Made my first 8 second pass today on the first time out in 10 years

After reviewing the logs it's easy to say 8.70's won't be any problem at all. The tune is very soft down low and will make more power up top as well.

After reviewing the logs it's easy to say 8.70's won't be any problem at all. The tune is very soft down low and will make more power up top as well.

Dusty,
Thanks for taking the time to look at the data. Another reason for anyone to buy a PTC converter from you. After I get things back in order, I can't wait to take it down the track in some cooler weather and little more boost.

Allan G.

So your sending the converter back to Dusty?

No, Dusty feels that the converter is right-on. Will need to work on the low-midrange part of the tune. I'm not ever going to bracket race this race so I can tollerate the slow spool.

Can always resort to NOS....

Allan G.

No, Dusty feels that the converter is right-on. Will need to work on the low-midrange part of the tune. I'm not ever going to bracket race this race so I can tollerate the slow spool.

Can always resort to NOS....

Allan G.
Careful. Very addicting once you get a good taste of it. ;)

For the rpm range Alan wants to run in, the converter can't go any looser. I feel with a little work on the fuel and timing maps the car will wake up quite a bit from where it was at in the video.

turbobitt said:
31-13-15 MT's.
Tire size worked well with the 3.90 gears.
Allan G.

390 gear with those tires has the car responding very well at the current power level. 3.70 might show some benefit if you really want to run it for all it's worth. With some small revisions and a little better air it run some 70's without adding any power.

There would be no gain with 3.70 at the current boost levels. Next time I turn it it, it may be a different story but still think the 3.90 are optimal for this combination.

Allan G.

I am seeing 1000 rpm drop on the shift, don;t you think this is a bit much?

I don't know, What is expected ? May react different with more timing. I was also thinking of what a 2.20 or CK's new 2.32 transmission gearset would do.

Allan G.

norbs said:

That converter was built for more power than he's throwing at it. I'd bet with boost in the high 30's it would flash at least 400rpm higher.

As Bison said. When he puts more power to it, it will drop less. His timing map needed a bit of work that IMO will help some.

Something to consider if dialing in the tune doesn't get spool-up like he wants would be loosening the converter. You could shift it at 7000 rpm with the boost lower for low 9-8.90 passes. Then for all out passes shift point could be raised to 7400 to keep the converter coupled.

Currently at his intended shift point there is no room to go looser. He went higher than he intended on that pass where he had 1000 rpm drop.

I'm with Bison. When you start throwing more at it, a higher rear gearset.

May be a good debate but based on my calculations, at 160 MPH the engine should be about 7150, at 165 MPH engine would be 7400 RPM. Don't really have an idea yet where power will start falling off.
This is calculated given that slippage would be about the same.

Allan G.

turbobitt said:
May be a good debate but based on my calculations, at 160 MPH the engine should be about 7150, at 165 MPH engine would be 7400 RPM. Don't really have an idea yet where power will start falling off.
This is calculated given that slippage would be about the same.

Allan G.

Probably right on the edge of needing taller gearing at 161-162mph. You have enough engine to run these numbers. Hopefully we will find out.

Nice job..
Thats not easy to do and my hat goes off to you for getting it right.