Volt booster or not?

cuda6pak

I recall reading that most people disconnect their volt booster when running methanol (I did too) as it can cause the pump to spray too much and bog down the motor, and thus slower times/less hp. I'm going to the dyno next Friday and was wondering if I should throw my Caspers volt booster back on for a back to back run and see what it looks like....any advice? Thoughts?

Combo is in my sig...Twin nozzle alkycontrol on setting 5.5 with 25psi of boost, zero knock, 10.5 AFR and 80% IDC around 110mph. Here is a link to my PL file http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/powerlogger-run-thoughts.382442/

You would re adjust the tune to compensate for the voltage increase. I know I had to adjust the knobs on my controller a little as well as run less nozzle than most. Then again I have xfi so the fueling is more easily adjusted with a few keystrokes. I made some of the fastest 93/alky passes ever and ran a volt booster. Voltage increases to the main fuel system will not hurt you. Running out of pump after 9sec at 800+hp will leave you a lot lighter in the end after your wallet and bank account are empty.

cuda6pak said:
I recall reading that most people disconnect their volt booster when running methanol (I did too) as it can cause the pump to spray too much and bog down the motor, and thus slower times/less hp. I'm going to the dyno next Friday and was wondering if I should throw my Caspers volt booster back on for a back to back run and see what it looks like....any advice? Thoughts?

Combo is in my sig...Twin nozzle alkycontrol on setting 5.5 with 25psi of boost, zero knock, 10.5 AFR and 80% IDC around 110mph. Here is a link to my PL file http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/powerlogger-run-thoughts.382442/

Your peak power should be at 5100 or within 100rpm of it. You only need a single nozzle where you are now especially if you run the volt booster. It would be a lot more fun with a smaller turbo. 30psi with what you currently have will get you about 134mph. A 60-1 or if you were looking to run 135mph a 6266. I do a lot of custom stuff with forged milled wheels too. I have a common 60-1 replacement that will work up to 700hp and it spools fast with a 76p ex wheel.

voltage is a huge deal to any fuel system,problem is most find out after things break,put the volt booster back on and tune.i also was surprised how the fuel sytem woke up:)

You would re adjust the tune to compensate for the voltage increase. I know I had to adjust the knobs on my controller a little as well as run less nozzle than most. Then again I have xfi so the fueling is more easily adjusted with a few keystrokes. I made some of the fastest 93/alky passes ever and ran a volt booster. Voltage increases to the main fuel system will not hurt you. Running out of pump after 9sec at 800+hp will leave you a lot lighter in the end after your wallet and bank account are empty.

Don't mean to hi-jack in anyway... Would running a BAP suffice if the OP were running ALKY, still needed the voltage and didn't want to re-tune? I'm on the fence on the BAP or VB. To me it seems like the VB and re-tune is the way to go. I have a new DW pump in and need the extra voltage.

Don't mean to hi-jack in anyway... Would running a BAP suffice if the OP were running ALKY, still needed the voltage and didn't want to re-tune? I'm on the fence on the BAP or VB. To me it seems like the VB and re-tune is the way to go. I have a new DW pump in and need the extra voltage.
I went with a BAP when I got my DW pump with and have never looked back. The BAP is adjustable and increases voltage only to the FP.

87WE4BOOSTED said:

The tune will still need to be looked at and often adjusted. Adding pump voltage often increases high pressure volume where it isnt always noticeable as a prior weakness in fuel delivery. This is especially true over 700hp. A couple psi isnt noticeable on a gauge. A data log would be a lot easier to see. Adding voltage makes everything work better. Simply hot wiring the fuel injection often results in a drop in dc with no other change. it's cheap and easy to add a volt booster. Having a slightly rich tune isn't going to hurt you. Volt boosters aren't replacements for good wiring and proper grounds. I rarely need more than 20gph worth of nozzle on one of these lc2 engines.