GN vs. C6 z06

All the rest of the z06's (which are not slow) are pretty cool cars, but the all aluminum 427 vette, is just outSTANDING, and would whoop pretty much anything out there. are they better on a road course than ours? well yea obviously. but who in the HELL races road courses on the weekends with 2.5 kids and a 50 hr a week job? most of us, that live in typical inner cities, that just get up in the morning, go to work, come home, and then do laundry/dishes dont have such high speed race courses 10 minutes from them. we just find races when we can, like for example, on the way home, on a sunny day, when we decided to take the gn to work on day, to get her some exercise. from a stoplight, on a major road, that vette would get its ass handed to him.
now, would the new 427 vette get beat? probably not. those things are ferocious. they are NOT typical z06's but full on, genuine race cars. though, there are still many daily driver TR's here, that can lay the smack down on one of those things. Ya just gotta know what youre doin thats all.
BUT, go to a car show. whos cars still drop all the jaws to the pavement. ours do. the mysterious all black limited edition buick regal. theres people who STILL dont know what kind of engine they came with.
they literally came out of NOWHERE, made a few here and there for 4 years, whooped a LOT of heiny, embarrassed a LOT of porsche, corvette, pontiac, mustang and ferrari design teams, then just poof. vanished into a cloud of smoke and was gone. leaving all these big muscle car owners wondering what the hell just happened. when driving a nice mustang, porsche, or corvette, you NEVER get the stares, or the thumbs up like when youre in a turbo regal. Buick never fuked around when they did something. their cars were always solid as rocks, built like brick ****houses, and had TONS of torque. Everyone touts the 429 super cobra jet, and the 426 hemi as the baddest guys around. negative. the buick 455 HO stage 1 had a wopping 510 lb/ft. of torque. That car, with just drag radials, would just destroy cudas and shelby mustangs. Buick has always been a division that made cars for adults, by adults. They literally just took a crappy old 3.8 litre regal, which were horrible cars, painted it, threw a turbo on it, and just upset the entire world of muscle cars as we knew it from the 1940's all the way up to the present Z06. NOONE has EVER just modded a car already in their lineup, and done that much damage since. Corvette is just now catching up to a grand national. lol. Thats why I will always stick with Buick. They dont have flashy little sundances, and fieros, and cavaliers, and neons and sparkly little paint jobs to attract all sorts of neat audiences. Theyre adults cars. built by mature adults, for other mature adults. period. if other people dont like it. sell your ride, and buy a buick plain and simple. if youre not riding in a buick, your selling yourself short men.

So just stop and think, the next time someone shoots their mouth off about how bad ass their cars are. Yea, thats nice. your z06 goes 290 miles an hour. great. how much did ya pay for it though? what? 80 thousand dollars? thats nice. take it to 290 very often? no? wow, what a good investment ya just made bro. hope youre happy.
try to mod a newer zo6. yea have fun. how much for a new cold air intake? 400 dollars? yea. can their drivers just yank a head off, and port and polish it by themselves, or have someone else do it, then reinstall in themselves? no? oh ok. sounds like you just blew 80 grand out your ass broseph. wanna take 3 more people in your car on the way to the track? what? you cant fit em? oh sorry, ill take 3 more in my buick. no problem.
why cant you go up that driveway? cuz your front end will scrape on the pavement? oh ok, you just wait here then lol. i can make it. what? you scraped your front end and its a dealer only item that will cost you 965 dollars? whoops. lol. sorry about your luck. whats that? you just bought a new twin turbo porsche 911? greeeat. nice ride bro. how much was your last oil change? 140 dollars, cuz they didnt have your filter, and it required a special oil? awesome. how much was the plugs and wires? 350 bucks? ouch. my really good msd's cost 50 bucks. sucker. Have fun. Screw an exotic car. theyre worthless, and are VERY poor investments. yea so what your steering wheel heats up. who drives their 100,000 dollar car in the freezing cold anyways? ok, so you can take a turn at 135. great. where ya gonna do that at genius? our buicks are the kings of the road, and people are still mad about that. thats fine with me. i only paid ten grand for my mind condition GN and its easily the hottest lookin car on the road hands down. have fun in your imports fags.

