Got a carb turbo torn apart and

I almost put the rear end in on Sunday but I woke up and it was -25. Fahrenheit, not that wimpy Celsius system! It was a high of -4 or something. Didnt feel like running the heater for 3 hours before the garage was almost warm enough to work in. Then I looked at my Statics homework and spent 5 hours on that and got a 70%. Woo.

Needed to start the air compressor to fill up one of my tires this morning before I drove back up to school and the compressor barely even spun over.

The only thing the cold is good for is keeping the snakes and killer bees out. Its sorta keeping the firebird engine together too. It locked up a roller lifter or something and started rattling really bad a few weeks ago and running bad. Unplugged the knock sensors since the valvetrain noise was so bad it was pulling a ton of timing out. It runs better but has a miss and is down on power but its rattling a lot less. Cam lobe must be gone. Changed oil a month ago before it even started rattling and there was steel shards in the filter. I cant imagine how bad it is now.

So what im getting at is the high temps of under 10 is keeping the oil viscous enough to keep enough oil in the bottom end to not completely cause catastrophic failure. Im not going to party in Florida for spring break, im rebuilding the firebird engine. :eek: Intense S2X blower cam, ported heads, rering the block and bearing the block if useable, port heads, headers, PTC 3400 stall (if it stays out of the cutlass) 60lb injectors, billet fuel rails, other stuff. I think going to florida would be cheaper! However considerably less fun. Im too white to sit on a beach.

Random thoughts.....

Cars back on all 4 wheels. Took it for a short drive but the roads were sticky and covered in snow so I couldnt get into the boost at all. At 55MPH the Speedo reads 75 or something spins at 2700 so I need to look into getting the 2004R in it. Its has a slight hum on decel but its hard to tell since I only drove it 3 miles at only 40. Got into the boost once and spun hard even on non snow covered roads. Have to wait until the roads are better to really know.
picture027_zps9151bc4a.jpg

So now it waits until spring!
picture028_zps4b7060dc.jpg

Glad to see it done can not wait to see what its like on dry pavemant, Loved my gear swap should have done it for the first mod. Wait til your first launch now you can use all your other mods, in overdrive mine pulls 2000 at 60

Good news is that is back running. Put 20 miles on it or so and it runs good. Worried that it would be loud and undriveable because the RPM's would be too high but its perfectly fine. Even at 3000ish RPM its nice and quiet at 60mph. Am not driving it on the interstate by any means but 60 is fine. Its still more comfortable and quiet than the fireturd. Getting the 2004R in soon.

There is no difference below 15mph. Still as slow and laggy as before. From a 20MPH roll and up it is a lot better. Spool is faster and it hits a lot harder. Still couldnt spin tires if I tried. No power at all below 3PSI. The instant it gets past that "wall" it becomes a different animal.

The other news is that regardless of where the wastegate is it boosts 10PSI. Motor actually spins now. At 12-13psi it surges pretty bad. It feels like its fluctuating 50HP. Its not knocking at all, 89 and alky in 40 degree air with the BTM turned to .5 degrees. Im not sure if Im blowing out the spark, the distributor cant spin that fast and keep up or maybe im running out of fuel. Ive also got an accelerator pump issue. Hits a bad flatspot half the time when I stomp on it. Once it spools up its nice and smooth until that 12PSI mark and fluctuates power at 13. It holds pressure fine, doesnt sound like its missing, sounds great, but it just doesnt feel like its making constant power. I havnt been able to really diagnose it yet.

Hey,
Charlie told me about a boost controller, grainger valve, a couple years ago and fixed the bouncy boost and surging .

later Kevin

You could be freezing the intke charge at40 degrees with the alky, my motor freaks out if the water is disconnected from the plenumMid 30s to low 40s add in the winchill factor of our speed its probably alot colder than 40 and alky is cold any way

Even with -30 window washer fluid? Only way I could think is that the mist becomes a heterogeneous mixture and the water freezes. But yeah, I was hitting 15PSI with 89 and alky with no knock. Probably run 20psi with no knock, 91, and cold air. :eek:

LMAO Just stating mycar freezes up pretty easy do not think alky might be frosting things up.Put inthe 200 with about 2400 stall keep your lockup between the steeper 1st and 2nd and higher stall it should rock. Drill the waste gate puck a little bigger that should help your boost creep some what glad you got it rolling and one other thing Holleys are so easy to tune just change the squirter nozzles to the ones you want chage the acc pump cams or even go form a 30 to50cc pump to componsate for the distance the carb is away from the motor .

Ive got a vacuum secondary Holley 750DP sitting in the garage so if I can get another plenum that I can redrill for the bolt pattern, or just get a spreadbore off ebay. 650 spreadbores are $75 all day. Theres 2 parts one there now I could get for $15 and a $40 rebuild kit and Id be rocking. E85 anyone?????

The accelerator pump is just a bit too small I think. Bigger cam and big AR exhaust side just needs a lot of fuel to get the engine fueled.

Regardless, ive got 200 miles on it and its just nice to drive. Back to DD use

picture024_zpsdc843bba.jpg