Got a carb turbo torn apart and

No it isn't cool, but these things happen. I have rear ended a parked truck going 50+ miles an hour. The details aren't prettty. I'm just glad there were no injuries. I hope you weren't messing around when this happened.

No I wasnt messing around.

I was going to go to go farming and theres this wierd thing with the MAF sensor where when it runs fine and out of nowhere it stumbles, runs about 400 RPM, surges and dies. It only happens at a 60MPH on prolonged constant RPM's in 4th gear. I can pop it into nuetral and by the time I coast to a stop it usually solves itself and runs normal. It happens on and off, usually only once per hour trip or so. This happened 3 times before I got 10 miles out of town so I got mad and turned around. Got half way back to town and it failed for the 4th time. Coast to a stop, let it find itself, keep driving. I was driving into town and glanced over and thought I heard the engine fumble. Look at the tach and it was fine. Looked up and there was a truck in the middle of the road turning left. Stomped on the brakes and turned right but I didnt stop in time. Hit it going maybe 15 its just that I got under the bumper. Theres no way to get on the road for 1/8 mile and he wasnt in front of me at that road so I really didnt know there was a truck infront of me.

Wrong place, wrong time. No ticket just dumb un-luck. I dont get injured, I just get unlucky with vehicles.

Got a 2004R now. Long story but I got it for $60 and it might be great or it might be shot. Dont know. It sat under teh guy I got it from's house for a few years.

Its a BY and has an inch of crap in it. It doesnt coorelate to any trans decode tags out there from what I see. I am going to clean it off, put a new filter in it, get a crossmember, weld the frame extention on and hope it works.

picture-1381.jpg

picture-1382.jpg

That dons'e look like a 2004R to me. Can you get a little better pic of it Jacob? BTW, did you get my PM?

does the pan look like the state of IL? that's how i can tell if its a 200r4. yes, i know its dumb but it works for me.

Yeah its a 200R4. Its got the dual belhousing and the non removable tailshaft. I dont know what other trans it could be. Plus the guy I bought it from knew what it was.

Yes Charlie, I got it.

Nice and clean. It has a BY6 or BYG valvebody. Dont know what that is but it wasnt overly dirty inside. Im going it rebuild it anyways.

picture-1384.jpg

Been a LONG time since I updated this. I put a set of 84/85 GN manifolds on this winter and built a stainless two piece down pipe. It hits 9 PSI now and Ive turned the wastegate half a turn so it should be like 7.5 or so. Cam, ported heads, good filter, good exhaust and tubular headers will make an 80 turbo boost creep like crazy. This is with the BTM turned to 1.5 degrees/pound so im taking almost 15 degrees of timing out on the top end! Gotta throw some 91 in and turn it way down.

I also am swapping to 3.42's and a posi in the next few weeks. 200R4 is going to get a filter and go back in the car since Ive been told its in good shape. Im also going to get either a stock D5 GN converter or something higher stall. Been busy painting Dad's 73 IH pickup so ive been not working on too much more.

I am daily driving the cutlass again though. :)

picture014.jpg

picture013.jpg

Been a LONG time since I updated this. I put a set of 84/85 GN manifolds on this winter and built a stainless two piece down pipe. It hits 9 PSI now and Ive turned the wastegate half a turn so it should be like 7.5 or so. Cam, ported heads, good filter, good exhaust and tubular headers will make an 80 turbo boost creep like crazy. This is with the BTM turned to 1.5 degrees/pound so im taking almost 15 degrees of timing out on the top end! Gotta throw some 91 in and turn it way down.

I also am swapping to 3.42's and a posi in the next few weeks. 200R4 is going to get a filter and go back in the car since Ive been told its in good shape. Im also going to get either a stock D5 GN converter or something higher stall. Been busy painting Dad's 73 IH pickup so ive been not working on too much more.

I am daily driving the cutlass again though. :)

picture014.jpg

picture013.jpg
lets see some pics of the 73.
glad to see your ride is doing well. the 85 ha headers do make a difference.

Do yourself a favor and make a new uppipe in 2.25". It will also help the turbo spool a little faster.:)

Heres a picture of the 73. Its all blocked out and needs another shot of primer on the drivers door as it had a ton of bondo and the person that did it didnt block it out very good so I sanded through my 2K primer sealer. Otherwise the interior is almost done, rust has been fixed, floors repaired and bodywork done. Its going to be two-tone blue bottom with yellow roof. Its the stock color scheme. Its also getting a rebuilt IH 345 V8 with a mild cam.

picture073.jpg

picture072.jpg

Took a group shot picture today. The local self serve car wash was being generous and gave me 5 minutes for a quarter so I washed the Jeep, Service truck, Cutlass and Fbird.

picture065.jpg

picture062.jpg

picture060.jpg

picture066.jpg

Heres a pic of what the truck looked like before we tore it apart.
Picture578-1.jpg

And the service truck since Im in a picture taking mood
picture075-1.jpg

i love the pic of your car with the f bird. That truck is sweet! i always wanted a old pick up truck. if i had that, i would do white with pearl mixed into the clear, nothing too bold just a litle color change...

so, i have to ask what color are you going to paint it?

Pickup will be dark blue bottom with a yellow roof and rear part of the cab. Yellow and blue seems like a wierd combination but its the original color combination and im all for painting vehicles in the same color they rolled off the factory in.

Pickup will be dark blue bottom with a yellow roof and rear part of the cab. Yellow and blue seems like a wierd combination but its the original color combination and im all for painting vehicles in the same color they rolled off the factory in.
me too some times.
stay tune... soon i will post in the bs thread of my next project. ( its not a buick sorry)

Well ever since I started driving this car its gone through a lot of ATF. Its always leaked but it was going through 2 quarts every few hundred miles. Took it for a drive and it belched smoke out the exhaust. Ended up looking at the modulator hookup at the plenum and saw that it was oily. Hooked my hand vacuum pump up and it pulled trans fulid out. So hopefully when that gets replaced my soft trans shifts will be hardened up a bit until I get the 200R4 in.

Threw on a new modulator and its all better now. Old one was full of fluid. Also firmed up 1-2 shift. Found out it shifts into 2nd at 55 MPH WOT and 75MPH WOT. These gears gotta go!

I washed the car off and ran to DQ and had a guy tell me he had 2 extra center caps so ive got a complete set now. Just contemplating to make the centers turbo 6's or olds rockets. Opinions? Im leaning toward rockets but its a 51%-49% split.

picture022.jpg