Noob here, what oil should I use?

I couldn't agree with you more about welcoming a new guy. I've had my ass handed to me by a few here for asking a "dumb" question. From there, I tried to take it all in stride and learn from what was said, knowing most of it was meant in a light hearted and teasing, tongue-in-cheek sort of way.

It's funny how so many here have completely lost or just don't seem to have ANY sense of humor, what-so-ever...........

Then again, you bitching about the comments in this post, and then summarily failing to offer the OP one single shred of information regarding his original post doesn't help him any more than anything that has already been said here, now does it?

Which Housewife are you, cowboy? (n):D:D

See comment #51.

I made it all up wtf ? I tell you what run quaker state an fram filters on your car jack ass
Scott, go back and look what you typed. I am sure thats what Rick was referring to. Guys relax- Its just motor oil on a discussion board lol..

changed oil in a 10k buick turbo took wire off to prime knocked for a few seconds with mobil 1 .... drained oil used royal purple car has never knocked agin on cold start.... inclouding my 48k mile gn I thought something was wrong with it because of knock with mobil 1 when I was a newbie .... I just made all this up lol use what u wANT TO except mobil 1 or quaker state

Wow, what a kerfuffle over a simple question. By the way I went with a synthetic and a FRAM filter, seems good enough for a driver, not out to compete with it. Thanks for all the good advice on this thread, no point in getting worked up about the guys who think they know it all. They maybe right or wrong but I guess I will learn by trial and error.

Wow, what a kerfuffle over a simple question. By the way I went with a synthetic and a FRAM filter, seems good enough for a driver, not out to compete with it. Thanks for all the good advice on this thread, no point in getting worked up about the guys who think they know it all. They maybe right or wrong but I guess I will learn by trial and error.
lol well I hate to start another 6 page scuffle, BUT........ I wouldn't use a FRAM filter either..thats worse then the kind of oil to use...

lol well I hate to start another 6 page scuffle, BUT........ I wouldn't use a FRAM filter either..thats worse then the kind of oil to use...
Why is that? I havent run it yet except to move it from the mechanic shop to storage. Could always change it again before driving it.

Why is that? I havent run it yet except to move it from the mechanic shop to storage. Could always change it again before driving it.
Just cut one apart, they have very little filter material. Use what you want he is just trying to save you a headache.

Yea I was encouraging you to use the search function but in short , Wix, ac Delco, Napa gold

Wix or napa gold are what I used to use, even ac delco filters suck now.

I never had a failure or problem with a WIX, I can't say the same for the other brands.

I run a K and P filter now as it's resuable, won't crush or come apart and the best feature is that I can inspect it at every oil change when I clean it.

Last edited:
All I use is Wix..I use to run delco up to about 6 or 7 years ago... but im sure other guys had success with a few other brands just not Fram unless its the race filter guys were using.