.
The UMI Performance lowering springs are 600 lbs/ in. front and 130 lbs/in. Rear.

I had some ATR performance springs on my car with Bilstein shocks.
ATR didn’t publish spring rate numbers, but by the wire diameter I would say they were in the 550 lbs/ in. front and 125 lbs/in. rear range.
I felt the front was a bit soft yet, but the rear was perfect. I like a corner carving ride so my tastes are a bit different that most.
The sway bar shouldn’t make much difference on ride quality, just lateral stiffness.
When asked how mine handles, I like to say: you can drive over a dime and tell if it’s heads or tails. lol

Is there different length shocks for lowered cars ? My rear suspension feels very stiff . Not to mention I have an HR bar .
there are shorter shocks and compressed and extended dimensionsions should always be checked before blankly buying a shock
the comp adjustables listed for our car are long .
issue you can get with short stiff rear springs is a tall shock for std height can drop the rear axle enough to allow the spring to pop out

from gbody forum has a discussion on this

from that discussion the bilstein shocks #s
short front
11.93" Extended Length - 7.95" Collapsed Length - 1973-83 Chevelle, 1973-88 Monte Carlo - GM Intermediate Front
Item #: BIL AK1051

short rear
17.20" Extended Length - 11.28" Collapsed Length - 1973-83 Chevelle, 1973-88 Monte Carlo - GM Intermediate

Item #: BIL AK1052"

link from afco shock site on selecting the correct shock by measurement

http://www.vsmtools.com/U/539/Userf...ng-the-proper-drag-racing-shock-lengths_0.pdf

Last edited:
found dimensions on the often referenced bilstien rear shock for gbody , which is long for drop springs

Part number: 24-009294
Series: Variable depending on application
Extended length: 20.31 Inch
Compressed length: 13.11 Inch
Rear Upper mounting: Bar Pin
Rear Lower mounting: Cantilever

not sure where gbodyforum got there AK dimensions but heres the AK shock dimension chart

Attachments

• AK specs.jpg
    AK specs.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 16