Dyno Numbers Guesstimate

cuda6pak

Rather than cludder up Daniel Jost's thread here's another one. :D Heading to the dyno next Friday for a few runs. Mods are in my sig. Running 93/alkycontrol twin nozzle at 5.5 setting, 25psi, 10.5 A/F, 75-80% IDC on 60's, 21* timing.

One thing I noticed is that my converter slip seems to be high using data from my PL file and a generic online slip calculator. I recall my engine builder mentioning something about my converter being an 18 blade vs the usual 17 (or 17 vs 16), which may cause me to push through it a bit. It's a Dusty spec'd PTC 9.5" 3200 NL (spec'd for old combo with same turbo/alky/boost but with mild ported heads/intake/stock rockers and 208 cam).

I'll report back with numbers, video, and hopefully no broken parts next weekend :eek:

About 570whp if the load is the same as where you took you dc readings. The 18 blades I have couple extremely hard and slip was about 6-7%@128mph on the old 10.61 with 60-1 thread. In my black car slip was about 5-6%@138-139mph. Both 18 blade with the same pump. Flash stall was about 5050 on the slower car and 5350-5400 on the quicker one.

Well I achieved one of my goals....didn't break the car :D (did spit up some trans fluid though :eek: ). Forgot to datalog the first run, attached are the last four runs in numerical order with the dyno runs. Last two runs I pulled the air filter and leaned out target AFR to 10.7, otherwise it was right off the street from OP. Anyone have any ideas where I'm leaving power on the table?

GNdyno001-1.jpg

Attachments

• test2.006.dat
    88.4 KB · Views: 57
  • test2.007.dat
    84.4 KB · Views: 39
  • test2.008.dat
    93.9 KB · Views: 50
  • test2.009.dat
    76.1 KB · Views: 44
Based on the last log 009 and graph . . . . It looks to me that max torque is around 4950 rpm and max power around 5800 rpm.
With the model I use, it “Should” have been 72lb/min @5800 rpm or 573 whp.

Slipping trans, dyno load settings, converter coupling etc. could be the difference.
I am just not sure if the converter can fully couple that quick (4.5 second run)

I will wait for the Bison Metal calculator :D . . . (No pun intended)

Jerryl said:
Based on the last log 009 and graph . . . . It looks to me that max torque is around 4950 rpm and max power around 5800 rpm.
With the model I use, it “Should” have been 72lb/min @5800 rpm or 573 whp.

Slipping trans, dyno load settings, converter coupling etc. could be the difference.
I am just not sure if the converter can fully couple that quick (4.5 second run)

I will wait for the Bison Metal calculator :D . . . (No pun intended)

With 210* intake duration and a ptc 9.5" peak power should be about the same as peak torque maybe a little more torque than hp and peak power rpm should be at 5000rpm under full load.

Do you have any pulls showing rpm climb instead of mph?

K.

With 210* intake duration and a ptc 9.5" peak power should be about the same as peak torque maybe a little more torque than hp and peak power rpm should be at 5000rpm under full load.
What cam would you use to peak at 5500-5600 on Champion irons?

Jerryl said:
What cam would you use to peak at 5500-5600 on Champion irons?
218 intake duration. 108 LS if I was looking for the most possible peak. Needs a looser converter for that though. Id probably order comp xfi lobes and 110LS. Probably wind up installed around 108*CL. Needs good springs or your SOL. There are double springs out there that will have this covered. No one offers a "kit" that will have enough spring for a cam like this. You have to look in the catalogs and figure it out. The guide o.d. May need to be reduced to allow a seal to be run. I'd probably run a 1.6 rocket ratio. Plenty of cam to run 140mph if the engine could handle it. 3:1 PR on a stock stroke 9:1 engine on 116 will run 140mph like this. 80lbs/min

Nice pulls! Could it just be this dyno is wrong? Our combo's are similar. The only difference I see is your're running a little more turbo and 5psi more boost and I'm running a little more cam than you. Mine dynoed 501 HP 511TQ @ 20psi 21* on 93 w/alky. I would assume the 18 blade is to compliment the 66mm wheel. I'm no EXPERT, but I would have thought your combo needs a little more cam than you're running. I thought you would have been 550+ on that tune. I hope to be at 550+ when I reach 25+ psi. Take it to the track and see what it does. You might be surprised.:)

edit: Do you know what the CR is?

Nice pulls! Could it just be this dyno is wrong? Our combo's are similar. The only difference I see is your're running a little more turbo and 5psi more boost and I'm running a little more cam than you. Mine dynoed 501 HP 511TQ @ 20psi 21* on 93 w/alky. I would assume the 18 blade is to compliment the 66mm wheel. I'm no EXPERT, but I would have thought your combo needs a little more cam than you're running. I thought you would have been 550+ on that tune. I hope to be at 550+ when I reach 25+ psi. Take it to the track and see what it does. You might be surprised.:)

edit: Do you know what the CR is?

I don't quite remember the CR, it may be in my paperwork with the motor somewhere. I'm not sure if the dyno was "off" or reads low, as I was the only one that dyno'd that day. Doing a quick calc of the mph of when I let off on the dyno to my RPM in the datalog it looks like I'm getting roughly 6% slip, so looks like I'm not blowing through the converter. About the cam, I guess I didn't think my cam was too small, as I'd seen others run very similar setup with the same cam or even a 205 roller and make ~525whp with the same boost & timing as me. See member OnAlky's sig -
Forged shortblock with Eagle crank and rods with billet centers and CP pistons,6776dbb,Dual nozzle Alkycontrol, Champion irons,Champion lower intake, 210/215, Harland sharp RR,9.5" ptc, Caspers hotwire kit,70mm TB, precision upper, power plate, walbro 255lph, 60's, zo6 MAF, cottons FMIC, E/A trans with brake, 3in ATR DP, 4 core alloy radiator, boxed control arms, air bag rr, 550whp 550wtq at 24# in 90* heat

Only difference in our setups is he is running a 6776dbb vs my CPT66BB, with both of us running target ~10.5:1 AFR. Very well could be the dyno reading low, I guess I'll just have to take it to the track to really see the numbers :D

Id like to see The rpms instead of mph too. Seems like ur on Ur way to make good power and then it dies at 95mph. And I can't imagine that being any higher then 4000rpms in 3rd.

Have u verified that the timing is 21*

U should be up much higher. Mine just dynoed 590whp 2 days ago

I guess I'll just have to take it to the track to really see the numbers :D[/quote]

;)[/quote]

That 550HP 550TQ Onalky87 made at 24 sounds about right! ;) That's where I want to be...

You need to put each run on a separate page. Looks like you arent getting the same ramp in on each pass. With a 28" tire and BR calibrated trans you should be able to hammer it at about 63mph.