Noob here, what oil should I use?

86regalttype

i just had the head gaskets replaced due to one blowing exhaust out the passenger side, now I need to know what type of oil to use? I have a 1986 TType with a 3.8 SFI Turbo.

not being a smart ass did you do a search ? This will open a can of worms . On my rebuilt buick engines I run rotella for about 5k miles ... and run rotella in my diesel .. everything else gets Royal purple an wix filters ... just my 2 cents

oh it still wouldn't hurt to add the zddp zink additive, but ive never used it before

You are going to get many answers but the general consensus is add ZDDP to whatever oil you use unless it already has ZDDP in it. The search function will bring up many threads with this as a discussion also.

I use Valvoline Vr1 and wix filters, never an issue..and add zddp every other oil change.. but I change oil every 800 miles cause im nuts

MY 8.1 ONLY RAN for 309k before I sold it . never used any oil ! secret service told me not to tell what oil I used ... 02 8.1 2500 crew cab

I use one quart of castrol 10w30, one quart of rotella 15w40, two quarts of valvoline 20w50 vr1, and one quart of lucas oil treatment.

That way I'm covered and have at least one quart of the most recommended oil in there. Royal purple is for pussy cats so stay away from that over hyped, over priced crap.

I change my oil every month or 500 miles whichever comes first, so don't ask me any oil questions as all I can say is that I'm good at pissing money away needlessly but I will add that my motor is cleaner inside than it is on the outside.

All kidding aside let the oil comparison debate continue to infinity and beyond!!!!!

I use Rotella-T and a Wix racing filter. I never put an additive in it. I change the oil 3 times a season. Once for spring start, once in mid/early summer, and again for the fall. The fall oil sits in the motor all winter 'till spring.

Brian Cotton took a look into the motor after about 6 years of use and said it looked like it was assembled the day before.

I obviously don't have a factory type cam.

Rotella,as with so many other oils has steadily lowered its zinc and phosphorous content. Never add ZDDP because you don't know what you're adding it to,chemically speaking. Let the oil companies formulate the oil. Bradd-Pen,Driven,and Valvoline Racing are three brands with good amounts of ZDDP added to them.

I get a kick out of all these oil post, do this and don't do that ?? ANY oil will do the job if it contains the right amount of chemical ingredients you need for a GASOLINE engine. Yup this oil has this and that oil has that but how many give you ANY numbers ?
People on here saying DON'T put that ZDDP in your oil and I did this and I did that and my engine is fine. Better do a search and get yourself some sound advise about what oils contain and HOW much !!

PS. Yup VR-1 racing oil has a high amount of zinc BUT is it enough? I know do you?

Last edited:
I get a kick out of all these oil post, do this and don't do that ?? ANY oil will do the job if it contains the right amount of chemical ingredients you need for a GASOLINE engine. Yup this oil has this and that oil has that but how many give you ANY numbers ?
People on here saying DON'T put that ZDDP in your oil and I did this and I did that and my engine is fine. Better do a search and get yourself some sound advise about what oils contain and HOW much !!

PS. Yup VR-1 racing oil has a high amount oil zinc BUT is it enough? I know do you?

Actually, I agree. I use and do what I do mostly out of habit. And since I have had no trouble then there's no reason to change my brand of oil and my scheduled changings. I could care less about what's in the stuff. I'm no chemist. So even if you told me, it might sound like Quantum String Theory to me.

When the motor was built I was told to use Rotella-T. I think the engine builder has changed his mind 6 times since then. However, I'm a creature of habit. So, Rotella it is.

You are going to get many answers but the general consensus is add ZDDP to whatever oil you use unless it already has ZDDP in it. The search function will bring up many threads with this as a discussion also.
You were right, what a can of worms! The previous owner used Rotella, just got a message from him so that's what I will use. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Actually having a discussion with a guy right now about this. From my own experience my car with 56k miles or so was run only on Brad Penn. You can see what the inside looked like in the Virginia area thread where SteveV posted pics during the rebuild. (believe it was titled "made a new friend today") Car was run hard but looked mint inside!

Actually having a discussion with a guy right now about this. From my own experience my car with 56k miles or so was run only on Brad Penn. You can see what the inside looked like in the Virginia area thread where SteveV posted pics during the rebuild. (believe it was titled "made a new friend today") Car was run hard but looked mint inside!
I used to use rotella yrs ago , it doesn't have the zinc it once had moved over to vr1 20/50 still going strong ten yrs . If car is still flat Tappett cam add zddp , I went roller when had motor redone . I think the brad penn is the best out there , ran it in my 750hp Pontiac street strip car with nitrous for yrs . When sold engine took pan off and it was beautiful in pan just normal bearing wear , looked incredible inside.

10w 30 with a bottle of ZDDP on a unraced car will do you fine. Pick your brand. I stay away from Rotella because they will not answer exactly how much zinc is in their oil. Bradd Penn is the only one that has provided spec data upon request I know of. I change my oil every 2000 miles on my daily driven TR.

"Rotella" had to change their formula due to EPA pressure. A recommendation for that years ago, is no longer valid. It's apples and giraffes.