Up for debate

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
I am asking this question due to a lot of conflicting answers I've received. Here's my issue...
I'm currently running a single Walbro 340 (255), 80# inj, and Razors single alky nozzle set up. I can put on dual if need be for added fuel.

My current goal is to run a 10.99 on a stock unopened engine, with a bison 62/62 Turbo, 3200 stall, THDP, on drag Radials, using 3:45 rear gears. I have everything in place to do this with the exception of a bigger fuel pump that some people seem to think I may need, while others think I will be good down to a 10.50 ET using my single pump. I also recently installed a Casper Volt Booster, Racetronix injector harness with booster.

What your thoughts? The car runs excellent right now with 20psi. My concern is will I run into any issues when I run upwards of 28-30 psi ???

I will be going to race this coming Friday. Depending on what you guys say here, I will either keep the 80# in place! or I will stick the 60# back in before Friday and call it a day. Don't want too, If I don't have Too. ;)

Thanks guys!

I've gone 127+ with a single pump and old SMC alky. You will need over 30psi with unopened engine unless the air is really good. You would need 121mph. That's a hell of a challenge on an unopened engine with 93 octane with a regal. Id log the runs and review the data carefully. Also use a calibrated MAP sensor to make sure the data collected is accurate. Watch voltage throughout the passes. The injectors won't matter. The DC will obviously be a lot less with over 30% more injector flow potential. If this a chip car you really need a few chips with increased fuel and reduced timing as you turn it up.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Ok, thanks Bison. As always, I absolutely respect you wealth of knowledge, and thanks for sharing your own personal experiences. Right now, I don't have a power logger. I do however have an up dated Scan Master, AEM Wideband in place and religiously watch them both. I also check my spark plugs and ensure they are consistent, not to dark/rich and not to light/lean. As with all my car of the past, I'll take small steps in tuning this one too. I'll get a power logger before pushing the envelope to much.

Done 10's at 127 as well on a single walbro 340 pump hotwired on race gas. Had bowl ported heads and 210/210 cam, less stall and a 10.0 rated turbo. You have enough pump, though I think the heads/cam you are running will hold you back. I'd be shooting for low 11's to be happy, I have not felt any difference runnin 11.2 vs 10.9 myself, feels the same. It's just a number. You'll need a great launch and trap at least 120 mph to run a 10.9x. Change only one thing at a time.

Thanks TurboTNZO6. You guys are defiantly making me see the picture that it can be done wether it a stock engine, or a modded one. I will be leaving the 80# in, and will slowly tune the car with the combo I currently have. Before the car ran a best of 96mph 1/8 with a TA60-1 and 50#. I'm pretty sure taking baby step I can improve a little bit. We shall see.

Sounds like you need seat time behind the wheel and work on the tune a small step at a time

Sounds like you need seat time behind the wheel and work on the tune a small step at a time

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up. I should be able to get quite a few passes in tomorrow night. Just going over things in my head right now and planning my best course of action/actions...lol My main focus will be tuning the best I can by chip, and in return hopefully getting the best AFR possible. Ill suppress any knock that might occur by means of methanol.

Man, getting excited about this Alky tuning again...it's been a while! Let the fun begain. :)

Quick question guys. Should I up my fuel pressure a pound or two more with the 80# ?

Right now it still at 43 psi vacuum line off that I was running with the 60#.

Ray................
and the results are?
I feel you'll be at the limit the fuel pump can supply. the alky will cover the possible lean condition.
I had to go to dual pumps on my LS motor car, just couldn't supply enough with a single pump.

Ray................
and the results are?
I feel you'll be at the limit the fuel pump can supply. the alky will cover the possible lean condition.
I had to go to dual pumps on my LS motor car, just couldn't supply enough with a single pump.

Lee,
Result are getting there slowly with more left in it. I made 5 passes and ended up running a best of 7.5@95 with 27 psi on the last pass. 60ft was a 1.9X, I was also feathering it on all the passes, even with these big 295/50-16 M/T drag radials. Honestly, I don't think I'm at the limits of my pump yet. O2's were 790, and I didn't start adding any fuel until the last pass.

What's killing me is the stall converter. Dusty said my 9/11 3200 stall is probably only stalling to 2300-2400, sure enough, last night I tested it, and at 1 pound of boost it only stalled to 2350. I will be calling PTC on Monday. This is the last piece of the puzzle. This change should net about 3mph and 2-3 tents. This car will run a high 10 with a little more boost and tuning. Or, I'll break it trying. lol

Gee, that would be a 1st, ( break it) LOL
can you log fuel pressure at speed?
thats how I found out the pump wasn't capable .

No, can't log fuel pressure at speed via computer. But, I do know it rises 1 pound for each pound of boost per my fuel pressure gauge. Remember this is on a stock long block too. Not near as efficient as your LS Turbo engine. That thing has to be a beast!

I've been out of the game for a while, but I started thinking about this pump more and more and now I'm sure it will support 10's easily with Alky. On this note....and thinking about a couple cars of the past...

My Silver 86 TType did 7.0-7.3 @ 98mph on slicks regularly with a stock engine, TE-45A, single Walbro, 60# and Alky.

Also that Blue 86 TType I sold you had a single Walbro, ported heads, 212-212 Billet Roller Cam, TE-45a, Alky, and it did 550+ WHP, before it started to run of fuel.. Right? Didn't you make like 579rwhp with a little more tuning? Anyway, I did 11.0@128 with that set up.

Just recently Tony's son (Nathan), if you know them?.... discovered his wire to his hobs switch got jerked loose and was running a single Walbro on his fully built race engine, champion aluminum heads, 96#, FAST, Precision 6765 Turbo, ect He race this car a few times with us with no issue.

A few experienced guys said it will be fine, and right now I don't see any problem with a single. As always, I will tune slowly, and get the max out of my current combo with my goal of 10.99 in mind.

Ray
I have the blue car motor sitting in the garage, still all together, waiting to go in my WE4. along with all billet 200r4 from donnie.
trans has less than 1 mile on it!
all wrapped up, and lonely, LOL
it made just over 600 rwhp last time on the dyno, it really embarrassed a big block corvette owner,
he was talking sh!t , and quickly shut up after a few pulls.

Lee,
Too cool! I knew you said you had did some more tuning with it. Just didn't know the full results. That was the first engine I ever built, and will be building another one identical to it for the TTA. It's a proven combo, that hurts a whole lotta feelings. Yeah, big blocks ain't nothing to worry about, unless it Turbo'ed and on Alcohol like Scott's While yellow bullet truck. Hope to see that WE4 in due time!