Plug electrode chews up piston, need advice

Mike70gtx

Here are some pictures of what happened when the alky wasn't spraying and burnt the electrode off of the spark plug off of number one. Number two lost a little piece and left a couple nicks on piston number two. Is this a good time to get some champion heads? Will This block have to be torn down to hone cylinder? Will it even hone? The cylinder feels smooth except for the top one inch.

Attachments

• head.JPG
    head.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 231
  • piston.JPG
    piston.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 227
  • piston1.JPG
    piston1.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 237
WOW! I'm no expert but I think you better pull the engine down. I doubt a hone will clean that up.:confused:

IMOP, if you got the money get some ported irons. also IMOP you will have to take the motor all the way down. its hard to see how bad it is in the pics. send the motor to a vendor in your area for a good build. just make sure you have someone that knows how to build these motors so you do it right the first time

You have to replace #1 piston so might as well run through it.

I would test fuel system before the rebuild motor is run hard. Looks to me like your fuel pump was falling short. If it was no alky that caused it., all the pistons would be beat up.

Just my o2.

Ya, check your turbo carefully. The last time I had an electrode come off (champion), it exited the cylinder (causing no damage there) but went through the turbine and took the turbo out!! :eek:

That piston look too damaged to have suffered from just the electrode. Part of the piston head appears to be missing/damaged.

The turbo looks fine. I didn't break it apart but the fins look good on both sides. Number one cylinder electrode was totally gone and number two had a little missing. The other plugs looked alright. It was tuned for a dual nozzle alky. I spent the day putting a new a/c compressor and then hurried to the track. Hadn't been there in quite awhile. I have my checklist written on my cabinet so I don't forget things to take. I will now have my checklist I take to the track. The alky pump connection got unhooked when I changed the fuse for my a/c and I didn't realize it. Anyhow, why number one and two? The RJC bullet proof headgaskets looked like they survived. So would have a standard gasket saved me money? Would it have went first?

The electrode does not just fall off and rattle around. :rolleyes: It's called metal meltdown.

Fuel is fed from the pass side of the fuel rail. It goes around the back and up the driver side ending at the fpr. If and I say If your fuel pump was not up to the task, #1 would be the first cylinder to starve for fuel. #2 would be next.

Now, I'm no veterinarian but I know a pigs ass when I see it.

yes looks like meltdown and i should know ... this is how mine looked 20 plus psi TTA gauge peged out on 93 :eek: thought it had 114

Picture086-1.jpg

Yes, I realize the electrode didn't just fall off. There was some serious heat. I'm hoping that the block can be salvaged. I'm concerned about all the melted metal at the top of the cylinder. It was a standard block bored .30 over. I will try to get it to my builder in the next couple of days to evaluate.

The electrode does not just fall off and rattle around. :rolleyes: It's called metal meltdown.

Fuel is fed from the pass side of the fuel rail. It goes around the back and up the driver side ending at the fpr. If and I say If your fuel pump was not up to the task, #1 would be the first cylinder to starve for fuel. #2 would be next.

Now, I'm no veterinarian but I know a pigs ass when I see it.

#1 would be the last in line for fuel, #3 would be next to last, then #5,6,4,2.
.... keep us posted on your journey.
I had my alky pump hot wire come out of the fusebox also(same thing messing around with the fuse box), my audible knock gage saved my motor.

Chuck

Just got an audible knock gauge! Even though I glue my eyes to the scan master, it was too late. I might have looked at tack or something. It was cylinder #3 that was the 2nd bad one, not number two (it was two on that side). So that makes sense. #1 totally melted and #3 half melted.