Im 19... so do I count as an adult??? :biggrin:

I know what you're saying though. The Corvettes are built for old farts though... only old farts can afford them! That's not to say I dont want one! I personally think the c6 body style is beautiful! The GN on the other hand is ugly... BUT it's bad ass. Chicks will never dig this car, and most people will never even look twice, but these cars impress all of the people who actually count. I think comparing a new z06 to our cars is like comparing a 19 year old girl to a 35 year old woman... the 19 year old looks a hell of a lot better, but that 35 year old knows what shes doing! :tongue:

well bad comparison, but each car is different and there really is no comparison... if someone is running close to a 10 in street trim then that right there proves the car is a BEAST! Who cares who is faster... we still get all the cool points from the people who count anyways!

gn vs zo6

i love my buick . i love turning wrenches . anything can be made fast. i love vettes. i will have one but a used one . all depends on what you like. . buicks are awesome. vettes are awesome. can't we all just get along. just picked up a stock typhoon. awesome vehicle. its not a buick, its not a vette but i love it. and my buick has given me motivation to wrench the hell out of the typhoon because it feels very slow compared to it. its a family affair.

ttypewhite said:
Z06's are far from slow my friend, in street trim, on pump gas you will have your hands full. There is no way with your mods in your sig and pump gas you will be able to whip a Z06 by 8 car lengths. With race fuel, a scammer tire and good boost is a different story, but I still can't see you beating him one by 8 lengths. That would mean you are a second and a half quicker then one, and that would mean you run 9.70's. Not belittling you by any means. But these cars are quick.

I have read this whole thread and like is said above no way with your car did u beat him by 8 car lengths no matter how "perfect" it is tuned and how much he may have spun. I have been around TR's long enough to know how these cars run and react to mods. I know I am gonna get flamed here but "20 psi boost on 93 and no alky with no KR". not happeneing with todays gas no matter what IC you got. And before anyone here berates me please remember it is just my opinion and observation and I am entitled to that.

Imagine if they released an updated version of "ole blacky" in proportion with what they are doing with the camaro. Another 20 years on top? Possibly getting a divorce, but I would be first in line.

06 Z06

i think it is an impressive car as far as performance goes but not when you have to write the check for it :frown: . it is the first vette to be a real threat to the TR crowd but where i live i think i have seen one. i don't think there will be that many around at 80 a pop. i will keep my eyes open though cause i would love to lay the smack down on one :D . i am way under 20k right now so how many Z06's is that? :) .................................................Bob

The new z06 is awesome in stock form, no one can argue with that. I think it's cool that in a 1/4 mile race, it doesn't take much money to make our cars hang with one. But still the z06 is quicker, a lot quicker stock for stock. If I could afford one I would own one.

What really amazes me is the looks I get in the GN. I've been lucky enough with the friends I have to drive or ride in most Lambos, Porsches (even a Carrera GT), Ferraris, and high end Mercedes including the SLR. I can honestly say they don't get the attention the GN gets. You get a lot of people looking at you when driving the Euro cars but a whole different kind of look with the GN. I had a girlfriend a while back that it blew her mind how many people would stop me or her and ask about the car. She didn't get it because all she knew is it was pretty fast. I would never get rid of mine, not even for a C6 Z06.

IMHO ........
If you drive a 20 year old car with a V6, and make any new and or/high dollar performance car think twice about racing you, you have earned the respect. I would not care if a C06 would beat me by 2 seconds at the track. Just think about the look on the drivers face when they see it is little stcok V6 build in the early 80's. Who do you think has the last laugh?

i just saw a new z06 at the track on weds. and it ran a 11.6 in the 1/4. It had the stock tires and appeared stock. They are definitely a hot looking car. I would take one in a minute if I could afford one.

:rolleyes: C6 Z06's are Bad as crap...Period!!!!!!!
They are a product of todays technology . Go back to 87 and the same apples to the Turbo Buicks the tech of the day.
I would roll in a new Z06 in a blink...190 plus, 11.98's in the 1/4, carbon fiber panels, dry sump, titanium conn rods out the box new!!!!!
Come on the thing is a work of art.
Both the GN and Z06 are awesome products from GM and I love em.

I just raced a 70 Challenger w/ a nasty 340 on the street the other day and he could not believe the GN was a V6. So in that situation it is the reverse of the Z06 the 80s tech whooping up in 70s tech...LOL

GN vs Z06

Again guys, you can have your Z06's or anyother mega-dollar supercar for that matter. The Grand National is a LEGEND everywhere. Your Vette may be quicker and faster but it will never carry the Fear Factor the Turbo Buicks do and you will never get the LOOK either. Even when someone has a much faster car than the Buick, they can't wait to race you, to chance a victory over the LEGEND. So I'll take my LEGENDARY Turbo Buick over any other car past or present. TURBO6SMACKDOWN, you are right on target. TURBO 6 FOREVER!!!

