Got a carb turbo torn apart and

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Got a few questions. I bought a cutlass a few weeks back and it needed a new motor. I ended up finding a 3.8 cabed setup out of an 80 monte carlo pretty cheep. Had AC pump, alternator, power steering pump ect. Almost everything. Owner said it had a knock so I tore it apart and it turns out the bottom end is scorred up. Must have ran out of oil or somthing. All the rods berrings are shot and so is the crank. Sending out the block and rods and crank to the machine shop in the next week. So while it's at the machine shop Im going to order a few parts for it. I'm just building my HS car so I wont be needing a crazy amount of power or anything but would like to be able to drive it everyday. Don't need anymore than 275HP and wont be drag racing with it.

So getting to the point
1-What parts are out there to up the performance but not sacrafice too much MPG or streetablity?
2-Are there things that need to be upgraded due to problems? Don't have a huge budget but if theres an upgrade that can be done and its worth it I wont hesitate.
3-I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust too. I read that flowmasters arent good for boost so what do you recomend?

Thanks for the help, don't really have much turbo experience.

Congrats

Got a few questions. I bought a cutlass a few weeks back and it needed a new motor. I ended up finding a 3.8 cabed setup out of an 80 monte carlo pretty cheep. Had AC pump, alternator, power steering pump ect. Almost everything. Owner said it had a knock so I tore it apart and it turns out the bottom end is scorred up. Must have ran out of oil or somthing. All the rods berrings are shot and so is the crank. Sending out the block and rods and crank to the machine shop in the next week. So while it's at the machine shop Im going to order a few parts for it. I'm just building my HS car so I wont be needing a crazy amount of power or anything but would like to be able to drive it everyday. Don't need anymore than 275HP and wont be drag racing with it.

So getting to the point
1-What parts are out there to up the performance but not sacrafice too much MPG or streetablity?
2-Are there things that need to be upgraded due to problems? Don't have a huge budget but if theres an upgrade that can be done and its worth it I wont hesitate.
3-I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust too. I read that flowmasters arent good for boost so what do you recomend?

Thanks for the help, don't really have much turbo experience.

OK. Now that you have entered the insanity start reading and don't stop. Check out Lilspans post on what he's doing with his car and look at mine on all turbos are not created equal. Go to Rich's site before black and check out gn/ttype as well. Do Earlbrowns timing cover mods for oil presure and while the heads are at the shop have the guides cut down for more lift clearance. Quite a few things can be done but you need to read a LOT and ask questions. We don't mind answering them but sometimes we're slow to respond. Be patient and decide what you want to do and write it down. Decide on a buget and TRY to stick to it. It will be hard but you can do it if you shop carefully. Make sure your turbo doesn't have play in it but if it does it can be rebuilt fairly inexpensivly. Start doing searches in ALL of the sections of the board and don't feel stupid. We're all here to learn and help each other. Welcome aboard and keep us in the loop so to speak,

Ive done some reading today and have a better idea about these motors. Thanks for the advice. Im for sure going to get a GN cam. I don't think I would but do I need the lifter guides cut down with a stock 86-87 GN cam?
I was advised to not get replacment crank or rods because there was a reason buick upgraded them soon thereafter. Is that true or only applicable to high performance?
The ESC box is not in my hands and is probably still on the 80 monte this motor came out of. I know they are expensive but is it worth bugging the guy I bought it from to get it or should I get a new one? Will a new one work better than an old one?
I will most likely be running E-85 in this car due to the ease of buying it here. Is there anything different or special for these cars you need? I couldnt find much info on carb setups on the other forum.

Ive done some reading today and have a better idea about these motors. Thanks for the advice. Im for sure going to get a GN cam. I don't think I would but do I need the lifter guides cut down with a stock 86-87 GN cam?
I was advised to not get replacment crank or rods because there was a reason buick upgraded them soon thereafter. Is that true or only applicable to high performance?
The ESC box is not in my hands and is probably still on the 80 monte this motor came out of. I know they are expensive but is it worth bugging the guy I bought it from to get it or should I get a new one? Will a new one work better than an old one?
I will most likely be running E-85 in this car due to the ease of buying it here. Is there anything different or special for these cars you need? I couldnt find much info on carb setups on the other forum.

LOL I forgot your green.:D Not the lifter bosses but the valve guides. Ask LilSpann about the cam he got. A little bigger than the factory cam and He got it for cheap. If you get a replacement crank there's no garantee what grind it will be and may have been ground under sized to the max. If your crank is salvagible use it first. The turbo crank is different than the NA. The esc isn't available any more so you need to get the one off the carlo. The only other option is to get an MSD 6AL box and add a BTM unit to it. Pricey but it works well. Since you're REALLY green take your time. As far as E-85 you're not allowed to buy it. It's illegal to purchase unless you have a car specifically made for it and since you're running a carb it might cause corosion issues. Have you made your list yet? If you hve put it up so all of us can see it and might be able to help some.

As far as E-85 you're not allowed to buy it. It's illegal to purchase unless you have a car specifically made for it and since you're running a carb it might cause corosion issues. .

What?????????????? Where did you hear that charlie? does that apply to all states? Ive had been buying it (when it was available) and using it without anybody saying anything?

have I been doing a bad thing?

LOL

A.j.

