Nitrous Assisted Launch

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
A short clip I put together to show the effectiveness of using nitrous oxide injection to spool the turbo at the line. She leaves like a naturally aspirated engine.

I usually go WOT on the second amber, so the launch is a little weak on this run.

YouTube - Grand National @ Barona 123107

That particular run had a 1.350 60 ft. The best for the car that weekend was 1.289.

The nitrous is on for just a fraction of a second. If you study the video carefully you'll hear the engine relax just as the car is coming off the wheelie. That is the point where the nitrous is shutting down at 16 psi. From that point on it's all T76 turbo. You'll notice also that as the turbo comes up on good boost the tires lift again.

I noticed you are pre-spooling the turbo as your putting on the staging lights. I bet that helps also, something i should do also........ That car spools really quick, have you tried it without nitrous, how many seconds to 10 psi without the nos.?

The torque converter stalls at 2440 @ 0 boost. I stage and bring the rpm up to 2250 to 2350 rpm. The trigger restrictions for the nitrous system are, over 2440 rpm, over 94 kPa (0 boost) and WOT switch. I have an override switch that I activate so that I can do a burnout without worrying about the NOS activating during the burnout.

This is the car launching without nitrous.

YouTube - Grand National Early Test Run of Alky Buick V6 ver.2.0

donwg,if i didn't watch both videos i wouldn't believe the difference,the car hits much sooner and more violent nice 60!

Good lord that is cool, it happens so fast!!

Even the non nitrous assisted launch was good considering 231 cubes is spooling a T76 turbo that fast.

Who's transbrake are you running??

Good lord that is cool, it happens so fast!!

Even the non nitrous assisted launch was good considering 231 cubes is spooling a T76 turbo that fast.

Who's transbrake are you running??

The video of the launch without the use of nitrous is an old one. The year was 2004, I believe. I had the T70 on the car then.

I'm presently using a Hughes Performance transbrake on top of a T400 I put together. It's been great and I have no complaints.

That brings up another point. The T/C I use is rather tight and the 1-2 shifts were so violent that the normal HD sprag that's commonly used in racing 400s would roll over after the 1st or 2nd run. I got real tired of replacing intermediate sprag assemblies, so I went with the latest, new super-sprag setup. So far, it's been holding up great. Another reason to be careful about going to too tight a torque converter.

I plan on trying out Chris' latest transbrake valve body to see if there's any advantage over what I'm using now.

Gotta love it!

Don- what size jets are you using, i only ask because i dont think you provided us with that info.

That really is impressive, real small motor and a huge turbo, wheels up just enough and running 5s. :biggrin:

I am impressed, looks like you were on a sunday stroll how straight the car went down the track

BW :smile:

Gotta love it!

Don- what size jets are you using, i only ask because i dont think you provided us with that info.

That really is impressive, real small motor and a huge turbo, wheels up just enough and running 5s. :biggrin:

I am impressed, looks like you were on a sunday stroll how straight the car went down the track

BW :smile:

It is a port injection system with each nozzle having a #24 nitrous jet size and a #24 fuel jet size. The nitrous system fuel used is methanol at 44 psi. The same regulated fuel rail pressure as the rest of the fuel system.

The estimated HP level of the whole nitrous system is 195 horsepower.