how about a supra motor in a GN?

mt893_12.jpg

MotorTrend-Feb-95-4.jpg

Here you go...

Bob

Originally posted by rtviper
Having a hand growing out of your forehead is also unique but not necessarily a desirable thing:) The response that others are assholes because they dont see any merit in bastardising a gn for no reason other then to be different is the typical response of the F and F groupies. Their just isnt any advantage to the swap but its your money to do with what you want. If you cant handle the opinions from those you ask then dont ask. Easy deal. Just remember many people did not get caught up in the F and F fairy tale so dont get upset if some of us look at the idea as foolish

I like the fact that because I am for swapping a supra motor into at least ONE turbo regal body in the entire world, not saying mass exodus from the buick motors, I'm somehow an F&F idiot ricer. I can appreciate a fast car and a well-built motor, and let me tell you, those japs did something right with that 2JZ. You don't see people swapping buick motors into their supras for a reason, the supra motor has years of experience, plus JAPANESE people who go to school 300 days a year and are more technically advanced than us... that's why their little economy motors last 300,000 miles at the same price imported as the old crappy plymouth acclaims and dodge shadows and geo metros and every other commuter car USA failed at making.

Saying a supra motor swapped into a regal is a waste of time, money, and the TR namesake is kind of stupid... it would make us no better than the mullet camaro-whores and the F&F wannabes driving mustangs and spouting off about how much greater american cars are than imports, just because we have lots of cylinders. I saw a guy in the cars for sale section selling his stage II 8 second buick for like $20k, and he had put $40k into getting it to that point. Most of that was probably motor work, while the supra folks put $15k into their motor and spend another $50k trying to keep their tires from spinning off the car. Put the best of both worlds together, and what do you have? A very interesting, very mean street machine. a Buick sleeper with an imported racing motor in it. If you have such a problem with that, why don't you go over to the SHO Forums and complain about how Ford put a Yamaha engine in those cars?

I also like how you try to justify why it's ok that chris chow put a chevy motor in his buick. Just because it screamed down the track in 8.51 seconds? What do you think a thousand horsepower supra motor would do when it could actually find some pavement to hold on to for a change? What would you say then? "Oh well, its still a waste of a good buick." Ridiculous.

There is a reason people build up their GNs... to make them fast. You say you have a problem soiling GNs when there are so few of them... so why don't you go bitch at every guy that bores his block out to 4.1L or gets a different turbo or transmission? Some people choose to keep their TRs in the garage and wipe them down with a diaper every day and smile at the triple-digit mile count on the odometer... the others choose to see how fast they can rocket theirs down the track. THAT's the reason these cars are so valuable.

Theres plenty of supras that can run in the mid 10's to mid 9's with stock bottom end the problem is that they r too busy stomping on them silly corvett owners and vipers because they think that supras r slow just cuz their rice. theres a guy here in vegas with a 750hp supra auto running 9.8 all day long but he only goes maybe once a year when he feels like it. if i were too race him in my gn or even a 10sec gn he would slotter me.:eek: :)

oh and 13 g's for a built 2jzgte i guess your talking about the titans race ready motor, but you can build one yourself for way less.but all in all i still love my gn and the supra ass well :) :D

You guys would have loved to see this 300zx that was at the track the other nite. The guy wants to put all the rice he can on it just to make it a total rice wagon so the American iron guys would hate it. The car has the standard wing and all the tacky rice he can hang on it. Did i mention it has a SBC with a 88 turbo and runs 140+ in the 1/4 low 10,s on a soft launch and street tires:D

Originally posted by JordanCVP
There is a reason people build up their GNs... to make them fast.

There's something finally in this post that I think we can ALL agree on. Sure, there are OBVIOUSLY pros and cons to doing a swap like this. I personally would not, even if I had $1M to blow. If somebody does, hell, post some pix, it'd be interesting (to say the least) to see it. I just think the whole concept of swapping OUT the GN motor is silly. Ours is the motor that people swap INto their cars. I think it's our cars' major strength. Sure they launch like a mo-fo as well, due to an awesome drivetrain, but you can find MUCH lighter AWD cars that would be more than happy to receive a Supra engine.

