Idle speed?

FlintBuick4Life

I am trying to figure-out what the idle speed is on my engine(NA 3.8 4bbl Edelbrock carb) I have been looking through my Haynes book and it tells you how to adjust the idle speed, but it doesn't tell you what RPM to set it to:mad: I don`t want to set it to high, but when I takeoff hard(brake+gas) it will sputter and it cutoff once.

Also, I still can`t keep oil pressure:mad: cold starts at 60psi, drops as the temp raises and when warm, I have maybe 5psi at idle:eek: I have replaced the oil pump many times and still no luck. I have tried different pressure springs. Any ideas:confused:

Dont worry about the oil pressure. I have 75 at cold idle and like 10 at hot idle. As long as you have oil pumping it doesnt really matter what the pressure is at idle. As long as it isnt like 1 or 0. There isnt enough load at idle and everything has oil in it so your not wearing anything out.

Do your lifters start knocking at around 40psi? Mine start to knock and as the pressure drops, the harder they knock.

Yeah I should have said dont worry about the oil pressure. I would try and get it to a constant 10 at least. How about trying some 20/50 oil or something like that? See if that brings the pressure up any.

Might try to get a new pump cover. If theres scratches in it when its warm it might be letting oil out.

I used 20/50 last summer, that help a tiny bit, but it made it kinda sluggish on takeoff. I just put 10/40 in it yesterday. The pump cover is in good shape, but I wonder if it might be the oil pickup tube? I would check, but I will wait till I redo the exhaust. The exhaust is circled around the oil pan:rolleyes:

Floor pans gone!

I pulled up my carpet yesterday and here are the results:mad:

Drivers side
1000727w.jpg

Passengers side
1000728i.jpg

Just when you think your done, life kicks you in the nuts:rolleyes:

Jase, you need to blue print the timing cover and oil pump at the very least. This is a common issue with Buick V6's. My first engine was replaced because I lost oil pressure and spun a rod. The T Type has the same issue and I'm gonna bet the previous owner didn't check anything when he put the engine in.

I'm sorry about the floors but they can be repaired so all isn't lost. Just takes more time and money than you'd planned on.

Jase, you need to blue print the timing cover and oil pump at the very least. This is a common issue with Buick V6's. My first engine was replaced because I lost oil pressure and spun a rod. The T Type has the same issue and I'm gonna bet the previous owner didn't check anything when he put the engine in.

I'm sorry about the floors but they can be repaired so all isn't lost. Just takes more time and money than you'd planned on

what does blue printing do? i not trying to be rude but i really dont know. what happens it its not in specs? how do you fix it? :confused:

That would be kinda hard to do by myself:biggrin: I will have a friend put it in gear while I adjust it then. Thanks charlie:D

update pics

Here are some update pics:biggrin:

I broke my nice new aluminum alt/ac braket, so I had to put the big heavy steel ones back on:(
1000726p.jpg

1000736.jpg

1000729x.jpg

My stupid exhaust that keeps me from messing with my oil pan:mad:
1000732l.jpg

Nice pics. My old drawthru setup Idle at 550-600rpm's and the original 2bbl NA Idle at 500-550.
None of my cars had a Y pipe like on your '78. Perhaps it's just because your Regal is older. All of my styles the passenger side exhaust manifold had another inlet right next to the only outlet for the whole system, Then the crossover ran behind the oilpan and infront of the flexplate, like the turbo cars. I still have one or two of those NA systems less the cat flange.

That would be kinda hard to do by myself:biggrin: I will have a friend put it in gear while I adjust it then. Thanks charlie:D

That's why the parking brake is there Jase. Set the brake and the car will hold itself in place. Make sure you check the timing at the same time so you can adjust it with the idle.

That's why the parking brake is there Jase. Set the brake and the car will hold itself in place. Make sure you check the timing at the same time so you can adjust it with the idle.

Did that today... had a friend hold the brake. I don`t think my E-brake even works:eek: