Noob here, what oil should I use?

If you haven't installed a roller cam, you're running a flat tappet.

Roller cams may not need as much protection ,what about the rest of the rotating assembly?
New cam rod and main bearings ,are they happy without all the Zinc
Rings to cylinder contact ,oil pump?

Zinc and phosphorus are 'anti scuff' additives. They're designed to help protect two metals that physically rub against each other WITH a good sized load on them. Rod, main, and cam journals never touch the bearings as they ride on a hydrodynamic wedge of oil. No need for scuff protection there.

with all the new parts 4340 cranks and rods Comp Cams new roller lifters is my 25 year old 3.8 really 25 years old?

In some ways, it's much worse. Back in the 80's flat tappets were installed in new cars that came with warranties. The factories had much better QC and had to provide parts to the OEMs that would last through the warranty period.

Fast forward many many years and you've got manufacturers that aren't held as accountable and need to be able to sell parts as cheaply as possible to appease the Wal*Mart mentality. The end result is a recipe for disaster.

Every time a tappet manufacturer upgraded their lines, more roller lifter machinery would be installed while the redheaded stepchild flat tappet stuff got downsized and regulated to the corner. In the old days they all had hardened stellite feet and tough cam blanks.

Buying a flat cam and tappets today isn't the same as what was available decades ago.

As as a side note to demonstrate how 'crappy' Mobil1 is... When my GN was stolen the thieves ran it so hard they melted my TB coolant block off plugs and let the coolant out. The engine go so hot the driven gear in the oil pump physically welded itself to the pin the timing cover (the exact one in my oil pump article). Once the pump locked up, it sheared off the bottom on the cam sensor. The thieves continued to run the car hard enough to knock the RF tire off the rim (I'm guessing when the power steering stopped).

When I got the car home, the starter was smoked. Put a new one in, and the damn thing still ran. It spun the #1 rod bearing. Everything else in my unopened 245,000 mile engine could have been reused.

There's a good chance that ANY quality oil could have gave those results. It's all the same this plus or minus depending on how many drops of 'essence of newt' the blenders add to the vat. Claiming one oil is shit while some other oil is sent from the goddess of lube, is just ludicrous.

i just had the head gaskets replaced due to one blowing exhaust out the passenger side, now I need to know what type of oil to use? I have a 1986 TType with a 3.8 SFI Turbo.

BIG HINT...... do a fucking search...........

"A search you say?"

Yes, a search.......... A search on "What oil should I use?"

Then, put on your big boy pants and make a lubrication decision on your own.

If that decision doesn't work for you, start all over again.

Welcome to adulthood.

Ok so you come on with this song and dance about how Mobil 1 is junk and Royal Purple is god's gift...then you say you made it all up? So are we supposed to believe you or what?
I made it all up wtf ? I tell you what run quaker state an fram filters on your car jack ass

You can add sh and sj to that list. Hey Bison did the after market cam companies ever fix that #3 exhaust lobe issue?
I never checked. That would be a band aid fix since the block lifter bore location is what's really wrong. I run roller cams and don't worry about it at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller cam and lifters.

Moving the bore where it should have been in the first place might do more harm than good. I believe some cam grinders taper that lobe 'wrong' to try and account for he discrepancy.

try to help someone and get this .... you can use castroil and zink supplement done deal if u wanna be cheap ... but me an other are telling u known oils

if u wana bash us use walmart oil!

try to help someone and get this .... you can use castroil and zink supplement done deal if u wanna be cheap ... but me an other are telling u known oils

if u wana bash us use walmart oil!

I hate to say this, but did your doctor change up some meds or something?

In the past I've witnessed you give some pretty decent advice and share some valuable info.

I developed some respect for your comments and seemingly knowledgeable advice.

All of a sudden. you just seem to be pissed off. At everyone.

What gives?

Don't take it wrong, but you have changed.

I hate to say this, but did your doctor change up some meds or something?
In the past I've witnessed you give some pretty decent advice and share some valuable info.
Don't take it wrong, but you have changed.
86regalttype asks for advise and your response is to call him a child in post #84.
Then after 2QUICK2B6 offers his personal experience as anecdotal evidence,you accuse him of being mentally unstable.
Don't take it wrong,but you HAVEN'T changed.

PS. I don't think there is any way that you can take this other than the way it was meant to be taken.

86regalttype asks for advise and your response is to call him a child in post #84.
Then after 2QUICK2B6 offers his personal experience as anecdotal evidence,you accuse him of being mentally unstable.
Don't take it wrong,but you HAVEN'T changed.

PS. I don't think there is any way that you can take this other than the way it was meant to be taken.

