Got a carb turbo torn apart and

So the good news is I got my garage space back and next week is finals week so after that I get 3 weeks off. :D Im pulling my rear end out finally and getting my 3.42's and posi put in. Sub reason is I am building a 9" for the group 5.3 turboed drag cutlass Im working on and need to build the jig to weld the brackets on.

Since you have fabrication skills I'd set the original rear up and make something off that to hold the new brackets. Then just set the pinion in location and weld the brackets on.;)

Im glad im going to get back into doing stuff. Im project deprived currently.

Building a jig is my plan! Probably going to do 2 muffler clamps to hold the axle tubes in place and find the center. Have to see if the pinon angle is the same between the 7.5" and 9" compared to the carrier flange on the 9" to the gasket surface on the 7.5". If it is Im just going to use a square and align the flat surfaces square to to the floor. If not, Im just going to build a stand for the U joint to rest on.

Ive got plans! :eek:

Rear end is for a donated club drag car project. I donated my 85 Cutlass roller, theres a donated freshly rebuilt T400, fresh 5.3, twin 70somethings, seats, guages, injectors, harness, ect. Only thing purchased so far is the turbos and wastegates. Rear end is out of a 79 Lincoln Versailles. 1.5" wider I think but it was free!

I donated the car, rear end brackets, battery and cables, AC delete plate, and possibly other stuff.

turbocutlass-1.jpg

Holly crap.:eek: You've been busy it seems.;) Check out baseline suspensions for how to set the rear up. I believe Kevin has the nofo you're loooking for. :D

watch out for the pinion location as in "left or right" as viewed from above. I did a 9 inch swap and didnt take this into account. ended up with an odd vibration. I think the 9 inch is more to the driver side, while a stock 7.5 is to the pass side. both angles must counter on the driveshaft.

Ive got my big green jack on the other side so if one failed the car would only roll a little to one side.

Its been one thing after another with the axle. Turns out the carrier was a series II so I had to order a spacer which I would have rather not run. Was going to reuse the bearings and cups but one of the carrier cups has a divit so I gotta order them too. At least I dont need the car and am in no hurry. Just thought Id be able to put it together faster.

However ive got the garage set back up so thats a bonus.

Its been one thing after another with the axle. Turns out the carrier was a series II so I had to order a spacer which I would have rather not run. Was going to reuse the bearings and cups but one of the carrier cups has a divit so I gotta order them too. At least I dont need the car and am in no hurry. Just thought Id be able to put it together faster.

However ive got the garage set back up so thats a bonus.
My car was a pain to the first posi was wiped second posi was 28 spline axle

Hooplah! Its together. Pattern isnt great, backlash is .005", coast side is great, drive side is a little to the toe, doesnt seem super deep but its as close as I can get it. Putting the crush sleve in soon and buttoning it up. I gotta go back to get smrt et duh skool suh it mite bee a few weaks:rolleyes:.....

picture009-2.jpg

picture007-1.jpg

Obligitory control arm shots.
picture014-1.jpg

HEY! stop looking at my rear ends!
picture010-2.jpg

picture013-1.jpg

Its out of a late 70's Lincoln towncar. It was donated as a Versailles rear end and we got unlucky and it turned out to be a towncar so it was 5" wide. Cut it down, did a ton of machining on the ends since they were way out of round.

Its also missing the calipers since so its getting some 90's Astrovan front rotors and calipers.