Made my first 8 second pass today on the first time out in 10 years

norbs said:
I was being on the conservative side:)

I wouldn't want to go much over 160mph myself without preventing some of the air from getting under the car. There's mph and stability there with some air redirection. These cars are flying bricks.

I wouldn't want to go much over 160mph myself without preventing some of the air from getting under the car. There's mph and stability there with some air redirection. These cars are flying bricks.

I never had anything on mine other than the air dam. Its a lot smoother than you'ld think and really not that bad.

How about some details on the combo?

Not really anything special. Most everything was off the shelf parts. Some stuff needed fabrication.

Stage 2 on center iron block machined by Bob Bruneau from Bristol CT
4" bore, 3.59 stroke for 272 inches
9:1 compression, JE pistons with special metric ring pack.
Stage 2 heads I picked up used. Still running the same hardware for the last 12 years with exception of the springs.
billet Crower crank was added when freshened for piece of mind
Crower Titanium 6.5" rods, same rods I run for the last 12 years.
CAS fabricated aluminum intake with some small modifications made by me, mostly for fitment.
Modified TA performance high volume oil pump cover with TA performance oil adapter for external oil lines. Modified to clear Gear drive(Another used part I been using for 12 years)
JJ Billet fabricaion oil pan.
Modified ATR headers for T6 Flange turbo
Y2K88 billet wheel turbo(Special thanks to Jack Cotton and Turbonetics for supporting me on this turbo)
CAS V2(I think) intercooler
Camshaft - Selected, reaseached by myself. Will hold back on the specs. Will say that this was a comprimise between durability and power. I do mostly street driving and cruise nights and don't like the idea of changing springs and roller lifters. Camshaft lobe selection made with consulting Bob Bruneau of Bristol CT.
Modified Fluid damper for factory ignition pick-up ring
Stock ignition module and stock replacment Accel coil(Yes they work).
Bob Baily 2 step
MSD wires

Transmission -
Built by me using mostly, if not all CK performance parts with a little of my own flavor mixed in.
CK transbrake, CK direct drum and super sprag, CK billet intermediate shaft, Billet oversized input shaft, CK Direct drum stabilizer. And other modifications made by myself.
Standard gear ratio
PTC converter supplied by Dusty

Fuel management
XFI version 2.10 dyno tuned by Otto
Boost control using XFI closed loop analog 8 and no CO2 - Love this feature and saved me from buying an AMS. May add CO2 at a later date for increase boost range.
Single Aeromotive Pump, Rgulator mounted to drivers side rail(will be upgrading this)
160# injectors
Aeromotive fuel pump controler
Fast/PCS Dash
Fast/PCS Accelerometer
Fast/PCS EGT module
GPS integrated into Fast/PCS Dash
Utilizing 7 of 8 analog inputs and driveshaft speed input

Rear
Strange 9" with 3.90:1 gears
35 spline axles
Reinforced with back brace and oversize axle tubes
Spool
Ladder bar suspension

Front
Tubular upper and lower control arms
Moroso front drag springs
Cheapo lakewood front 90/10 shocks
no sway bar

Body
155,000 original mile car
Bodywork and paint prep done by me
Paint applied by Good Friend Bob Turcotte. We have restoration/hobby shop here in CT.

Allan G.

turbobuick said:
I never had anything on mine other than the air dam. Its a lot smoother than you'ld think and really not that bad.

From a performance standpoint there is definitely a few mph there at the level you were running with some body modification.

Not really anything special. Most everything was off the shelf parts. Some stuff needed fabrication.

Stage 2 on center iron block machined by Bob Bruneau from Bristol CT
4" bore, 3.59 stroke for 252 inches
9:1 compression, JE pistons with special metric ring pack.
Stage 2 heads I picked up used. Still running the same hardware for the last 12 years with exception of the springs.
billet Crower crank was added when freshened for piece of mind
Crower Titanium 6.5" rods, same rods I run for the last 12 years.
CAS fabricated aluminum intake with some small modifications made by me, mostly for fitment.
Modified TA performance high volume oil pump cover with TA performance oil adapter for external oil lines. Modified to clear Gear drive(Another used part I been using for 12 years)
JJ Billet fabricaion oil pan.
Modified ATR headers for T6 Flange turbo
Y2K88 billet wheel turbo(Special thanks to Jack Cotton and Turbonetics for supporting me on this turbo)
CAS V2(I think) intercooler
Camshaft - Selected, reaseached by myself. Will hold back on the specs. Will say that this was a comprimise between durability and power. I do mostly street driving and cruise nights and don't like the idea of changing springs and roller lifters. Camshaft lobe selection made with consulting Bob Bruneau of Bristol CT.
Modified Fluid damper for factory ignition pick-up ring
Stock ignition module and stock replacment Accel coil(Yes they work).
Bob Baily 2 step
MSD wires

