Engine gurus step inside...

55thunder

www.brhotrods.com
85k mile stock engine, stock turbo, i/c etc.. Installed Cottons 2.5 exhaust, 65lb injectors, tt chip setup for 24psi and alky, alky kit, hot wire, cold air kit, adjustable waste gate, 3 bar map, put boost at 20psi in small increments while monitering scanmaster, everything was xtra safe. Alky was set high, o2 volts staying in the 750-800 range, knock stayed 0.0 for all runs, boost was set below what the chip was designed for, felt strong on all pulls, slowly getting in to it in 2nd and 3rd gears, then I floored it in first, followed by a backfire thru the intake and plumes of oil smoke.. You can hear combustion in the valvecovers. Head gasket? Or worse?

Hi,
How's the engine sound when you spin it over? Several low cylinders,maybe? I think you are right. Unfortunately correct. I am not sure why this happened, except to say that MASSIVE detonation must have occured. Cyls 3 and 6 hit me when this happened. The plug electrodes were burnt right off. I did a wet and dry compression check,under 100 psi on those two. Guess what? When I disassembled the motor,#3 and 6 pistons and rings were bruised a bit,but still fully functional. However, the cam was wiped out. Low compression fooled me, and don't let it fool you into a rebuild. These motors can take a lot of heat before they fail. So be aware that the cam can screw you bigtime!

Wouldn't the scanmaster have showed the detonation? It stayed at 0.0?
I'm gonna yank the engine tomorrow and check everything out...
Just got the car back to the shop, no antifreeze in oil or vice versa...

Wouldn't the scanmaster have showed the detonation? It stayed at 0.0?
I'm gonna yank the engine tomorrow and check everything out...
Just got the car back to the shop, no antifreeze in oil or vice versa...

Has the SM ever reported knock?

If not.... it's possible the knock sensor isn't working properly.

Scanmaster just went on today, with injectors and alky kit. Never moved from 0.0 today, but that's with 19psi and alky set on 5.5....

Hi,
Personally, I would be suspicious of NO knock noise. It's too good to be true,as there is always a rattle going on.

Turn the key on and tap the knock sensor with a screwdriver to see if it's reading anything. It should!

If it does, check your rocker shaft. Then do a compression test.

Faulty knock sensor is possible I suppose, but it never even hinted at laying over and I never heard a trace..

I guess this just sped up my Champion heads and intake install...lol
Pulling it out in the a.m. I want to know what happened...

Its odd that this happened in a first gear pull where the load is the least... Made a dozen or more high gear pulls without a hint of trouble...

Look for things that maybe the cause of the issue. Loose vacuum lines, wires, or unplugged sensors. Are you sure the alky was working? Post pics also if you can.

Alky was functioning well, tested before every run. its making some racket from pass side it seems, and pulsing smoke from breathers and exhaust...

Doesn't always take detonation to push a head gasket out.

Pull the intake and see if the head gasket pushed into the valley.

Can't wait to tear into it in the a.m. Goal is to have a true 10.50 car without having to beat its brains out, should I leave the bottom as is if its ok, or freshen with piston, rings, bearings, cam etc.. adding champion heads and intake package for sure while I'm at it...

Intake getting ready to come off, plugs look fine other than one being oil soaked.... All electrodes look good...

Just noticing that my "stock" engine has ARP headbolts...
Heads coming off now...

Attachments

• IMGP2413.jpg
    IMGP2413.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 517