Chris

now, a 340 challenger is no joke. that engine was very mean for its weight, and has layed its share of smackdown too. a 340 e body was always one of my favorite combos. my dad built those when they were flyin down the assembly line :) but that new zo6 is just stupid. i think they just took a full blown race car, took all the companies stickers off of it, put the heating and air back in, and put it on the market. its an absolute revolution in u.s. auto making industry. vipers dream about that car when they sleep, and porsches have reoccurring nightmares about how bad they got whooped from night to night. that car has put many a foreign exotic car owners in therapy lol. Id cry too, if i carefully researched for months, just to lay down 98,000 dollars on the new ferrari or porsche, and get whooped by a corvette by 10 car lengths hehehe. BUT, when you pull up next to one of those high dollar cars (i do constantly, as i often cruise upper woodward, which is a SUPER rich area) in your grand national, and they look over... they know exactly what that car is. and all of a sudden, their condecending looks melt into looks of "whoops, thats a bad mother****** there" Very akin to you talkin smack at the bar, then the guy stands up out of his seat, and you didnt notice he was 6'5", and kinda wide lookin lol.

Ive made many a young camaro and mustang owner suddenly feel very inadequate, while cruising gratiot, our local strip, when i pull up at the red light, as they were gunning their throttles, sort of puffin out their brightly coloured chests to the girls in their moms Intrepids, tryin to look bad. that all goes away reeal quick when i reach the red light and stop. they know... cuz theyre all fresh out of auto shop in roseville and east detroit high. they know, cuz when theyre older brothers were in auto shop, the turbo regals were all the rave.. and theyre older brothers imparted to them, the knowledge of the awsome, all black buick V6 turbo. Like our song goes.. " when i walk the street, kings and queens step aside....."

MoeJr said:
I have read this whole thread and like is said above no way with your car did u beat him by 8 car lengths no matter how "perfect" it is tuned and how much he may have spun. I have been around TR's long enough to know how these cars run and react to mods. I know I am gonna get flamed here but "20 psi boost on 93 and no alky with no KR". not happeneing with todays gas no matter what IC you got. And before anyone here berates me please remember it is just my opinion and observation and I am entitled to that.
Well I wish you and whitettype were both in my car when it was done cause YES!! IT WAS DONE!! AND YES 20lbs boost with 93octane. I hope the people that know my car will chime in here seeing you never met me or know my car and you two seem to know so much! YOUR FULL OF IT!! 8 LENGTHS WAS EASY!!. Z06 = looks good pulling up to a vallet but other than that it's just another high dollar pretty car!

I don't know about a high dollar lump!! They are nice cars an of course we can't hang on the top end.. I say good kill an if the guy was spinning or whatever you still won.. I'm kinda partial to vettes myself>> :)

Attachments

• corvette.jpg
    corvette.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 225
MoeJr said:
Originally Posted by MoeJr

scot w. said:
Well I wish you and whitettype were both in my car when it was done cause YES!! IT WAS DONE!! AND YES 20lbs boost with 93octane. I hope the people that know my car will chime in here seeing you never met me or know my car and you two seem to know so much! YOUR FULL OF IT!! 8 LENGTHS WAS EASY!! Z06= High dollar lump. looks good pulling up to a vallet but other than that it's just another high dollar lump!

I'm not quite sure what world of Turbo Buicks MoeJr grew up in, but it's obviously different than those of us that have been around these cars for over 20 years now, and wrenching on them just as long.
I can assure you Moe that Scot's car is what he says it is. I know his car first hand, and have aided heavilly in the tuning.
To make a rediculous statement like ""20 psi boost on 93 and no alky with no KR". not happeneing with todays gas no matter what IC you got."" shows that you haven't quite mastered the art of tuning these cars yet.
Not only can he run 20# on 93 octane pump gas with no knock, but actually 22# in 1st and 2nd.

I got him into that territory. Using much of the same equipment and tuning techniques that I use on my 86 and 87.
Yes, they both easilly run 20+# of boost on straight 93 octane pump gas with no knock or retard.
Maybe our gas here is better than yours. ;) :biggrin:

TurboDave said:
I'm not quite sure what world of Turbo Buicks MoeJr grew up in, but it's obviously different than those of us that have been around these cars for over 20 years now, and wrenching on them just as long.
I can assure you Moe that Scot's car is what he says it is. I know his car first hand, and have aided heavilly in the tuning.
To make a rediculous statement like ""20 psi boost on 93 and no alky with no KR". not happeneing with todays gas no matter what IC you got."" shows that you haven't quite mastered the art of tuning these cars yet.
Not only can he run 20# on 93 octane pump gas with no knock, but actually 22# in 1st and 2nd.

