Engine gurus step inside...

All this speculation with no compression test? Id pull the pan off right away to remove all the rtv from the pickup. Looks like someone was tarring a roof when they sealed up your intake. Fwiw if your making any power and the scanmaster shows detonation the damage is already done.

head removed

Attachments

• IMGP2289.jpg
    IMGP2289.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 471
Looks like it blew one before and someone replaced it with a stock V-6 gasket. No bridge in the water channel on edge of one gasket.
9441PT head gaskets, felpro intake gasket kit, and "Right Stuff" for the corners from the local parts store.
Pull the pan, clean it all out too. Putting the new heads on?

The oily piston has me concerned as well, valve seals? Just wondering if I'd be ok throwing the Champion heads and intake on or yank and rebuild...

Only had the car a few weeks, but it's always had awesome oil pressure... 60psi cold at idle, 40psi warmed up, and 45-60 at cruise speeds, just hate to be this far into it and leave something to chance... p.s. With a goal of mid to low 10's, are the aluminum heads worth the xtra loot over the irons from Champion?

Looks like your goals keep stepping up.

Champion irons "and" a roller cam will get you there with some boost. Then you deal with the stock pistons and bottom end.

My .02.. give the heads a resurfacing and valve job.. reinstall everything with proper gaskets... and get it back on the road.

Start building a new motor for your goals.

Wrong gaskets, wrong use of rtv, etc.. bet it blew the HG and they just replaced the gasket and put it back together with a warped head. You put a little squeeze on it and booom goes the gasket.

Also.. move your boost gauge line to the charcoal line. Put a solid section of hose from MAP port to the 3 bar sensor. No T fittings on that line to the MAP sensor.

If you look at the pic of the cylinders, theres a small imperfection on the edge of the piston, thats also the cylinder that had the oil soaked combustion chamber and spark plug...

If you look at the pic of the cylinders, theres a small imperfection on the edge of the piston, thats also the cylinder that had the oil soaked combustion chamber and spark plug...

Careful with pandoras box.

Maybe the valve seal on the head is bad. Detonation will tear up the piston but I have seen plenty of these motors run with chewed up pistons.. its up to you..

Take the head to a machine shop and see if the problem with oil could have come from the intake valve.. if so.. valve job/resurface and put er back together again. If not.. you have to pull the motor and then starts the 50 questions.

My .02.. give the heads a resurfacing and valve job.. reinstall everything with proper gaskets... and get it back on the road.

Start building a new motor for your goals.

Sounds like good advice, and my wallet won't take a gut punch right before Christmas.. lol
So, valve guides and seals, valve job, resurface, maybe some valve springs, creep up on the tune, finally getting up to 24psi?
Thanks for all of the input guys, should have it running by Wed or Thurs of next week..

Shmitty's shmutts! Was there even a intake gasket on that thing?

You better yank it out and go through it. Who knows what other kind of shady chit is in there.

Shmitty's shmutts! Was there even a intake gasket on that thing?

You better yank it out and go through it. Who knows what other kind of shady chit is in there.

x2 very questionable hands have been in that one......:eek:

Of course junk flies but usually right before it flies apart.

I bet this was a quick fix just before I bought the car..

Get it back together and see if the oil issue is gone. Pulling plugs will tell you. If its still there.. then dont beat the snot out of it and you know your game plan. Worse case it starts ad runs.. and can be moved..

Best case.. she runs perfect and you can crank it up.

Is there an integrity difference between the turbo and non turbo h/g... It would only seem natural, but just wondering...