Noob here, what oil should I use?

This is scary. I've been running Mobil1 in everything I touch since the mid 80's before I was a teenager.

I bet all these engines are going to let go at once!

Fwi. I have been running Mobil 1 10w40 since my 1st oil back in 1987. 74k 100's of 1/4 mile passes. Never have had a part failure (yet) knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's sl, sm or sn
on the starburst label on the back of the bottle. ..i don't care what brand....and you have a flat tappet and you are not running zddplus or equivalent added to the oil. Then your flirting with disaster....aka a fool. Its just doesn't give the protection needed in those series/grades

Last edited:
If it's sl, sm or sn
on the starburst label on the back of the bottle. ..i don't care what brand....and you have a flat tappet and you are not running zddplus or equivalent added to the oil. Then your flirting with disaster....aka a fool. Its just doesn't give the protection needed in those series/grades
You can add sh and sj to that list. Hey Bison did the after market cam companies ever fix that #3 exhaust lobe issue?

changed oil in a 10k buick turbo took wire off to prime knocked for a few seconds with mobil 1 .... drained oil used royal purple car has never knocked agin on cold start.... inclouding my 48k mile gn I thought something was wrong with it because of knock with mobil 1 when I was a newbie .... I just made all this up lol use what u wANT TO except mobil 1 or quaker state

changed oil in a 10k buick turbo took wire off to prime knocked for a few seconds with mobil 1 .... drained oil used royal purple car has never knocked agin on cold start.... inclouding my 48k mile gn I thought something was wrong with it because of knock with mobil 1 when I was a newbie .... I just made all this up lol use what u wANT TO except mobil 1 or quaker state
I don't get it. Why are you advising against Mobile 1? Are you adding anything useful to this thread?

mobil 1 is junk ! I have 3 tr's and 2 TTA's I think I should know what they like? who are you ? what useful info are u adding to this thread is the question?

I only got 309k miles out of a gas 8.1 02 2500 using royal purple when I sold it... no oil leaks or consumption bought new

this is the truck

Last edited:
mobil 1 is junk ! I have 3 tr's and 2 TTA's I think I should know what they like? who are you ? what useful info are u adding to this thread is the question?
Ok so you come on with this song and dance about how Mobil 1 is junk and Royal Purple is god's gift...then you say you made it all up? So are we supposed to believe you or what?

330k on my duramax
230k on my aurora
210k on 2000 Monte Carlo
305k on my last Silverado before I sold it

Always used whatever API certified oil I got the best price on when buying in bulk nothing special used only recommended viscosities.

The GN is the only thing I use anything "special" in and its just 10-30 VR1

330k on my duramax
230k on my aurora
210k on 2000 Monte Carlo

Always used whatever API certified oil I got the best price on when buying in bulk nothing special used only recommended viscosities.

You definitely get your use out of a vehicle! lol ....That's over 1 million

Last edited:
330k on my duramax
230k on my aurora
210k on 2000 Monte Carlo

So all of those vehicles have flat tappet cams?

You can add sh and sj to that list. Hey Bison did the after market cam companies ever fix that #3 exhaust lobe issue?

Right but you don't see those grades hardly ever anymore. And most don't know but Royal Purple was bought out several years ago and isn't it's original formula. Look at the back of the bottle of royal purple......mainstream sl, sm, sn grades. You have...repeat have to have a zddp ppm limit by law when you have these grades due to the epa mandating the zinc additive limit for the catalytic converter life. That package depletes during the use of the oil and I'll say it again if your using a flat tappet and these grade oils your playing Russian roulette and even more so with the higher spring psi like lt1 and comp 980 spring psi. And people comparing new (new being in the last 15+ year's which are roller) factory roller lifter engines with hundreds of thousands of miles to a 60's tech flat tappet engine isn't s good comparison.

Last edited:
So all of those vehicles have flat tappet cams?
No and you know that. It was more of a statement of synthetic high dollar oils vs conventional. You notice I said my GN gets VR1.

Also yea its over a million miles but not all by me. The only vehicle I have ever purchased with less than 100k is my GN. I have put a ton of miles on my stuff, but I don't buy new vehicles. Poor investment IMOP

my 99 ranger 2.5 4cyl has over 400k, had it since 150k. I commute with it and oil changes vary from 5-10k. Been running Fred's Dollar Store 20/50 in it for 4 years or so. Now it is near the end of its life but she keeps on riding. My car had Mobil 10/30 from 10k until I bought it @ 60k and I went to 15/50. I did wipe a cam lobe after freshening it up. Then I built it better and went roller. I currently use VR1. I believe the flat tappet cammed cars need to and/or add the zddp and the roller cammed cars it's your option.

Roller cams may not need as much protection ,what about the rest of the rotating assembly?
New cam rod and main bearings ,are they happy without all the Zinc
Rings to cylinder contact ,oil pump?
If a new rebuild is using all this new stuff wouldn't it benefit from a good quality oil,without all this Zinc
If you call Valvoline about your buick he will say use VR1 but for your 580hp ZL1 full synthetic ?
Both make big power,both are push-rod engine with roller cams ,ring package not much different
The new Corvette and some of the high $ sport cars come with Mobil 1 .
all this may have some good points ,but with all the new parts 4340 cranks and rods Comp Cams new roller lifters is my 25 year old 3.8 really 25 years old?

I run 4 quarts of marvel mystery oil and 1 quart of mobil1 0w-05 piss water.

Over 600 thousand miles on the engine without a rebuild and it's a MYSTERY why it still runs.

Better yet you should run with only two quarts of oil for less windage so you can gain 1.0238756 HP.

I love oil threads and can't believe that every time this discussion comes up you get the same answers, NONE!!!!!!

Lot's of opinions out there but like brands and qualities of oil so are the parts we use to build our engines.

Once again let the madness of this discussion continue on. :LOL: