How many Turbo Regals or TTAs are still using the original ignition module?

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
Just curious if anyone has an intercooled 109 car and hasn't ever had to replace the ignition module.

My 87 Limited Turbo T with 150k mi and 87 GN with 9,800 mi both have em still, without any issues. I used a coil pack tester on my T just recently, and it didn't skip a beat.

All the 9 sec or faster cars I've worked on that had original ignitions all had original Motorola modules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original module on my '87 Ltd, just replaced the original coil pack in October. Odometer is at 120k

My 34k mile GN still had the original module when I sold it earlier this year. I recently installed a new module and coil pack on the Limited I have now which was already replaced at some point before I got it.

The one on my 87' GN has never been replaced. The coil pack was replaced at 150k miles. Car has 175k on it.

Mine is one more to add, original coil and module at 70k, but hasn't seen more than 17lbs boost in 15 yrs.

Wow. I can understand that a car with less than 80k on the odometer can still have plenty life on an ignition module. Its the cars that have been used a lot and those that have seen higher boost pressures that amaze me by still having their original ignition modules. It makes me wonder what causes them to go out.

I'm pretty sure mine is original, it's the one that came on the car 20 years ago.

This one is mind blowing. If I'm not mistaken I've seen this car run at the GS Nationals. You aren't taking it easy on NOTHING.

I regarded ignition modules like tires. Eventually they will all wear out. Some more quickly than others based on the use and abuse you put them through. This just doesn't seem to be the case. So what is the typical cause of a failed ignition module?:confused:

This one is mind blowing. If I'm not mistaken I've seen this car run at the GS Nationals. You aren't taking it easy on NOTHING.

I regarded ignition modules like tires. Eventually they will all wear out. Some more quickly than others based on the use and abuse you put them through. This just doesn't seem to be the case. So what is the typical cause of a failed ignition module?:confused:
I wonder how many were changed in an effort to fix a problem that didn't get fixed and then not returned to the car or,worse than that,were thrown away.

I almost did Mycar has the original 175 miles and then sat for 8 years back on the road a month ago seems to still be doing the job just fine

Last edited:
Mine has the original....92k on it. I dont drive it much...but when I do, i beat the piss out of it.

I had to replace mine @ 125k,but I do a lot of testing ,wiring,adding electronic doodads etc.
I had to find an original piece off another car to work again.Went through 5 different "new"
oreilly,autozone pieces.

Yes, you have probably seen my car in bowling Green, I've ran it there every year for the last 10 years. I've heard that rpm kills them in short order but I'm not sure if that's true or how much rpm it takes. I spin my motor to 6800-7000, 30+ psi and have been running e85 for 2 years now. Mine has 104,000 miles on it.