I got him into that territory. Using much of the same equipment and tuning techniques that I use on my 86 and 87.
Yes, they both easilly run 20+# of boost on straight 93 octane pump gas with no knock or retard.
Maybe our gas here is better than yours. ;) :biggrin:

I normaly do not get involed in any of this kind of stuff, BUT. The combo on Scot's car is my combo that i put together for him,Dave did all of the tunning
This car is just Different then most that i have ever worked on. ( and i have been working on these things since 1985 ) Scots car responded better to the
mods than most.As every one knows,all of the GN'S and T'S are not the same You can line up 2 cars with the same mods done to each of them and 1 of them will be faster than the other.When you can get a 2.3 60ft and still run low to mid 7's at 96 to 97 mph in the 1/8 with 22psi in my book for a 3600lb car That is MOVING!!!!!! :cool: I do not know anything about how well the c6 or the zo6's
run.I pay more attention to making all of the customers, that i service, remain
happy with thier performance and depenablity of there cars.

Just my .02 worth

Puddin

scot w.- It doesn't seem like your reading what I wrote. What you described was a bad driver in a z06, not a slow car. If he had the same traction you had, there would be no 8 car lengths. I don't doubt for a minute you whooped him by 8 cars NOW that I know he was spinning, but your first post seemed quite misleading like you just outpowered him. I know what Buicks are capable of, I have been playing with these cars since 87.

ttypewhite said:
Z06's are far from slow my friend, in street trim, on pump gas you will have your hands full. There is no way with your mods in your sig and pump gas you will be able to whip a Z06 by 8 car lengths. With race fuel, a scammer tire and good boost is a different story, but I still can't see you beating him one by 8 lengths. That would mean you are a second and a half quicker then one, and that would mean you run 9.70's. Not belittling you by any means. But these cars are quick.

Ok, let me see if I follow this, Scott is saying he beat a new Z06 Vette on the street by 8 lenghts? Lets forget about what fuel and boost Scott can or can't run for a minute. A new Z06 Vette is capable of running mid to low 11's. How fast would any vehicle have to run in order to put 8 lengths on a mid to low 11's car? You could be right Ttypewhite but lets say for kicks, 8 lenghts would equal just a mir half second difference. At only a difference of one half second would put Scott in the high 10's...I don't suppose Scott has a 10's time slip does he or even a flat 11's slip? The other thing I don't get is, did this happen on the street? You're talking about a car with monster top end speed compared to our cars It's Boniville car setting some new land speed record. I mean, on the street, a Vette could do 200 mph easily and maintain that speed as for our cars, thats a pipe dream. How many times have you ever street raced in exactly a 1/4 mile? Heck, no, people just keep on going until someone is a head of the other. It really sounds like the Vette was just messing around or he didn't know it was a race to begin with :confused: I don't care if the Vette was spinning, on the street, I think he would have still cought up and continued on wards through the fog.

ttypewhite said:
scot w.- It doesn't seem like your reading what I wrote. What you described was a bad driver in a z06, not a slow car. If he had the same traction you had, there would be no 8 car lengths. I don't doubt for a minute you whooped him by 8 cars NOW that I know he was spinning, but your first post seemed quite misleading like you just outpowered him. I know what Buicks are capable of, I have been playing with these cars since 87.
I was paying more attention too my car and looking at gauges, as to him spinning I can say I heard him sqwack second and seen the front end lift right next to my pass door as what happened after that? I don't know! I looked into my rear view mirror and saw him still hitting the gears and seeing the front end lift during his shifts, the whole time I was standing on it! OKAY YOU GO AHEAD AND DOUBT IT! WHO CARES? I BLEW HIM AWAY AND THAT'S "THAT" If you love them so much, second mortgage your home and go get you one of those "BAD BOYS" :rolleyes:

I am a fan of Motorsports Period. I can see past the emblem on the hood of my Buick. I love fast cars no matter what make or model they are. You are taking way too much offense to mere stats. I am not discrediting your car. Understand that. At 20psi without going up against the convertor out of the hole your car is not going to run a decent number at the track, neither is mine for that matter giving that he hit it first. Now hp to wieght ratio of a Vette is good because they are much lighter then our heavty cars. Obviously he had a problem if you chalacked him by 8 cars. You must be able to understand that. Just compare apples to apples. Z06's run from mid 11's to low 11's right out the box. How fast do you think you run at 20psi and no brake torquing to build up boost in street trim? Don't take offense to what I said, its means nothing to me either way if you win or lose. Glad you won. Thats all I am willing to through into this thread. :D