Plus anything imported is Rice :p

JUST KIDDING. I hope to have a 3rd Gen Rex sometime soon (Supra would be ideal, but they're a little pricey for me).

Jordan I dont see where anyone called you a ricer f and f idiot but the more you rant the more the shoe may fit. The reason you dont see a buick 3.8 in a supra is the same reason you dont see supra motors in a buick gn duhhh. Thats what we have been trying to tell you. Their is no advanrage to all the work to do so. As regards to chows car he was smart enough not to come in here and ask what does everyone think about the swap.Many would have said the same thing do it to a regular regal not a GN.Try to grasp that idea . Now if he is going to do it anyhow the swap makes much more sense then the supra swap as he is putting in a motor with much more power potential then any 3.8 or supra motor, Are you getting the concept yet? The supra motor has no more power potential then a buick v6. Their is a company out their I believe its ANS that has a pic of a buick v6 in their catalog that has 1700 hp. Not 1000 or 1100 but 1700 hp. And I gues with all their larger tech. knowledge they cant build a car that will hook up without 50k into the suspension? WTF? Thats your estimate by the way in case you forget. By the way I wil assure you supras do not spend their time beating vipers and vetts unless they are real selective. I think lingenfelter has a nice 8 sec vette you can buy and it hooks up with irs and auto tranny

jordan also will you show me a supra with 15k into the motor running mid 8s please. I will send a copy to all the supra racers like Vinney 10 and Rado who have spent 100s of thousands over the last 10 years trying to do just that? Hmmmm maybe the F and F idiot logo isnt too far fetched. No offense :)

I was going to stay out of this but I gotta say something. I agree in the opinion that to put a supra motor in a TR is wrong. The cars are collectables and very rare. There was only 1035 of mine ever produced so why ruin it with a jap motor. In a non TR car its a different idea but it might work and I wouldn't attempt but it wouldn't bother me.

Jordan, how can talk about TR's when you don't even know what its like to own one. Go buy one and then tell me how quick your putting a supra motor in. If you don't realize the value of these cars you shouldn't even be talking about them. Theres a huge difference between swapping a turbo and putting a jap motor in. Go spend your weekends washing and waxing your own GN or TR and being proud of what you've done to the car and know its a wonderful example of a modern muscle car and its getting more rare by the day then go buy a supra motor and see how quick you want to do a swap.

A friend of mine has a 2JZ in a 87 Rx7. The car has a bone stock motor, big turbo, ford 9inch rear, ladder bars, jerico, and some other misc things. His car went high 9's. Dynoed 640 something HP. Car is badass!! heavy as hell too he has a wide body kit which ways a ton.

He has had the same motor in his car for 2 1/2 years which took tons of abuse.

badazz now thats an ok swap unless you talk with the rx7 guys who get real upset with basterdising their fave cars also. My only contention with your assessment of the swap is the part about a bone stock motor with 600 plus hp. I presume you wanted to say a stock block. Most people know they do not put out 600 plus bone stock. Their is a few 3.8s in rx7s also and they run very quick too.

I saw an rx-7 a few nights ago with a z06 motor in it. Still had a factory hood on it and everything. Real good idea for a sleeper. I'd picked a better motor like the 3.8 personally

Turbosam here is you chance to live your dream. In the cars for sale room their is a built supra for trade on a buick gn or t- regal.

I can't believe this post is still going on. If you enjoy getting people worked up then maybe swapping a Supra motor in a TR is for you. Just remember, if you can't smoke a TR with similar $$ invested in it you will just look foolish. Personally, I think if you're going to bother dropping a high HP motor in a different car, it should be something that is not fast in the first place.

If I was to drop a Supra motor in another car, it would either be a 2nd or 3rd gen Supra, a 280Z, or a Lexus 300 series. Just my O2's worth.

