IAC at 00 next step

tt455

Here are my readings, what is my next step? I've read a bunch of threads and the link to IAC reset procedure, but when you get to step 6 it does not tell you if the car should be still running or just in the on position? From what I've read I think the car should be off but in the on position and then turn screw in small amounts, wait then should the next step be to start or just read the scan master?
It would be nice if there was a video on this since it comes up so often. To many it's simple but I myself being a 60's early 70's guy it's not. Not that I can't learn but I screwed this up like many before, by thinking I can adjust the idle screw. So trying to find the idle this way I lost my original setting, and now I have hard starting and erratic idle. The car is an 87 turbo t.

With the IAC counts at zero the throttle blade is too far open. With the car warm and running in park reduce the throttle opening until you start to see IAC counts. I'd target low teens on IAC counts in P/N as they will increase when you put the car in drive and load goes up.

Neal

Your BLMs look good it was 126 correct.
and remember you TPS numbers will start going down. Stop around .38-.40 readjust TPS.
It won't happen fast just take your time

With the IAC counts at zero the throttle blade is too far open. With the car warm and running in park reduce the throttle opening until you start to see IAC counts. I'd target low teens on IAC counts in P/N as they will increase when you put the car in drive and load goes up.

Neal

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying to adjust the tps before I adjust the iac screw?

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying to adjust the tps before I adjust the iac screw?
That's what I would do. Get TPS close, engine warm, adjust IAC, then the TPS may change a bit. You'll have to do the dance between the two.

I keep my TPS at .42 & the IAC under 20.

When I put my engine back together doing a search said set your throttle screw to have 1.5 threads showing and adjust your tps according to chip instructions. I did as a starting point and basically it ran great and haven't touched it since...that was 2018.

That was after I cleaned the IAC and replaced the seals on the throttle body.

No. I'd adjust the throttle blade to get the IAC counts where you need them then adjust the TPS. If you do it the other way around you'll have to adjust the TPS twice. Either way it's not a big deal.

Neal

IAC and TPS is like a balancing act. You have to adjust both sort of together, back and forth is the best way to describe it. Usually when I adjust TPS, I keep the bottom screw fairly tight and tap the TPS with a screwdriver to adjust the "nose", the up and down angle at the front of it. I hope that makes sense.

IAC and TPS is like a balancing act. You have to adjust both sort of together, back and forth is the best way to describe it. Usually when I adjust TPS, I keep the bottom screw fairly tight and tap the TPS with a screwdriver to adjust the "nose", the up and down angle at the front of it. I hope that makes sense.
The only problem I may have is to get the car warm and running. The last time I tried she kept backfiring and stalling, and couldn't keep it running.
I will try to get to this by the weekend, and update my results. Thanks to all for your help, and patience. I really do appreciate it.

I looked at your scanmaster, the car is rich. That is what backfiring indicates also. Unplug your ECM power wire for a couple of minutes and let everything reset. It might be a good idea to pull your chip and reseat it also. Sometimes cars get a fault and a reset is the only way forward.

If that works and the car will warm up, get it warm, then shut it down, let it cool and pull the plugs. Try to find a rich cylinder.

Here are my readings, what is my next step? I've read a bunch of threads and the link to IAC reset procedure, but when you get to step 6 it does not tell you if the car should be still running or just in the on position? From what I've read I think the car should be off but in the on position and then turn screw in small amounts, wait then should the next step be to start or just read the scan master?
It would be nice if there was a video on this since it comes up so often. To many it's simple but I myself being a 60's early 70's guy it's not. Not that I can't learn but I screwed this up like many before, by thinking I can adjust the idle screw. So trying to find the idle this way I lost my original setting, and now I have hard starting and erratic idle. The car is an 87 turbo t.

You should be ok, if you adjust IAC & TPS. Takes time. If the IAC shows 00 after car is warmed up, You gotta replace the throttle body seals, if it doesnt show #'s after it's warmed up or for awhile..(check) or the numbers drops to 00. Thats what happened to me. The best thing you can ever do, plus no vacuum leaks from that area. Amazing for $20. I sent mine to the mechanic to install, but whatever, nice job, it;s almost like a rebuild besides the paint.

Last edited:
You should be ok, if you adjust IAC & TPS. Takes time. If the IAC shows 00 after car is warmed up, You gotta replace the throttle body seals, if it doesnt show #'s after it's warmed up or for awhile.. Thats what happened to me. The best thing you can ever do, plus no vacuum leaks from that area. Amazing for $20. I sent mine to the mechanic to install, but whatever, nice job, it;s almost like a rebuild besides the paint.
With the engine off, (TPS)Floor the pedal and adjust to 4.60 WOT or close if you got the Turbotweak chip. Just turning the key with battery on, set it at 42, should be at 44 when the engine is running.

Last edited:
Start with 2 /half threads from the screw. turn quarter turns and wait awhile. I think left is high/ righ is low #'s.

Than tap the tps up or down with screwdriver with the screws almost tight. Too get 44 at idle

Last edited:
The IAC sensor should be alright, when u take it out and replace the gasket with the housing gasket &throttle body gasket. throttle body cleaner. Point it down and spray it.

Last edited:
If you see any oil in the plenum or throttle body, replace your pcv valve/ get a new vacuum block/ check-valves. should be ok. Almost for sure.