GN vs. C6 z06

SVORay said:
Ok, let me see if I follow this, Scott is saying he beat a new Z06 Vette on the street by 8 lenghts? Lets forget about what fuel and boost Scott can or can't run for a minute. A new Z06 Vette is capable of running mid to low 11's. How fast would any vehicle have to run in order to put 8 lengths on a mid to low 11's car? You could be right Ttypewhite but lets say for kicks, 8 lenghts would equal just a mir half second difference. At only a difference of one half second would put Scott in the high 10's...I don't suppose Scott has a 10's time slip does he or even a flat 11's slip? The other thing I don't get is, did this happen on the street? You're talking about a car with monster top end speed compared to our cars It's Boniville car setting some new land speed record. I mean, on the street, a Vette could do 200 mph easily and maintain that speed as for our cars, thats a pipe dream. How many times have you ever street raced in exactly a 1/4 mile? Heck, no, people just keep on going until someone is a head of the other. It really sounds like the Vette was just messing around or he didn't know it was a race to begin with :confused: I don't care if the Vette was spinning, on the street, I think he would have still cought up and continued on wards through the fog.
This is stupid s**t! all I did was post what I did and a few of you have to doubt me. Hell I could give a s**t about the capabilities of Mid to Low 11sec or not. All the ones iv'e ever seen at the track were lucky to get into the 11's Iv'e seen one at 11.80's. I think your key word was(CAPABLE) They probly are! YES, HE KNEW IT WAS A RACE AND YES IT WAS ON THE STREET AND "" YES I DID BLOW HIM AWAY IN HIS FANCY CAR"" PERIOD!!!! In the street trim I went 7.50 @ 93 in the 1/8th with a 1.74 60ft on 20lbs boost just show me some info on a Z06 doing MUCH better! Hell go get a Z06 and i'll race it!!! just like I did against the other Z06 ( 20lb boost, M/T drag radials, flatfoot it off the line) and we'll see what happens.. I'm over this pissing contest, see ya (mr. know it all's).

scot w. said:
Well I wish you and whitettype were both in my car when it was done cause YES!! IT WAS DONE!! AND YES 20lbs boost with 93octane. I hope the people that know my car will chime in here seeing you never met me or know my car and you two seem to know so much! YOUR FULL OF IT!! 8 LENGTHS WAS EASY!!. Z06 = looks good pulling up to a vallet but other than that it's just another high dollar pretty car!

thats kind of hard to believe, 20lbs on pump gas, did you add like 2 or 3 octane boosters to your fuel.

Im all for the buicks,and the corvette is fast.But the twin turbo dodge hennessey viper is one sick car and although the price is rediculous I would take the viper over the vette any day...

marred4life said:
thats kind of hard to believe, 20lbs on pump gas, did you add like 2 or 3 octane boosters to your fuel.
It's not hard to belive if you know how to tune! NO boosters! just 93octane. read the post by "Turbodave" above... judging from your sig, looks like the tune is your weak point!

Wow!!!!

I didn't realize the can of worms I was opening. I haven't been on the board for a few days due to the Tigers. Went to Game three last night and I'm still recovering. Anyways I was just asking cause my father's friend just bought one and holy **** it screams. Hard to tell how fast it really is because it blows the tires of the rims.

The one gentlemen who says z06=slow :confused: I don't think so. I owned a very lightly modded 87GN from 00-03. It ran a best of 12.40. Stock injectors, turbo, and intercooler. On Oct 31, 02 my wife and I bought a brand new z51 sixspeed vette. Completely stock with 321 miles on the clock it ran 12.87 on a 58 degree day. The next weekend I bought a set of G-Force drag radials went 12.67 and backed it with a 12.64 @111.98 with a crappy 1.92 60. I didn't launch it hard enough the car slightly bogged, however on that run I blew the second gear syncro in it with 450 miles on the clock. Took it to the dealer and said, "it's crazy :cool: my wife was driving and it just wouldn't shift into second."

This was not a C5 ZO6 either. I know you're all saying :rolleyes: no way if someone can tell me how to load video and pictures I'll post the video and the pictures of the vette and my old GN. Both Black (of course the GN) and chrome factory rims it is a sweet picture.

In terms of all around performance (braking, cornering, gas mileage, top end) you can't beat a C5 or C6 for the money. I sold my the old GN and the vette because we had twins last december. Oh my God the Tigers just swept the A's and going to the Series. I'm going to the World Series Fellas :eek: :D

Anyways summer of 05 I got a promotion and was able to buy a the GN I have now. 11.60s on pump gas and slicks and 22mpg and I can put my family in the car. No it won't do 180+, corner like its on rails, or stop on a dime. But most vettes do not run in the 11's and you can't put five people in it. I take the GN any day.