So, I suppose this means I shouldn't be anticipating a "freind request" from you on Facebook anytime soon? :meh:

Last edited:
Lol

Attachments

• 1426296178440.jpg
    1426296178440.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 136
BIG HINT...... do a fucking search...........

"A search you say?"

Yes, a search.......... A search on "What oil should I use?"

Then, put on your big boy pants and make a lubrication decision on your own.

If that decision doesn't work for you, start all over again.

Welcome to adulthood.
Do you actually talk to people like this? Without fear of getting punched in the nose? This strikes of keyboard desensitization.

Do you actually talk to people like this? Without fear of getting punched in the nose? This strikes of keyboard desensitization.

Well, in this case and because there have been sooooooooooooooo many threads regarding the very same issue, and the fact that not ONE has been able to definitively answer the question and most especially because the OP has likely made up his mind PRIOR to posting an ENDLESS, MIND NUMBING AND WORTHLESS question.......... Yes, I talk to people like this.

Did I miss it, or did you completely fail to offer an answer to the OP's question?

That said, just who is it that has been "desensitized" by the OP's question, you or me?

You speak of "keyboard desensitization".

Is the threat of a one thousand mile away, "desensitized", internet punch in the nose really the threat you're going to go with here , captain keyboard?

Really?

Last edited:
Point is you can steer a fellow man in a way that doesn't make him feel like shit. Could only imagine if someone replied to you like that.

Point is you can steer a fellow man in a way that doesn't make him feel like shit. Could only imagine if someone replied to you like that.

Here's the deal.

I ask stupid questions every day, some are about my Buick.

Not once have I asked which oil I should use, not once did either of the guys I count on to keep my baby in the 10's, and not once did two of the most innovative Buick gurus in the industry tell me "you should be using ............ oil".

Why? Perhaps because I did a search.......... Right here on TB.com, and I MADE MY OWN DECISION. I made it all by myself.

Whenever I ask a really dumb question , they will, EACH and EVERY time, hand me my ass and ask "Where in the hell did you get that information from?" Most of the time, it comes from one of you savants......:p

At that point, if I have no real research to back it up, as is the case for almost EVERY POST in this thread, the explanation can become somewhat uncomfortable......

OP should read the above twice, and then read it again.

Occasionally, a free education is warranted, This particular case being not only completely and thoroughly warranted, but absolutely necessary.

Why? Because the OP's question was unnecessary and unwarranted. It has been "answered" countless times already.

So, deezdad,

I'm pretty sure all of the information the OP is asking for is available via a simple and easy search right here on TB.com. Do you disagree with that fact?

If you, and the "noob" ask a question that has so many answers, sooooo very many answers, all of them readily available right here on TB.com, it might be reasonable to think that some one might just suggest a simple search, like I did. Perhaps in not so many words, but just a succinctly?

Is that somehow too much to ask?

I'm of the belief that it isn't an unreasonable request, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. The fact remains, I'm not the bad guy here, but more the voice of reason, no? :D

Have yourself a great weekend!

Last edited:
What a bunch of useless bs.

The guy is a noob. We should be happy we have new people joining this site and not turn it into a I know everything and I'm a man that makes decisions crap.

I search on here all the time and its mostly 8-12 years old. I have to scroll and scroll to find the most recent information since new procedures and products are now available.

Let people ask anything they want. It is what this site is for and it is only 1 thread out of 1,000's.

At least he is asking about his TR and not using valuable bandwith to bitch and moan.

Are we men or should we rename this site The Real Housewives of the Buick Community?

What a bunch of useless bs.

The guy is a noob. We should be happy we have new people joining this site and not turn it into a I know everything and I'm a man that makes decisions crap.

I search on here all the time and its mostly 8-12 years old. I have to scroll and scroll to find the most recent information since new procedures and products are now available.

Let people ask anything they want. It is what this site is for and it is only 1 thread out of 1,000's.

At least he is asking about his TR and not using valuable bandwith to bitch and moan.

Are we men or should we rename this site The Real Housewives of the Buick Community?

I couldn't agree with you more about welcoming a new guy. I've had my ass handed to me by a few here for asking a "dumb" question. From there, I tried to take it all in stride and learn from what was said, knowing most of it was meant in a light hearted and teasing, tongue-in-cheek sort of way.

It's funny how so many here have completely lost or just don't seem to have ANY sense of humor, what-so-ever...........

Then again, you bitching about the comments in this post, and then summarily failing to offer the OP one single shred of information regarding his original post doesn't help him any more than anything that has already been said here, now does it?

Which Housewife are you, cowboy? (n):D:D

Last edited: