is this a precision FMIC?

sams86gn

Know someone selling this intercooler and the 2 black pipes. He says it's a precision and made for our cars but I know nothing about them and don't see anything on it that says precision. If it is, what would you say it's worth and would this be good for my car (signature should have my mods). Thanks in advance.

Here's the pics

Attachments

• 1435352918800.jpg
    1435352918800.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 361
  • 1435352929555.jpg
    1435352929555.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 1435352939716.jpg
    1435352939716.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 292
With the mods you have listed...Don't waste your money.
And, no that's not a PTE.

If you can get it at a good price, i wouldn't rule it out. You can grow into it if you plan on doing more mods to your car.

Agreed it's not PTE. But that doesn't mean it's no good.

its a cotton

and i wouldnt even try to run anything more than stock boost on an autozone motor

Being a cotton what would you say it's worth? I do have my original motor I will probably build at some point so I could always put it up until then.

Ok cool. If I can get it for a good deal I will pick it up. One More Question, What power Levels would this benefit and would it be worse than a stock IC on a stock motor?

Here is the smaller one Cotton's sells. This may give you an idea of what the larger one can support HP / performance wise. The price may not be up to date so it would be best to contact them if interested.

Product ID:
FMIC_E
GN1 Intercooler "Extreme" Front Mount
FMIC_E-1.jpg

This is a GN1Performance "EXTREME FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER" for a 1986 or 1987 Buick Grand National, T Type, Turbo T, or GNX 3.8 liter turbo V6. Its custom hand built aluminum front mount intercooler with the bar and plate core. This intercooler comes complete with all the aluminum pipes and hardware needed to put on your car today! The dimensions of this intercoolers core are 24x11x3, and from tank to tank is 30.5 inches in total length featuring 3" inlet and outlets. Tube sizes are all 3 inches in diameter and are mandrel bent aluminum pipes. This intercooler is light weight and good for up to 800hp. This intercooler has no turbo lag.

* Please specify when purchasing what size throttle body and what size your turbo outlet is so we can provide you with the correct hoses.

Email Friend
Price:
$599.00

Last edited:
Here is the smaller one Cotton's sells. This may give you an idea of what the larger one can support HP / performance wise. The price may not be up to date so it would be best to contact them if interested.

Product ID:
FMIC_E
GN1 Intercooler "Extreme" Front Mount
FMIC_E-1.jpg

This is a GN1Performance "EXTREME FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER" for a 1986 or 1987 Buick Grand National, T Type, Turbo T, or GNX 3.8 liter turbo V6. Its custom hand built aluminum front mount intercooler with the bar and plate core. This intercooler comes complete with all the aluminum pipes and hardware needed to put on your car today! The dimensions of this intercoolers core are 24x11x3, and from tank to tank is 30.5 inches in total length featuring 3" inlet and outlets. Tube sizes are all 3 inches in diameter and are mandrel bent aluminum pipes. This intercooler is light weight and good for up to 800hp. This intercooler has no turbo lag.

* Please specify when purchasing what size throttle body and what size your turbo outlet is so we can provide you with the correct hoses.

Email Friend
Price:
$599.00

no ..well hell no not the same or even similar thats a gn1perf china FMIC

the one he has there is a cotton built on spearco core with turbonetic cast elbows

that cotton FMIC would run around 1300 these days but he hasnt built any in a while
you can get the rjc which is similar size for under 900 so not many going to pony up for a hand built cotton with rjc available cheaper
ive sold them at 800 used (with 3" polished pipes/couplers and clamps)
I run one in my 87ttop and murphsters T

Last edited:
Here is the larger one that Cotton sells. Thats listed on their website.

Again the price may not be up to date,so if interested call them.

Product ID:
FMIC_SE
GN1 Intercooler "Super Extreme" Front Mount
FMIC_SE-1.jpg

This is a GN1Performance "SUPER EXTREME FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER" for a 1986 or 1987 Buick Grand National, T Type, Turbo T, or GNX 3.8 liter turbo V6. This SUPER EXTREME model is a custom hand built aluminum front mount intercooler that has a bar and plate core .This intercooler comes complete with all the aluminum pipes and hardware needed to put on your car today! The dimensions of this intercoolers core are 27x17x3.5 Tube sizes are all 3 inches in diameter and are mandrel bent aluminum pipes.

Email Friend
Price:
$699.00

So obviously it's overkill for my car right now, but would it make it any faster or slower if I put it on now? If it will be slower I will just put it up until I build another motor

A good front mount will never slow you down. The potential to make more power comes with it, you just have to tune it to do so.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.

And your cooling system has to be up to the task.

" he hasnt built any in a while "
Yeah Brian (Cotton) still makes them but he doesn't want to build them and leave them on a shelf . He builds them only when a customer orders one. The one pictured is not a Precision and I'm not sure it's a Cotton's either. I'm not saying it's bad, just that I don't know who it is from.

Claude.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. He wants a little too much for me right now but maybe he will come down.