And to the gentleman... you can run 20lbs with 93 depending on your tune. I have really been playing with my car and have done it. Yes, it was 34 degrees outside and with a front mount and 009 injectors and a TE 62 turbo. I have a buddy with a 72 turbo and 60 lbs injectors that runs 22lbs of boost on 40 degree nights. The small turbos heat the charge a lot quicker than the big turbos. It is all tuning. You can pick up a second by just playing with timing, fuel, and driving, and paying extreme detail to the small stuff.

My goal is to really have the best of both worlds, (10 sec street car, be able to do the turns also). And i'm ALMOST there!! more on the susp and it's done!

at the strip, 20lbs boost, 93octane...7.50@93 with a 1.74 60' I have a video of this pass but can't seem to get it posted. must be how it's formated.

malibu78 said:
Oh my God the Tigers just swept the A's and going to the Series. I'm going to the World Series Fellas :eek: :D

Hold the press, screw the rest of this ****, the Tigers are going to the series :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats awsome :cool:

Scot.w said:
In the street trim I went 7.50 @ 93 in the 1/8th with a 1.74 60ft on 20lbs boost just show me some info on a Z06 doing MUCH better! Hell go get a Z06 and i'll race it!!!

The key words is Much Better

There is no dought in my mind that one could build a GN to out run any Vette made. It's not about being MUCH better, this is about putting 8 cars on top of one! You're saying a Z06 wouldn't do much better than your street trim time. But yet you said you did 8 cars better than the one you raced :confused: Futher more, you made it sound like this guy was hosing down his tires, then you come back saying you THINK he was spinning but could only recall him stractching gears?

SVORay said:
Hold the press, screw the rest of this ****, the Tigers are going to the series :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats awsome :cool:

The key words is Much Better

There is no dought in my mind that one could build a GN to out run any Vette made. It's not about being MUCH better, this is about putting 8 cars on top of one! You're saying a Z06 wouldn't do much better than your street trim time. But yet you said you did 8 cars better than the one you raced :confused: Futher more, you made it sound like this guy was hosing down his tires, then you come back saying you THINK he was spinning but could only recall him stractching gears?
Scratching One gear! ( going into second.) after that I was gone and would have had no clue what the hell he was doing. looks like the next time (and there will be a next time im sure) i'll get it on video for all you doubters. who gives a damn? I won anyway, maybe he sould have stayed in it longer, maybe he should have pushed the throttle ALL the way to the floor, maybe he shouldn't race if he does'nt know how, maybe he should buy a Grand National, maybe he should buy a automatic next time cause he can't shift! Fu*k I don't know. I beat him by 8 lengths with what I posted and thats that! maybe next time Marrio Andretti will be driving his car. You can keep on with your sientific reasoning but it is what it is and thats all I can say. this thread is all yours........

Now come on Scot, I'm sure you knew someone would question 8 lenghts. I'm sure you would do the same if the shoe was on the other foot. This horse is dead for sure. I can't speak for everyone, but I still love ya anyways ;)

scot w. said:
It's not hard to belive if you know how to tune! NO boosters! just 93octane. read the post by "Turbodave" above... judging from your sig, looks like the tune is your weak point!

wow your really on the offensive side huh, so does this make you a master gn tuner, sounds like your a spoiled teenager trying to make sence in the buick world, and if your refering to my blown headgasket take note that i have a unmolested original 166k engine with factory headgaskets. if your so good at tuning than why dont you try bieng the next TURBO TWEAK, sucka :eek:

You know I told you I was entitled to my opinion and to not berate me for it but seeings you obviously cannot read Scot let me spell it out for you.

YOU ARE FULL OF BS!! At least make your story believeable.
And I sure wanna know what miracle IC you have that allows you to run 20psi on 93 octane. I have been around these cars since 92 as an owner and working on my friends and customers TR's. I am no kid typing bull. And Dave I do know how to tune these cars so don't even throw that BS at me. I never said you didn't know how to tune so don't say it here to me.

Scot you said you ran 7.50/93 in the 1/8. Lets use the 93 mph figure. If you go here http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/2006/z06/2006z06perf.html you will see every road test for the C6 Z06. The 2 tests that show 0-90 figures avg out to 6.55 sec.