Transmission -
Built by me using mostly, if not all CK performance parts with a little of my own flavor mixed in.
CK transbrake, CK direct drum and super sprag, CK billet intermediate shaft, Billet oversized input shaft, CK Direct drum stabilizer. And other modifications made by myself.
Standard gear ratio
PTC converter supplied by Dusty

Fuel management
XFI version 2.10 dyno tuned by Otto
Boost control using XFI closed loop analog 8 and no CO2 - Love this feature and saved me from buying an AMS. May add CO2 at a later date for increase boost range.
Single Aeromotive Pump, Rgulator mounted to drivers side rail(will be upgrading this)
160# injectors
Aeromotive fuel pump controler
Fast/PCS Dash
Fast/PCS Accelerometer
Fast/PCS EGT module
GPS integrated into Fast/PCS Dash
Utilizing 7 of 8 analog inputs and driveshaft speed input

Rear
Strange 9" with 3.90:1 gears
35 spline axles
Reinforced with back brace and oversize axle tubes
Spool
Ladder bar suspension

Front
Tubular upper and lower control arms
Moroso front drag springs
Cheapo lakewood front 90/10 shocks
no sway bar

Body
155,000 original mile car
Bodywork and paint prep done by me
Paint applied by Good Friend Bob Turcotte. We have restoration/hobby shop here in CT.

Allan G.

Thanks for sharing. A true street monster; that's what I really like to see.

I would look into the traction control option from FAST, especially if its a street car, and the JMS voltage booster for the igntion and injectors, it would really be a bonus to your combo. Also your data logging is just amazing, never seen anything like it...

I would look into the traction control option from FAST, especially if its a street car, and the JMS voltage booster for the igntion and injectors, it would really be a bonus to your combo. Also your data logging is just amazing, never seen anything like it...

Norbs,
I have the traction control feature, I just didn't enable it. Wanted to establish some sort of baseline before trying to many things. I also wired the creep feature into the cruise control stalk but chose not to try it yet.

I don't have the fancy JMS booster but do have a home made unit wired in, and also didn't try it. I have it triggered from the Fast AUX output but had the boost thershold higher than what I was running.

The Fast Dash has some minor issues but is awsome tool for extended data logging. Being a test Engineer, looking at the data is where the fun begins with me.

Allan G.

From a performance standpoint there is definitely a few mph there at the level you were running with some body modification.
I agree and my new car is going to have a rear belly pan and some mods to the front end for this reason.

Allan, what do you have to do to keep from being thrown out of the track if you want to go all out again?

Allan, what do you have to do to keep from being thrown out of the track if you want to go all out again?

First thing would be chasis certification. That should be cake. I had already called and inspector for that over a month ago. Next would be to persue getting my license. That would take more effort but not unmanagable.

I'm in no big hurry to go back. Looking at the data I accumulated, I would like to make some refinments to the fuel system. I also need to think about putting real wheel tubs in the car and get rid of the widened stock inner wheel wells. Tires were growing and hitting on the top end.

For now, its time to put the street tires back on and have some fun !!!
Allan G.

Would it not be easier to put a shorter tire on it?

norbs said:
Would it not be easier to put a shorter tire on it?

That's a step backwards IMO. It's not an outrageous amount of work to get a full set of tubs in there.

Allan,

Congrats on the ET and MPH. Very impressive! You said you wanted an 8 sec street car and it sounds like you've got one. Performance like this on just your first outing shows you've got a great combo that is well thought out an some good guy's lending a hand where you need them to. BTW, not to give you a hard time but the motor is 270" not 252". :D

Keep up the good work.

Neal

Allan,

Congrats on the ET and MPH. Very impressive! You said you wanted an 8 sec street car and it sounds like you've got one. Performance like this on just your first outing shows you've got a great combo that is well thought out an some good guy's lending a hand where you need them to. BTW, not to give you a hard time but the motor is 270" not 252". :D

Keep up the good work.

Neal
Thanks for the kind words Neal. The 252 thing was an unintentional typo and fixed it now. I'm convinced that there is a bunch left in it. I took some timing out and was only launching at about 11# boost. I think I drop a few tenths at the same boost level.

Now it's time to focus on getting it legal !!

Allan G.