Before Black Connecting Rod Bolts and Main Cap Bolts sources?

81LimitedT

So, besides ARP, does anyone have a less-expensive source of Torque to yield Main Cap Bolts and Connecting rod bolts? GM has discontinued them. We're working with an 85 231 Block and Main caps, 80 Turbo rods and pistons.
Doing a stock level rebuild on a 79/80 Draw Thru Turbo Buick and I've found FelPro Head bolts. My son is working on a super tight budget and we need replacement torque to yield bolts. He can't justify $200 for 20 bolts in his current budget as we're tapped out on what we can front him in this build at this point (I went thru $3K in parts and rental cars over 6 weeks this fall with our 3 daily Drivers) Any suggestions and advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!

BTW- Grandpop's SS in the background in his shop. NOT ours, as we're working in the driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_6717.jpg
    IMG_6717.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
You can reuse the factory main cap bolts and rod bolts. The head bolts are torque to yield and can't be reused.

Thank you WE2Regal! I was not aware only the head bolts were torque to yield!! First time rebuilding a motor in 30+ years, solo, without my father's experienced & watchful eye over my shoulder. Guess I was being too cautious.

The Fel Pro head bolts should have come with thread sealer already on them. Just double check the lengths against the factory bolts to make sure you got the right ones.

You cannot use the 85 balancer or flywheel with the 78-80 rods for balance issues. If there is a turbo crank present personally I would shelf it for the next build and use the 85 NA crank- it will be more than strong enough for a draw thru setup.

You cannot use the 85 balancer or flywheel with the 78-80 rods for balance issues. If there is a turbo crank present personally I would shelf it for the next build and use the 85 NA crank- it will be more than strong enough for a draw thru setup.
I have both cranks and balancers for the 85 and 80 motors. Not sure what the Flywheel should be matched with- How do I tell which it is compatible with?

According to current industry standards, TTY head bolts may be reused once. When reusing them, clean and apply a dab of yellow paint to the head to indicate they were reused before, so the next installer knows not to reuse them again.
TIMINATOR