How many Turbo Regals or TTAs are still using the original ignition module?

This one is mind blowing. If I'm not mistaken I've seen this car run at the GS Nationals. You aren't taking it easy on NOTHING.

I regarded ignition modules like tires. Eventually they will all wear out. Some more quickly than others based on the use and abuse you put them through. This just doesn't seem to be the case. So what is the typical cause of a failed ignition module?:confused:
There's nothing to really "wear out". It's a solid state component. Heat is the biggest problem. The leads can get hot and melt through the epoxy and short the module. Many were replaced erroneously over the years. Noting has comparatively proven the test of time and durability of the factory ignition in any car like the 2nd design of the type one CCCI. It's the one thing on the car that if working to its potential will work on solid 8 sec car with no problem. Factory modules are not common these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always found that bad grounds can do damage to any electrical component , especially relays and modules

I have always found that bad grounds can do damage to any electrical component , especially relays and modules
It's pretty much standard to replace both battery cables on almost every car that comes through if they look suspect in any way. Also verifying the module is properly grounded to the engine. I've seen several loose. Most of the factory fasteners have been removed and the replacements leave room for poor grounding.

There's nothing to really "wear out". It's a solid state component. Heat is the biggest problem. The leads can get hot and melt through the epoxy and short the module. Many were replaced erroneously over the years. Noting has comparatively proven the test of time and durability of the factory ignition in any car like the 2nd design of the type one CCCI. It's the one thing on the car that if working to its potential will work on solid 8 sec car with no problem. Factory modules are not common these days

"Wear out" was a figurative term in my statement. I've had one that melted the epoxy to goo. That is what I was comparing to wearing out. I was under the ASSUMPTION that eventually the underhood temps over time would cause them to fail. I was also under the impression that high boost pressures that puts more stress on the ignition to deliver a spark somehow played a part in module failure. BUT Cars that I have seen making single digit 1/4 mile passes along with cars that have been driven over 150k miles revealing that the original ignition module is still in place kinda blows those theories out of the water.

The module has a ton going on inside it. They look like a mini ecm inside. That being said I think we have to rely on the original build quality. Say one of the solder traces a too close to something else or the solder is a tad thin somewhere. Stuff like that can mean all the difference 30 years later, holy shit they turned 30! Happy birthday 1986 turbo Buick!

Mine was original until I installed the TR6 , coil and module are stored

Bryan

9 times out of 10 a bad module is a misdiagnosis.

I've never thrown them out. The OEM original one was gooey inside and I kept it. I probably went through 3 parts store modules before I got the NOS4GN module from Turbo6. I can't say my issue was misdiagnosed though because once the NOS4GN unit was in place my car quit missing.