I kind of resent the implication that the mere fact a 2JZ motor is japanese that it is better, since japanese engineers are allegedly smarter. *cough* Lots of cool engineering feats have been American. Wright brothers anyone? Sure the atomic bomb was spearheaded by a what, Austrian? But quite a few of the engineers were American. Then there's the production line, and basically the pioneering of cars in general. Um... space shuttle. Who was it that had one first, us or Japan? Who has been to the moon? I admit the 2JZ is a nice motor. The LC2 is too. It might not even be as nice as the 2JZ stock for stock. Stage block buicks definitely have more potential than a 2JZ though. In my opinion, take some garden variety regal with a stupid v8 and go to town. Tell us how you do. I'm guessing the swap would cost you considerably more than you're expecting though... motor and tranny mounts, custom driveshaft... tons of stuff needs to be done. Wiring would probably be a nightmare. I'd be quite happy if you actually did it though since there would be less bench racer/dreamer out there. I'd be happier if you threw an RB26DETT in something though. I'm just not a toyota/honda fan, mazda is ok. nissan gets me wet down there.

Oh jastrckl,

Just got a call from the body shop! Since they can't get your turbo and intercooler problem straight they just decided to put a Supra motor in your car instead! :p

Just a JOKE!

Yes the 2jz motor is a nice motor. Call me when they use those motors in a racing series like the busch grand national series where the normal asperated buick v6 ran or when they set the record at the indy 500 like the buick v6 motor did in 1992. I am still waiting for someone to go into the supra chat room and ask for opinions on a 3.8 conversion into a supra. Any takers :) I am sure those guys will be much more appreciative of a great motor like the 3.8 and its potential in thier supras then we were with this thread.

Just remember many people did not get caught up in the F and F fairy tale so dont get upset if some of us look at the idea as foolish

I'm pretty sure I get the general idea of what you meant by that.

With that aside, I never said I wanted to swap a supra motor in MY GN... I would just like to see it done by some sap with three GNs in his garage and a lot of money to spare. And yes, I don't have a GN, do you think I want to keep this POS Ford all my life? I've been trying to sell it for months, I just keep getting idiots that set up an appointment to look at it, never come, and never call me back. I buy and sell these cars SOLELY so that I can scrape enough money up to get a decent clean GN with a security system, a decent sound system, and enough mods to run 11s (and I'll be happy)... let me tell you, with college coming up, the income rate is going to get pretty slow, especially considering I pay for EVERYTHING on my car, including $160 a month for liability insurance (two wrecks and no tickets on the record... lucky they don't know about my 9 citations in keller)

So, before that you tell me I'm a wannabe buick driver, maybe you should think about how lucky it is that I'm not another pour lost soul that dreams of getting a civic EX and putting a tasteless body kit and some indiglo gauges in it. I know the potential of these cars, and owning one has been in my thoughts for over a year now as I work my little **** job and try to turn these cars around to make some money.

Originally posted by rtviper
badazz now thats an ok swap unless you talk with the rx7 guys who get real upset with basterdising their fave cars also. My only contention with your assessment of the swap is the part about a bone stock motor with 600 plus hp. I presume you wanted to say a stock block. Most people know they do not put out 600 plus bone stock. Their is a few 3.8s in rx7s also and they run very quick too.

Internals of the motor have never been touched. Im 99% that the head is stock too.

I say this in all the threads I see like these....

Why go out of your way to take a car that COST good money to do a swap? As mentioned take a normal Regal and do the swap... Fiberglass hood, rear spoiler, black paint, and fresh interior you got it made!

"Yeah, but I already have a GN"
Sell it. Buy a Regal and with the left over money make it look the way you want. Not many will care unless you do such a good job they think it IS a GN... but then whats the point?

"The point is I like how the Buick looks"
Really? You spent all that extra money for a GN or TR just for a Hood and a few other parts? lol.

Even DEAD GN's or TR's sell for more than plain Regals - that run. With 1,000HP yer gonna need to replace everything anyway GN or Plain Regal... save some money and use the Regal.

This way more folks are happy. 'Course if you make it LOOK like a GN you will still have trouble in the Buick community.

I own my GN cuz its a Buick which IMO seperates me from those that have one cuz its "cool" or saw it on a magazine cover in HS. Same for the GS... I was Buick before it was cool! Are you?

Shawn