I have put up my BS flag.

Hum ,, :smile: Welcome to the space shuttle I must be from the future an I have already seen it Young Jedi.. But look there is a man doubting me in my rearview mirror, Lets cover him in some dust coming from "21 lbs"///... :eek:

I also run near 20psi with no knock. I am going to put out some food for thought. It is my understanding that torque is what gets us moving in the first part of a drag race. With my smaller turbo the car made a max of around 17-18psi. I made 488ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels at ~4200rpm. I started making over 420ft-lbs at ~3200rpm and at 5000rpm I still made 445ft-lbs. This was a third gear pull with the torque converter locked.

Now from what I have been reading on the Z06's they max out at about 420ft-lbs and a little over 500hp at the fly wheel and everything is up in the rpm band. The best mag test I found on the WEB is only 11.7 at over 120mph.This would seem to work out with around a 2.0X 60ft in a 3100lb car plus driver. I plugged some information into a acceleration program and it matches the mag tests real close. I guess the point I am trying to get to is that it appears that it would be hard to get a bone stock Z06 into it's power band from the dig with out tire spin. A GN is going to be into it's power band pretty quick,,,, even faster with a higher stall converter. Playing around with the progam by giving a GN a slight advantage in traction (no IRS). Here are the results Vett:
3300lbs w/driver
2.00 60'
7.67sec @98.9mph
11.69sec @124.5mph

Typical GN with under 500hp @flywheel
3750lbs w/driver
1.76 60ft
7.30sec @97.9mph
11.38sec @121.21

It is possible butthe high speed advantage goes the the Vette hands down. It takes almot 300hp just to push the GN throught the air at about 115mph.

Just thought I would see what a program would say about the chances of say a GN with a mild cam good stock or FMIC, good exhaust and a turbo of at least a PT52 or larger. By the wat I used several dyno charts posted by board members.

As a note I also used the correct chassis and transmission informaton for both cars (Frontal area, center of gravity, coef of drag, gear ratio etc....).

The point I was getting at is, Read my sig. Et's don't lie. Thats with race fuel 29psi and slicks. Now in street trim with a very conservative tune at 20psi with no alky I have my hands full with a new Z06. Now my car is much quicker then Scott w's. If I can't whoop one by 8 cars in street trim with my car so how do you explain him doing it (I will beat them by 2 cars at that level)??????? At the strip, 20lbs boost, 93octane...7.50@93 with a 1.74 60' as Scott w. said. Now what et in the 1/8th do you think you would have flat stabbing it out of the hole? There goes that 7.5 @93pmh. Obviously the Vette had a problem somewhere in that run. But none the less, the Vette lost large. You follow, you swallow. He just had to go home and lick his soars. Very simple if you ask me.

all those numbers are fine..but ya forgot, to include the tire traction coefficients :) do you know that HIS particular tires would have broken loose at that particular time? take into consideration weather, and the pavement too :)

what i dont get, with the 20lbs of boost on pump gas is why is everyone telling me, to never run anything less than 94 with my kenne belle chip that gives me 2 extra lbs of boost over stock, or ill break something.

I would like to post one correction. The 300hp@115mph was supposed to be about 300hp@~155mph. I was just playing with what the top end would be of a GN.

With the program I had to make some assumptions the biggest was traction. My point is that on paper it is possible. With the Vette one of the assumtions is the transmission. To get the Vette into the rpms something has to slip,,,I could have set the program up to slip the clutch with no tire spin or the slip the tires or no slip at all and let the engine rpm's drop. I chose what I thought a good driver would do and I slipped the tires,,,,not let the engine drop below a fixed rpm. The G's shown on the graph have big drops at each gear change fallowed by a strong increase.

Now for the GN to work here are the assumptions. Traction,,,,,,is 1.76 60' possible on the street,,, and I think this a reasonable assumption. The second assumption, "is the torqure converter matched to the engine?" Is the flash stall at or slightly above the peak torque curve of the engine,,,,,,,again I think this is reasonable to assume. The third and biggest assumption is can the 3.8 make around 485-495hp at the fly wheel at 20psi with no knock on 93 octan. I on a regular bases read of 600+ hp Supercharged Mustangs on pump gas. This is a 4.6litre engine. 600hp/4.6=130.4hp/litre. 495hp/3.8=130.26hp/litre. It would appear possible. The G's shown for the GN do not drop off like the Vette, but they do drop at each gear change. The pull can only be expained as much more consistant. This is largely due to the automatic transmission (torque converter) and better traction.