Doh! Guess thats a new person for you! I have yet to make a list for sure. When I get the block to the machine shop back I will have to find out whats good and then start a list.
Illegal to buy E-85 for a non E85 car??? Never heard that. Even if thats true I doubt it would be inforced here.
Hope to get the motor transplant by august so I got plenty of time.

I was reading in the E-85 section one night and found out myself. I don't have the thread saved but the original law that put it on the market is clear. The stations are suposed to regulate it and if they get caught selling it to non flex fuel cars it's suposed to be a 10K fine. I did save the flex fuel emblem info though. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85-technical-forum/261625-flex-fuel-emblem.html Put it on your car and PRESTO, no problem. lol

I was reading in the E-85 section one night and found out myself. I don't have the thread saved but the original law that put it on the market is clear. The stations are suposed to regulate it and if they get caught selling it to non flex fuel cars it's suposed to be a 10K fine. I did save the flex fuel emblem info though. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85-technical-forum/261625-flex-fuel-emblem.html Put it on your car and PRESTO, no problem. lol

Hmm...... well looks like i'll go peel one off of a Gov vehicle. LOL

That really scared me....... I just ordered my e85 carb last week! when I read that my heart hit the floor. but you have found the answer already!

Sorry to hijack MNCarbTurbo

Lilspann got his cam from PAW (SSI is the grind company) and there decent, I have used them many times before with great results.

Looking in my PAW catalog, I show a rebuild kit for a 3.8 with cast pistons, recon rods and crank for 650.00........ not a bad deal really.
Theres lots of options. Keep us posted.

A.j.

...As far as E-85 you're not allowed to buy it. It's illegal to purchase unless you have a car specifically made for it and since you're running a carb it might cause corosion issues....

This may be a state issue. It's not apllicable in my state, (although we only have less than a handful in the entire state). It's not corrosion issues he will run into. It's the internal rubber parts that may not last long in the carb, fuel lines and pump. You hve to use Viton rubber. From what I gathered only Holley is making after-market Viton rubber parts for thier Carbs.

Aluminum needs a type of coating to prevent corrosion from alcohol which will take place only after a long period of time.

Thanks for the info on the corrosion issue Freddie but the law is federal believe it or not. I did some really intensive reading and searching in the E-85 section this week end. I couldn't believe they woud do something so stupid but what can you say, right? The emblem idea was something I intend to use myself so I saved it but didn't think about saving the thread with the law issue. It even has a link to the law.

Timing cover mods for you.
www. turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/39169-how-build-front-cover-oil-pump.html

Thanks for the help so far. This weekend is sopposed to be in the 30's so I might actually be able to do some work :eek: !
I have scrapped the GN cam idea I think. I guess HP is tuning and not parts with these motors. I for sure need a new crossover tube and down pipe. The old cossover got dented up getting took out or something and the down tube had a bushel of wheat jammed in it from mice! Plus its not mandrel bent and it all dented up. I read up about some knock guages. Is there a knock guage available for my non ECM motor?

Heres my list so far

Need~
Down pipe
Crossover pipe
Boost guage
New water pump
Assorted vacuum lines

Want upgrades~
K&N cone filter

Questionable upgrades~
Drivers side poly motor mount
Maybe a GN cam, Ive went 180 on it

So if that is in fact illegal to fill E85 in a non E85 motor I will deffinitly be breaking that law! :biggrin: Its cheep, high octane, and my uncle (a farmer) will love me! Ill do as much upgrades to my quad carb as I can and ill call it good. Ive heard a lot about ethanol eating away at rubber but am still not sold on it. Even if it does I'd much rather eat away the rubber stuff once every few years than pay 30 cents more per gallon.

The best trick I found was a 50/50 mix with 93 octain. It gives you roughly 105-107 octain eqivilent. Use 2 seperate 5 gal tanks to fill up and then put it in the tank. If they don't know what your doing it not illegal, Right? lol

.....the law is federal believe it or not. I did some really intensive reading and searching in the E-85 section this week end. I couldn't believe they woud do something so stupid but what can you say, right........

Lol.:biggrin: It's unenforceble. There are many after-market kits available so one can make the E85 conversion, so what are they gonna use for verification? A federal stamp? A certification sticker? You're right, it's a mighty stupid law.

When I went to the E85 station here in florida I just pulled up to the pump and filled her up. No questions asked, no guys in black suits and dark glasses hanging around eyeballing.

But I won't be surprised with the current Presidential administration. Would you believe they actually seriously considered an additional tax levied on all American citizens by the miles used on a personal vehicle?

BE AFRAID....BE VERY AFRAID! :(

Ive heard a lot about ethanol eating away at rubber but am still not sold on it. Even if it does I'd much rather eat away the rubber stuff once every few years than pay 30 cents more per gallon.

It will eat away the rubber eventually. Back in the 70's I was a professional mechanic and right about that time they introduced Gas-a-hol. It was short lived. Did a lot of carb replacements and fuel pumps. :rolleyes:

But this was really dependant on the quality of the rubber. The better the rubber the longer the resistance. So many cars did not fail.

Flex vehicles use Viton rubber. No problem there. Also, there is no law short of the federal law that legislates home made alcohol for energy usage. As long as its not consumable, you can make it with a federal permit.

And that truly works. Ask the farmers...:biggrin:

I don't know how far apart you two are but maybe you can help him some usetaboost. I see you've been reading the political section Freddie. LOL