Precision stock location intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final chapter of the saga is Nestor at PTE Is issuing me a full refund on this whatever intercooler they sent me. Patrick rubio at pte, better known as ruqwknf on our forum has read our post and received emails from me, with no reply. Very good customer service lol. Nobody at precision turbo and engine can answer the question of when the change of the intercooler came about, what cores were used or anything because nobody knows anything about the intercooler change. I sure would have thought Patrick Rubio would have replied since he was seen reading our post, but nothing. So back went the intercooler. Let some other sucker buy it. At least I still have the real deal of their old intercooler. :) It's just a shame when you see one of our vendors trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Thanks PTE
BTW when Patrick was talking to me he said they were going to be at this year's bowling Green Nationals and hopefully we can get some answers from them then if ever at all?
Steve c

Nobody at precision turbo and engine can answer the question of when the change of the intercooler came about, what cores were used or anything because nobody knows anything about the intercooler change
I'm wondering if the "team" changed a lot when Harry left, and things fell thru the cracks?
Patrick and Harry were the only folks I dealt with.....

There is definitely no team there. The whole team knows nothing. I don't care who you talk to, nobody knows nothing about the new 32 row intercooler . Sad

With any intercooler, you have several issues happening at once.
Raw pressure drop across the core.
Two issues here: What the restriction is. Easily measured with a flow bench.
But, when the intercooler cools the air, it condenses it (gets smaller/ takes up less volume) and that will show up as an outlet pressure drop in a running engine, and also a temperature drop.
Restriction to the flow of the outside cooling air.
Also easily measured, but the core may see less volume of cooling air thru it, and cool the charge air better.
If the cooler cools the charge air better, regardless of the boost drop, and allows a leaner mixture and more timing, more power may result regardless.
Isolating all of the data without retuning each combo will result in faulty data.
The only way this will be settled will be on a dyno with lots of time and tuning.
Back to back dragstrip runs may be inconclusive as well: due to convertor, chassis, tires, shift points, tuning and a host of other small, but nearly impossible to isolate factors.
Regardless of the core change and cost, the Precision SLIC intercooler is not the only intercooler, or type available.
The core mfgrs, if they both can or will provide ALL of the parameters, are really the only folks that can provide meaningful answers.
It's like buying a cam without having a cam analyzer, dyno, or flowbench, buy what has worked in a similar situation, yours or someone elses, then tune it to the best of your ability, and change it if you don't like it.
The last few pages of this thread are irrelevant due to the total lack of data. Sorry, JMHO
TIMINATOR

The Precision 3" up pipe supplied with my SLIC about a year ago, was manufactured from a piss poor grade of aluminum. Easily seen because of the open "pores" of the pipe as it was stretched on the outside radius of the turn.
Even with a lot of air body tool presanding (several grades of, paper) and prepolishing with my crankshaft polisher, (several grades of belts) and then final buff wheel polishing, again with several grades of rouge, the final polish job doesn't look nearly as nice as the cold air kit. But it still looks better than it did!
This is just me bitching because everyone else is!
And I don't want to feel left out......
TIMINATOR

Tirminator that is a boatload of information that I can't even get from precision. But the good news is they refunded me my money as I saw it in my account and I'm happy with that. We all should be bitching because we deserve better from precision turbo and engine than nothing. I take that back, they raised the price $200. I guess we did get something, more screwing.

Maybe by the time bowling Green comes up PTE can come up with some kind of answers?

Go back to your Facebook. If you don't like something, don't read it. But thanks for putting the post back to the top for anybody interested in a new stock location Intercooler.
Much better ending

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this is NOT a closed forum, others that don't own Buicks are lurking, and deciding if they may want to own a turbo Buick and be a part of this "community."
We all have enough info here to help decide where our next purchase may be from.

Keep it civil or keep it to yourself.
Don't make all of the rest of us here look petty.
Thank You!
The next sound you hear, is me stepping down from my soap box.
P.S. If the Precision guy IS a moderator, he knows what some think about the product and customer support.
What he does with the info will speak volumes as to how they view their customers, practices, and business model. We will all find out in due time.
TIMINATOR

Attachments

• 20230421_184056.jpg
    20230421_184056.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
Keep in mind that this is NOT a closed forum, others that don't own Buicks are lurking, and deciding if they may want to own a turbo Buick and be a part of this "community."
We all have enough info here to help decide where our next purchase may be from.

Keep it civil or keep it to yourself.
Don't make all of the rest of us here look petty.
Thank You!
The next sound you hear, is me stepping down from my soap box.
P.S. If the Precision guy IS a moderator, he knows what some think about the product and customer support.
What he does with the info will speak volumes as to how they view their customers, practices, and business model. We will all find out in due time.
TIMINATOR
Patrick is a great guy, i had good turbo conversations with him back in 2009, im sure he is unaware of the core design change or he would have posted already,
He's probably looking into it technically and the red tape bureaucracy and when he does we will get 2 pages of an answer for sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.