Nitrous Assisted Launch

we got one(ZEX) easy to install and works GREAT!!!!!
start spray(3000rpm) stop spray(7psi)

Spool-up.......
at the line---the car leaves at 28-2900 rpm,---3000rpm start to spray then sprays to 7psi.

That's how I first started injecting nitrous. I would roll into the activation like you are. Very safe way to do it. That bottle must be lasting forever. Have you timed how long the nitrous is on? What shot size?

That's how I first started injecting nitrous. I would roll into the activation like you are. Very safe way to do it. That bottle must be lasting forever. Have you timed how long the nitrous is on? What shot size?

Bottle has been on the car for about 2 months:biggrin: .
Then activation light(when spraying) is only ON for "less than a second" or at least it seem like that.
I have been "thinking" about spraying to about 10-12psi:confused: BUT you know the ole saying "if it is not broken.........":wink:

this thread makes me sick to know that I **could** run such a large turbo on the street, but still have it leave at the track.... Gotta love it! Keep up the good work!

I'm actualy looking forward to the street response, as my BBturbo spools real fast on the brake already.

I would imagine a BB turbo with a small shot would be the epitome of instant boost!

-Will

I am pretty excited about this as well, I already have the nitrous system. Just need to install the bottle brackets and fill the tank.

I am running a 82mm Turbonetics on my 370" V-8. My converter is way too tight also. Last week I ran a 9.87 @ 144 mph with a lame duck 1.71 60'. Next track outing is going to be nitrous assisted!

I have an accel DFI system for running the hit, that will allow me to not run it while the brake is on. Should I set it up to come on before I release the brake?

Ryan K.

I am pretty excited about this as well, I already have the nitrous system. Just need to install the bottle brackets and fill the tank.

I am running a 82mm Turbonetics on my 370" V-8. My converter is way too tight also. Last week I ran a 9.87 @ 144 mph with a lame duck 1.71 60'. Next track outing is going to be nitrous assisted!

I have an accel DFI system for running the hit, that will allow me to not run it while the brake is on. Should I set it up to come on before I release the brake?

Ryan K.

If the 1.71 60' is mainly due to turbo lag, then absolutely start the nitrous shot before transbrake release. Be warned though. If you start the shot too early and you build up a lot of boost, BE PREPARED! Either your tires will light up, or you'll be headed for the sky.

Lately I've installed a delay box that controls both the nitrous activation and the transbrake release. On a 3 amber tree, I release the transbrake button at the first sign of the first amber. A programmed time later, the nitrous activates and another programmed time later, the transbrake is released. The delay box allows consistant, and very controllable launches. No more wondering what the next launch is going to be like. If you go the delay box route, setup your delays so that the nitrous is on for about .3 seconds before the transbrake comes off. Note the attitude of the car during launch and increase the time delay between the two until the car is just too crazy on the launch. You'll find that with the delay box, the staging and launching procedure is much less stressful, since you will know for sure how the car is going to leave.

Without the delay box, it's absolutely impossible to get consistant launches. You're talking about 2 tenths of a second difference causing a very tame launch or an up in the air crazy launch. Don't waste your time. Get a delay box.

It is very cool!!! :cool: You will love it!

Also Ryan. Don't do anything with the stall of the torque converter. After you get the delay dialed in, believe me, the tightness of your T/C will be the last of your concerns. In fact, you'll be better off with a tight T/C with nitrous assisted turbocharging. Good luck and let us know how things turn out. Sounds like you're going to be having a lot of fun. Excited for you.

What shot size are you starting with?

Well, I have a .074 jet sitting here...LOL.

I really don't know what to start out with, I have a huge selection of jets.

I am running a MSBC-1 for a boost controller, I can set it to what ever boost I want it to hit, and the DFi can turn off the spray when it gets there, I was thinking of setting the Nitrous to turn on at WOT, RPM>2500, & boost <12 psi. Then set the launch Boost level to 14 PSI. But thats just a guess.

Also, do you run any type of two-step off the line? I'd Rather not build much heat in the Converter... Hell, I don't know.

Ryan

Well, I have a .074 jet sitting here...LOL.

I really don't know what to start out with, I have a huge selection of jets.

I am running a MSBC-1 for a boost controller, I can set it to what ever boost I want it to hit, and the DFi can turn off the spray when it gets there, I was thinking of setting the Nitrous to turn on at WOT, RPM>2500, & boost <12 psi. Then set the launch Boost level to 14 PSI. But thats just a guess.

Also, do you run any type of two-step off the line? I'd Rather not build much heat in the Converter... Hell, I don't know.

Ryan

I would start out with a 100 shot. I'm using a 200 shot, but my engine is smaller than yours. All your other starting points look conservative. That's OK. Try it out and see what you get. Work up into the monster launch. I would try to work the size of the nitrous shot up to one that will get you to the boost turn off point in less that 1 second. I'm at about .4 seconds with my setup. That way I'm not sitting there too long listening to the nitrous try to spool the turbo. It just makes me nervous.

I'm going to be experimenting with staged rev control with the new turbo. It would be a good idea to use it. I only want to have to concentrate on doing one thing when the lights start coming down, and that's releasing the transbrake button.

Well, I made it to the track, only got three runs in....

I decided to put in a 42 jet (single). And set it up to come on at WOT, 2500 rpm, and <12 psi. I am running a MSBC-1 boost controller but I had not hooked up the Launch and Shift functions. My Target boost was set at 20#. Needless to say that at 20#, about 800 to the wheels, the suspension won't hold.

The first pass, I didn't get it spooled up quick enought and it rolled out soft.

The second pass, I got staged, Hit the gas and went right up to the 4000 rpm two step setpoint and then proceded to make 20 psi. ( I didn't have the boost controller setup to keep the boost down on the line). Once the brake came off, the tire smoke ensued! LOL. It picked up the front then unloaded and spun hard!

The third pass was racing so I just dialed and didn't use the nitrous.

This weekend, I have a domestic turbo event on the plate. So I'll get the Boost controller setup for the launch input and shift input to change the stages. I'll set it up to Launch at 10 psi, then go to 15 psi for first gear, 18 psi for second gear, then 20 psi for third. We'll see how it goes!

Ryan K.

Dialing it in. That's the fun part. You know you have all you need and more. Now you just need to tame it.

I'd be careful about having 20 psi at only 4,000 rpm on the brake. That's a lot of cylinder pressure. Good move dropping it to 10.

I was just thinking about something. You're not going to have your nitrous still going on the two step at 10 psi are you?

I have it setup that when it hits 9 psi the nitrous turns off. That way its only on long enough to get it setup for the launch.