Nitrous Assisted Launch

Here's my update. The car is down for suspension upgrades. I've installed a FI91X turbo that is a total bear to spool. Before putting the car down for the upgrades, I was up to a 245 shot that spooled the turbo to 8 psi in .8 seconds. It gave me a 1.6x 60 foot and enough boost to tear up the tires on the shift to second. Without the nitrous assist, it would not boost up until just before the 660 ft. mark. When it did though, it was pretty cool doing a burnout across the finish line at over 80 mph. The 91mm is going to be a great test for nitrous.
When the car is ready to go back to the track, it will have a 300+hp shot on board that will shut down at 8 psi. Basically, the car will be setup to leave like a true nitrous car and then the shut off point for the nitrous will be tuned in to provide a smooth transition to boost. I'm looking for a nitrous shot large enough so that I can activate it right at transbrake release and still give me a super launch. This will give me a good car for pro light racing.

Of course! Of course! Wow! Two fans! I'm starting to feel impotent. :tongue:

I'll admit it...

I'm a fan of your work and development too,
besides your being so open and helpful to everyone.:D

Nitrous Assist Example

Here's a video of a Volkswagen flat 4 on methanol, single turbocharged using nitrous assist. The static compression ratio is somewhere in the 6.x:1s, and the max boost is somewhere in the 80s psi. The block and heads are aftermarket. You'll notice that the nitrous is used to spool the turbo to an unknown value while sitting at the starting line.

YouTube - New barona Track Record

Here's an idea for spooling a big turbo with a small engine using nitrous.

A)Set the transbrake.

B)Activate the nitrous system for a set amount of time with the BOV wide open.

C)After the set amount of time has elapsed, slam shut the BOV and turn off the nitrous. Wastegate then takes control of the launch boost level.

D)Release the transbrake and ramp in the boost as desired.

The amount of time that the nitrous system is activated with the BOV at wide open will depend on the time required to get the particular engine/turbo combination to the desired boost level for the launch. It will also depend on the nitrous shot size being used to help spool the turbo.

I'm sure this procedure is already being used. I've just never seen it explained.

Sounds like fun, don't it? :D

Here's an idea for spooling a big turbo with a small engine using nitrous.

A)Set the transbrake.

B)Activate the nitrous system for a set amount of time with the BOV wide open.

C)After the set amount of time has elapsed, slam shut the BOV and turn off the nitrous. Wastegate then takes control of the launch boost level.

D)Release the transbrake and ramp in the boost as desired.

The amount of time that the nitrous system is activated with the BOV at wide open will depend on the time required to get the particular engine/turbo combination to the desired boost level for the launch. It will also depend on the nitrous shot size being used to help spool the turbo.

I'm sure this procedure is already being used. I've just never seen it explained.

Sounds like fun, don't it? :D

Supercharged cars have been doing it for years. They don't run the risk of damage by overspeeding a turbo though:eek: It's a simple setup and only requires a small solenoid tied into the BOV ref. line and PWM or standard, configurable ECM output.

scott wile

Supercharged cars have been doing it for years. They don't run the risk of damage by overspeeding a turbo though:eek: It's a simple setup and only requires a small solenoid tied into the BOV ref. line and PWM or standard, configurable ECM output.

scott wile
That's why you would slowly creep up on that time activated number. Start out with 2 tenths of a second and move up as needed.